HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I dunno. I drove between Palm Springs and LA recently, and got off the 10/215 to see downtown Riverside since it's gotten a bit of attention on this forum. I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely saw more pedestrians in downtown Riverside in that afternoon than I ever have on any street in Houston. Not to mention, the surrounding residential neighborhoods in Riverside felt very old California to me. I thought it was quite charming.
Downtown Riverside is definitely a lot prettier than Downtown Houston, but prettier doesn’t necessarily mean more interesting. There are some serious “high culture” performance companies… ballet, opera, symphony, and a nationally renowned resident theater company along with major league baseball, basketball and soccer in Downtown Houston. Plus performance venues for touring music and theater productions.

If you want to see pedestrians in downtown Houston, you have to be lucky enough to be there when the weather is really good, and go to where people hang out when the weather is really good, namely Discovery Green and, to a lesser extent, Market Square parks. Discovery Green looked like this when I went one Tuesday afternoon in February 2020 (just before everything went “viral” ) when the weather was terrific:

Discovery Green Park
on Flickr

Discovery Green Park
on Flickr

Discovery Green Park
on Flickr

Discovery Green Park
on Flickr

Levitating in Discovery Green Park
on Flickr

Avenida de las Americas
on Flickr