HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:04 AM

I haven't recently had a chance to be checking out much of the ongoing construction around Metro Vancouver, but few weeks ago I did make a trip to see how the new Pattullo Bridge is coming along. It was a really nice sunny day to be walking around New Westminster shoreline and across the old bridge.

When the new bridge is completed next year, there will be in total four bridges across the river before the old bridge is demolished on the following year.

Traffic arrangements on the north end are starting to take shape.

Nearby Victoria Hill neighborhood has such awesome views, especially on a beautiful day like this.

The exiting bridge is way past its prime, having been completed 87 years ago. It is estimated that it could collapse in case of a major earthquake or during a freak storm.

Lougheed and Burquitlam skylines are looking pretty awesome, considering that a short 5 years ago there was no skyline to talk about.

City of New Westminster.

The center pylon has officially reached its peak height of 168 meters, which makes it the new landmark. I wish some nice lighting would be added to the new bridge once completed, but such things don't unfortunately happen in Vancouver.

First piece of road deck went up recently and there are going to be 80 cables to hold the entire road deck.

On south end, the new bridge will have an offramp connecting it with the Highway 17 that runs directly below it.

Brownsville Bar Park is not a very great park in itself, but it offers some nice views of the construction, as well as the other bridges crossing the river.

I have to admin, I am going to miss the old bridge, as it is pretty iconic part of our city.

The fourth crossing is a railway swing bridge that was built in 1904 and still operates today with no plans for a replacement.

And there you have it. It was a hot day to walk across the bridge and see it from different angles, but it was worth it to capture some photos to remember the old bridge once it will be gone. I hope you enjoyed!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure