HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The one under construction is called Cunard. It's an unfortunate development. The biggest gaff is the a solid exterior wall on the 3rd and 4th floors hiding parking. Cladding can still save it. The cladding in the renderings doesn't suggest quality.
I don't think it's that bad, but it's not as nice as some other prominent newer developments and arguably it's worse than the circa 2000 building next door in some ways. I wonder if they put the parking above due to flooding. Some other waterfront buildings do have underground parking, and they are normally elevated by a few m in anticipation of further sea level rise.

There is/was a waterfront development corp that is now I think called Build NS that manages these lands and I think slows down the development compared to what would happen if they were privately owned. Virtually all strangely underused sites that have sat for decades are tied to some level of government or large institution like Dalhousie.

This photo is a snapshot from 2022 or so and a lot of changes are coming. It's hard to say what will happen with construction but the current pipeline is much larger than it was in the 2010's, with 30+ storey proposals now being common. There are 3 or 4 decent-sized developments underway downtown but most construction will likely shift to the "midtown" area around Robie/Almon (including Robie running north from Spring Garden Road) and Dartmouth across the bridge (currently the Macdonald toll plaza wasteland). That's going to be the most central area geographically in the metro and for transit, and the old downtown area is running out of zoned buildable space.

Somebody was saying there's a planning exercise to explore adding more services and density around that midtown area. I wonder if they will eventually allow 40+ storey towers there. There are multiple large development sites around Richmond Yards. Eventually there could be enough demand to justify some underground rapid transit that serves these areas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada