HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
You don't need a direct hit in the NE for heavy impacts to be felt. Hurricane Ida at its weakest point wrecked significant damage across many NE states. Any other coastal region wouldn't suffer the same impacts but because cities like NY or Philadelphia have old infrastructure not adapted to weather, old buildings (with basements), and a different soil composition/vegetation, flooding was much more prevalent.

Ida's Path:

Ida hit New Orleans as a category 3/4 and caused 18 billion dollars in damage. When Ida reached the NE, it wasn't even a tropical storm and caused 16 billion to 24 billion dollars in damage, making Ida the 6th costliest hurricane on record.

This Hurricane season is projected to be extremely active with low wind shear, higher than average sea surface temperature, and the La Nina pattern arriving early. Sandy was a once in a 500 year event at its impact, but I'd say it's more like a once a decade or twice a decade event. If you are a coastal state. YOU. ARE. NOT. IMMUNE. TO. STORMS.

But on a side note im glad cities like NYC are weather proofing to minimize damages. Houston should take notes lol
I recall (from reading about it; I wasn’t born yet) that Hurricane Camille (1969) also caused lots of damage to WV and Western VA, which is pretty damn far inland.

(Path somewhat similar to your image of Ida.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions