Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:19 AM
|
|
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,767
|
|
So much for the greenest city BS the city likes to spout:
Dream of a new home is torn apart in Cambie corridor neighbourhood
KERRY GOLD
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED 8 HOURS AGO
Daphne Roubini thought she’d found the replacement home of her dreams.
Her newly purchased, completely renovated, 2,600-square-foot, three-level mid-century modern custom-built home, was worth around $950,000, not including the lot. The four-bedroom house sat on a lot in the highly priced Cambie corridor neighbourhood, near Queen Elizabeth Park. About three years ago, the 1950s home had undergone a major renovation with high-end finishings, including an extension.
Ms. Roubini saw its oak engineered hardwood floors, gourmet kitchen, marble counters and 22-foot ceiling foyer and knew she could never afford to build a home such as that one. The developer, Pennyfarthing Homes, had contacted movers Nickel Bros. to move the house at 4989 Ash St. Ms. Roubini had purchased it for $200,000.
The house was on one of four properties that Pennyfarthing had assembled in order to develop two four-storey condominiums...
However, there was a major obstacle: the City of Vancouver couldn’t issue the move-off building permit because of a trolley line that was in the way, and operator Coast Mountain Bus Company couldn’t address it in time.
The company said they received the request mid-October, but it was “too large in scope to accommodate their timeline without jeopardizing transit service.”....
...“Accommodating their request would have caused cancelled service for nine trolley bus routes – which equates to roughly half of that morning’s total trolley bus service on our system,” CMBC said in an e-mail.
An alternate plan to do the move at night could not be accommodated by the Vancouver Park Board, CMBC said.
Instead of moving the house to Cortes Island, on a late November day, an emotional Jeremy Nickel watched an excavator rip the house down. A major portion of the estimated 90 tonnes of construction waste went to the landfill, and the company’s three weeks of full-time work, and around $50,000 in costs, had been for naught....(bold mine)
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-est...-apart-in-cambie-corridor-neighbourhood/
|