HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Right on, they built a highway or two. I'd much rather that equalization go to hospitals, growing the economy (to get off equalization) or a litany of other things which are more important than shaving seconds off a commute. Last I checked Manitoba's economy (GDP) was almost $10000 CAD per capita larger than New Brunswick and that's even when they have easily accessible seaports for easy exports. Nevermind the fact that the rampant corruption in favour of the feudal lords of the Irving Group of Companies is hardly something desirable to emulate. I suppose we're doing something right.
The highway upgrades in NB were not for "shaving seconds off a commute". They were completed to recognize that NB is a hub province for Atlantic Canada for connections to the US and Central Canada. Similar rationale the MB government is now using to justify the upgrade to the Perimeter Highway in Winnipeg.

Yes, per capita GDP in MB is higher than NB (around $6200 difference using 2022 data). Still, MB's numbers are nothing to brag about as MB's per capita GDP is $15000 less than Newfoundland's and nearly $36,000 less than neighbouring Saskatchewan. Overall, MB's per capita GDP is 8.3% lower than the Canadian average.

Your comment begs the question where does the equalization money go? Manitoba received a 24% increase in equalization for 2024-25; now receiving $4.3B annually. It seems the funds are not being invested in infrastructure in MB for sure.

And since were are on a MB vs. NB comparison; how about a comparison of crime stats?

Last edited by Ozabald; Jul 18, 2024 at 4:30 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan