HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 3:43 AM

Second time I've passed through Schomberg. I was driving up north today and I remember when I passed through five years ago that it gave me a slightly eerie feeling so I decided to go through it again. And yup, the way they incorporated a few old industrial buildings into something else along the main street just gives off a different vibe. I've never seen a main street like it. A mix of buildings from a few different eras.

It's not fancy and it's not grimey. But it gives off a certain charm. And what made it more eerie was that the street was full of cars parked and the few lots had cars, but I saw like only two people outside. Sure, not many streetfront patios, but surely there should have been people and families walking up and down the sidwalks but nope! And that was the case five years ago too. That you would definitely find in another village also just off Hwy. 27, being Kleinburg.

And the week prior I drove through the tiny village of Orono at about 5pm, when there should have been more activity but there were only three cars parked. It just qualifies as a main street by having a few business and old town hall, with some of it being quite charming, and usually, that means there should be more activity. Was surprised to see the lack thereof. The only other thing I will remember Orono for was when I went to Jungle Cat World on the behind the scenes tour (for only $42 12 years ago) and got to pet a baby tiger (also did that at Killman Zoo in Caledonia along with a baby lion), feed and play with a half dozen lemurs and play with two young eurasian lynx with one of them grabbing my straw hat from behind and digging his claws into my scalp. I was sitting down when it happened and when I got up, the little feline bastard was still hanging on with his back paws planted into my back. Zookeeper had to pull him off. I will remember that and the story a couple years later of how a cougar escaped from there by digging under both fences from his enclosure and the zoo having to hire a hunter to track it down and shoot it from across a field.

Last edited by megadude; Aug 17, 2023 at 3:55 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada