HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:43 AM

Food Banks

Saw a program today on Regina's new Food Bank that will be more like a grocery store where you come in get only the items you need and want and then leave with your groceries. Sounds like a good idea as people will only get the groceries they need and want and not just a huge package some of which will never be eaten. The thing that got me was how normal the discussion was without even touching on how pathetic things are that it's now just considered another store like Leon's or Shoppers Drug Mart.

Our Food Bank industry has become so normal that we don't even question its purpose or even its efficacy. I am NOT questioning the profound concern that the many volunteers and organizers have about the wanting to help our most vulnerable citizens but rather have we let the system go on for too long. In other words, is it time to phase out Food Banks? They provide a needed service but that was a service the gov't once provided but no more. Now it's a crutch for gov'ts as they no longer have to ensure that all Canadians enjoy a decent standard of living without having to resort to charity.

For myself, I think they are starting to become part of the problem of our increasing and entrenched poverty................they let gov't off the hook. I am certainly not saying they be shut down immediately but gradually phased out over, for example, a 3 year period.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada