HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Anytime the city wants to touch something over or under a train line, or provincial road the city must consult with the rail owner or highway owner. In this case CN who are known to be difficult. My understanding is they had to ask if they can do anything or if it is the responsibility of CN. CN has essentially said they will not be doing work on the bridges, but the city has been given permission to fix them.

Having spoken to Cameron personally about this when we were out knocking on doors, I don't think he thought CN would pay for anything.

They have projects being worked on. Staff do not enjoy being directed by council members to drop their current work and do something else. There is planning that is involved in large organizations like this. I'm actually surprised they're doing it so quickly. Usually politicians wouldn't tell you about this until March when it's going to get fixed next week to make it look like they do stuff really fast, but that's not the reality of how these things work unfortunately.
CP are the difficult ones when it comes to the former TH&B tracks into the GO Centre. I had thought some of the rail crossings and their undersides were fixed up when GO service was introduced, but that was a while ago and the conditions on the streets beneath them is horrid today. Not just the bird poop, but garbage, drug paraphernalia, inadequate lighting... I walked to that station when I lived off Locke and quickly changed my route to avoid the underpass on James, not that I had much to fear personally, but it was just gross.

CP is also the entity that demanded an LRT underpass for their track east of Gage that's used maybe 2-3 times per day by trains. That has to be a very costly part of the project!

Are there still issues with the road bridges crossing the CN line around West Harbour? Many have been replaced, haven't they? (I think James is the only one that hasn't, but it seems to be in good shape at least when driving across). The level crossings in the city are generally really bad, especially at the spurs but even the ones that intersect the main line can be an adventure (Woodward, Ottawa, Gage, and Sherman, for example). I think a few have been improved in the past year or so but I imagine it was a teeth-pulling experience to have that done. CP has some iffy ones too east of downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy