HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Right on, they built a highway or two. I'd much rather that equalization go to hospitals, growing the economy (to get off equalization) or a litany of other things which are more important than shaving seconds off a commute. Last I checked Manitoba's economy (GDP) was almost $10000 CAD per capita larger than New Brunswick and that's even when they have easily accessible seaports for easy exports. Nevermind the fact that the rampant corruption in favour of the feudal lords of the Irving Group of Companies is hardly something desirable to emulate. I suppose we're doing something right.
The highway upgrades in NB were not for "shaving seconds off a commute". They were completed to recognize that NB is a hub province for Atlantic Canada for connections to the US and Central Canada. Similar rationale the MB government is now using to justify the upgrade to the Perimeter Highway in Winnipeg.

Yes, per capita GDP in MB is higher than NB (around $6200 difference using 2022 data). Still, MB's numbers are nothing to brag about as MB's per capita GDP is $15000 less than Newfoundland's and nearly $36,000 less than neighbouring Saskatchewan. Overall, MB's per capita GDP is 8.3% lower than the Canadian average.

Your comment begs the question where does the equalization money go? Manitoba received a 24% increase in equalization for 2024-25; now receiving $4.3B annually. It seems the funds are not being invested in infrastructure in MB for sure.

And since were are on a MB vs. NB comparison; how about a comparison of crime stats?

Last edited by Ozabald; Jul 18, 2024 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 3:34 PM

Here's a December 2023 animal crossing in Alberta for $17.5m. There were 6 bids. The $17m bid had problems. The highest bid was $23m. So a range of $17-23m. These animal crossings are 5 times wider than a 2-lane rural overpass like Carberry or Yellowhead (50m wide vs 8m wide). So yes, even with 1-mile of access roads, these rural 2-lane overpasses can be $15-25m, every day of the week, with competent management.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 4:17 PM

From the Carberry open house July 15. You have to stand in awe at the squandering. We need to clean house. On no planet does this cost $100m. These bean counters have lost their minds.

https://www.brandonsun.com/local/202...y-intersection

"The province has said that an interchange or overpass could also be built but that it’s seen as a long-term solution with a 20-year-plus timeline and a cost estimate of around $100 million."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 4:50 PM
There is always a way

What a breathtaking waste of 12 million dollars.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 9:10 PM

Can't track it down (also, too lazy at the end of the week!), but fairly certain that Biff had broken out the bridge costs for the St. Mary's project at ~$25 M so, if that's the case, where is the other $75 million going on the Carberry overpass?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 9:33 PM

Rebuilding the entire highway and buying the land to do so. Fees, contingency up the ying yang.

I don't get why tehy cant just add the bridge and ramps like the example that was posted here somewhere of the US project.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 9:35 PM

This one. And it's more elaborate than a simple diamond interchange that would go in at PTH 5. Just add the bridge and ramps, leave the rest alone. Adjust the access roads as required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is what they're doing for $27.5 million USD.

St. mary's includes large streches of highway reconstruction and side roads. That's why these projects cost so much.

I've been saying for years (decades?) that the province can just add the bridges and ramps and it would cost a lot less. but they do full highway reconstruction and grade widening too.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 12:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It’s funny that you mention U.S.-52 & I-90.
I feel that the flyover ramp is long overdue.
The tricky part is to look at the entire roadway network in that area as a whole, though.
Whenever I wonder why the movement from I-90 East to U.S.-52 North isn’t free flowing, I just remember that the I-90 & U.S.-63 junction to the west, if upgraded, will take care of that.

Anyway, I digress.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan