HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Those relief shots are a tad misleading though. Yes - Sask. has higher elevations than Manitoba, but we aren't talking Rocky Mountains here. And it's not like those high sections of relief scattered throughout the province jump out at you as you approach them on the highway - it's generally gentle rises in the topography.

I mean, looking at the map, you would think that eastern MB and NWO are flat as a pancake - and anyone who's ever been there would certainly argue otherwise.

I will concede to the fact that the areas immediately east and west of Winnipeg is without a doubt the flattest land I have ever encountered.
Actually, the map I posted should be a very accurate depiction of the topography. I don't know why you would think that eastern MB and NWO are flat from that picture.. you can clearly see a "rippled" texture in those areas, which is a good indicator of hilly terrain. The "flat" areas can easily be seen as the "smooth" areas.

now compare to this original image. notice how "smooth" the terrain is under the flat green areas?

You can also see from my overlay that the majority of the trans canada highway passes through the flat areas, which is why so many people think Saskatchewan has no hills.

Anyone who has driven thru Sask on the TCH also knows that the highway is actually rather hilly from Moose Jaw to the Alberta border, which is also evident by looking at the map.

So as you can see, that relief map is actually an accurate representation of how hilly Saskatchewan is. We are actually a very hilly province overall.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan