HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Nice! Safeway work has started so it'll get Occupancy before the rest of the site I'm assuming as it has an external entrance?
It seem like there are retail entrances along Cambie but I still think most of the mall will be complete and open at the same time.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:23 AM

Which entrances will the shopping mall use for customer parking and loading docks? Thanks.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weland View Post
Which entrances will the shopping mall use for customer parking and loading docks? Thanks.
This video is out of date because the phasing isn't happening this way but sort of gives a good idea of some of the parking/loading access points.

Video Link

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:32 PM

Oakridge visible from my rooftop in Olympic Village. Bloedel conservatory on the left too.

Photo mine.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
This video is out of date because the phasing isn't happening this way but sort of gives a good idea of some of the parking/loading access points.
Thanks for the video.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 7:18 PM

Shot of the prefabricated balconies.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7F1MgYR...Y4aTl5cmV6dmd0

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:27 AM

2024, June 5

Untitled by Lexus LX, on Flickr

That might be a curved glass on the bottom left, of the podium of 12th tower

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 1:21 AM

Most of the boulevard next to Oakridge along Cambie has been flattened. Anyone know the reason why?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Most of the boulevard next to Oakridge along Cambie has been flattened. Anyone know the reason why?
There's some concrete pour around that section of Cambie.

Jun 10, 12, 14, 2024
9:30AM - 3:00PM

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=233866504

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 10:48 PM

Over 90% of the new Oakridge Park shopping mall is now leased
Quote:
This is the third wave of retailer announcements this year to date, with the mall’s owner and developer today officially naming lululemon, Harry Rosen, Aritzia, Arc’teryx, Canada Goose, and GreenTee Golf Shop as the newest additions to the roster.

Some of these stores will be considerable in size for their respective brands and presence in Metro Vancouver.

At 6,000 sq ft, this will be a significantly sized lululemon, similar to the 6,900 sq ft recently expanded Robson Street store in downtown Vancouver. The Aritzia at 9,850 sq ft will also be far more than an outpost, comparable to the 13,000 sq ft Robson Street store and 10,000 sq ft Metropolis at Metrotown store.

Arc’teryx and Canada Goose at Oakridge Park will have nearly 4,450 sq ft and 4,200 sq ft of space, respectively, making these stores larger than their downtown Vancouver locations.

Other brands named in this week’s announcements include a 2,800 sq ft GreenTee Golf Shop and a 16,460 sq ft Harry Rosen, marking the luxury men’s clothing retailer’s grand return to the property. Additionally, Peninsula Seafood Chinese Restaurant will be making a comeback within a 9,800 sq ft space.

As well, the opening of the Time Out Market food hall, Signature BC Liquor Store, and the return of Safeway grocery store as an anchor tenant were reaffirmed. At 24,800 sq ft, Oakridge Park’s liquor store will be larger than the area’s existing Signature BC Liquor Store just north of the mall property. Both the liquor and grocery stores will be strategically located in the “neighbourhood convenience area” on the arrivals level, which doubles as an underground parking level for seamless liquor and grocery shopping.

Burns also shared that the underground retail-lined mall corridor reaching the underground ticketing concourse of Oakridge-41st Avenue Station, providing the transit hub with a secondary entrance, is expected to open on or near the mall’s opening day next spring.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/oakr...sing-vancouver

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Over 90% of the new Oakridge Park shopping mall is now leased

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/oakr...sing-vancouver
Good news! And they said malls are dead.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 3:29 AM

Chanel just submitted their building permit application

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=235341062

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Chanel just submitted their building permit application

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=235341062
The one to watch for is Hudson's Bay - will they or won't they?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The one to watch for is Hudson's Bay - will they or won't they?
The Bay building permit issued last year but the inspection report mentions the Safeway buildout so not sure if they accidentally misfiled some inspection reports. Some of the older permits mention it being ready last year for TI and nothing being done on it. Safeway has a new contractor so it seems like they are active on their unit.

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=189517201

This is supposedly the one for the Safeway

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=206847038

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 4:52 PM

At 140,000 sq. ft. the Hudson’s Bay space isn’t too large for a Simon’s were something to happen.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 4:21 AM

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 11:35 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
At 140,000 sq. ft. the Hudson’s Bay space isn’t too large for a Simon’s were something to happen.
Perhaps that's one of the reasons we've not seen any confirmation for Simons at Pacific Centre, they're waiting to see what Hudson's Bay does at Oakridge. Arguably, Oakridge could work far better for them than downtown, Simons has far more mall based locations than downtown ones.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 4:46 PM

Awesome to hear on the Chanel, I don't even remember seeing it on the multiple tenant announcements in the last few months. I am really shocked at the leasing numbers and tenant mix committed, for some reason I had a hard time picturing a huge amount of retail returning. Even though Oakridge has always been a money maker and popular historically, there was some reservation in my mind that the mall portion would regain it's former popularity, just considering the lengthy time it's been since the mall closed, and an assumption that it was going to be more like Brentwood with several prominent retailers, but nothing like a typical mall with zillions of stores. I obviously have never looked at Oakridge plans closely, as I thought they were gutting the mall, and just building towers with base retail instead. But these renderings show a full indoor traditional looking mall, similar to the old Oakridge in many ways actually. I really feel dumb for not realizing until now that there is such a significant traditional indoor mall component, I really thought it was all going to basically be like Brentwood or even The Village at Park Royal but more modern, but nothing like this.

Anyways, it's a nice surprise actually, and seeing the commitments from retailers, it is delivering on growing traditional retail against all odds. People in much of the US must read articles like this and wonder WTF how come they are managing and even nurturing bricks and mortar malls, while ours are shuttered entirely? Gahhh I can't wait to walk around Oakridge when it's done, it's so interesting. I obviously wouldn't be clothes shopping there lol (had to cut back on my Gucci sprees :p), but I just want to explore and wander, the site's so monstrous it would be a real adventure seeing it all for the first time. I really hope HBC opens a new store, it would be great to see a new, updated, more appropriate size space. The old department store footprints/layouts were so unappealing, and made it seem more cavernous. A smaller space, brand new, with a fresh clean look would be fantastic for them. The new Safeway should be great, their new openings (Davie St., Arbutus, Coquitlam, just to name a few) offer great options. And Oakridge is much more of a high end Safeway kind of place, Save On or any Loblaws banners would be out of place (maybe CityMarket would work, or Whole Foods, but I much prefer Safeway than those places). Safeway might not be the cheapest out there, but it is way better for most people than CityMarket, Whole Foods, Choices, etc. I am so glad the grocery is reopening as a Safeway, as it is much more inclusive and accessible than those other boujee places, but still good quality compared to some other banners.

Also, the Signature BC Liquor store is relocating from it's suburban-esque spot on Cambie and 39, just north from 41st. It is, I believe, the largest BC liquor store in the province? It is quite cavernous inside, and I'm sure has a better selection as well (I am basic, what I drink is available anywhere and is cheap lol, but this store is known to carry specialty items, offer way more variety, etc. I'll be curious to see what the new store is like, I can't see them cutting back on offerings or selection, especially now that it will be located right in a luxury mall lol, there will be more people stopping in for a bottle of wine or liquor to take home after they're done shopping. Very convenient to have it right there, most malls don't have them actually. Maybe a remnant of when malls abided by religious closing on Sundays too lol, who knows. There's obviously some malls that have them, but it's not as common as you'd think would make sense, there should be one in every mall really, based on product demand. The flip side of that is the old store was super easy for drivers, it had a giant surface lot, and always easy to access and park. Like I said, very suburban. But easy for drivers. I am assuming their new location in the new development will be far less 'sprawling suburban vibes' and more designed for a high end new shopping centre. Although there will be plenty of parking, there's just more "work" for a driver who used to just pull right into the current lot, no brainers. But parking at the new place will likely be more involved, and more of a chore than before. But hey, it's not a big deal overall, and helps a lot of non-drivers (not sure what % of patrons are drivers vs. non-car customers, would be an interesting stat). We all knew the old liquor store was on borrowed time, and would not be around much longer (the whole area is densifying/urbanizing, having such a huge land holding with easy demo in that location is a juicy prize, no way it could stay there for much longer. So the easy parking perk was never going to last anyways, so this move is a net positive I'd say.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Perhaps that's one of the reasons we've not seen any confirmation for Simons at Pacific Centre, they're waiting to see what Hudson's Bay does at Oakridge. Arguably, Oakridge could work far better for them than downtown, Simons has far more mall based locations than downtown ones.
But it sounds like they are actively negotiating for the Nordstroms space... And Hudsons Bay won't just give up their space and walk away so that might take ages to conclude.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 6:03 PM

Vancouver's former Nordstrom space could linger empty

This article makes feel very annoyed and frustrated for many reasons. I won't post the whole thing (I think I was warned by a mod to not post entire articles lol) but here's some gems:

Pension-fund-owned Cadillac Fairview has a track record of taking its time with projects.
The 230,000-square-foot prime retail location at CF Pacific Centre has sat empty since June 13, 2023.

Cadillac Fairview, the mall’s property manager and 50-per-cent owner, is in no hurry to redevelop or fill the space, its senior vice-president of retail Lillian Tummonds told BIV earlier this month. “Nothing is agreed to, like none of it,” Tummonds said. “It’s not like we’re even close to anything getting done.”

A similar project delay is happening at the former site of the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver.

Friction between Cadillac Fairview and the Four Seasons prompted lawsuits and the hotel chain’s 2020 departure from a 30-storey, Cadillac-Fairview-managed tower on Howe Street above CF Pacific Centre. The property had been a Four Seasons hotel for more than 40 years.

Inside reconstruction took place during the pandemic and is ongoing, but no new hotel brand has been announced.

Tummonds told BIV that her company’s stance is the same as it was in December 2023.

That was when now-retired Cadillac Fairview senior vice-president of retail Tom Knoepfel told BIV: “We haven’t finalized our plans for the building. There may be a residential component to it. I don’t know. We haven’t determined the final use for the building. I would expect that, ultimately, at least a portion of the building will be a hotel.”

I will acknowledge that waiting and being careful is usually a good thing, and I am by no means suggesting a reckless, hasty poor decision for the space. But they are being overly blasé and have no urgency to fill these high profile spaces. I hate to play the western alienation card here lol, but they seemed to have their planning started on Eaton Centre awfully quick. So much for careful and taking time, I guess that only applies to some places lol...It just sounds like an excuse for lack of interest or priority, it's pretty clear this is just them. Correct me if Im crazy, but doesn't this line especially sound overly aggressive and shutting everything down:

Cadillac Fairview, the mall’s property manager and 50-per-cent owner, is in no hurry to redevelop or fill the space, its senior vice-president of retail Lillian Tummonds told BIV earlier this month. “Nothing is agreed to, like none of it,” Tummonds said. “It’s not like we’re even close to anything getting done.”

To have such a high executive in the retail division be so dismissive of this massive crater of empty space from Nordstrom, comes off badly. Their job is to find tenants and fill space, deleting vacant space by filling it with new tenants as soon as possible is what you do. The store has been closed for some time now. I'm not saying it should already be under construction or anything yet, there are lots of logistically steps before Renos start. They could have said "we have a huge amount of interest and are close to confirming potential tenants, but it will take time". At least that gives even a facade of trying...

And then there's the hotel fiasco, omg, it makes the Nordstrom laziness seem like a champion lol...

A similar project delay is happening at the former site of the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver.

Friction between Cadillac Fairview and the Four Seasons prompted lawsuits and the hotel chain’s 2020 departure from a 30-storey, Cadillac-Fairview-managed tower on Howe Street above CF Pacific Centre. The property had been a Four Seasons hotel for more than 40 years.

Inside reconstruction took place during the pandemic and is ongoing, but no new hotel brand has been announced.

Tummonds told BIV that her company’s stance is the same as it was in December 2023.

That was when now-retired Cadillac Fairview senior vice-president of retail Tom Knoepfel told BIV: “We haven’t finalized our plans for the building. There may be a residential component to it. I don’t know. We haven’t determined the final use for the building. I would expect that, ultimately, at least a portion of the building will be a hotel.”

The transpirings with the hotel have always been baffling and suspicious. They kick out a 40-year tenant, a globally renowned hotel name, who has won the top of the top in hotel and travel accolades? That's absolutely not something you would do if you were behaving normally, and didn't have ulterior motives. And then claim it was the hotel in the wrong?! We're talking a highly ranked property, even if they started going downhill or weren't keeping up as much as they should, they would have to really put effort into trashing the property intentionally to bring it down that much. Look at this:

The Four Seasons was one of only two Vancouver hotels and one of six in Canada to earn a five-star rating in the Forbes Travel Guide. The Rosewood Hotel Georgia — just across the street — was the other Vancouver hotel to get a nod.

That's such an elite class, even if they ignored maintenance and care, that would be basically bring them to the level of most other upscale hotels in the country lol, there's no way they turned into crap that fast. CF definitely lied about the reasoning, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with this "The landlords sued in hopes that a judge would rule that the hotel violated its lease terms. If that happened, Cadillac Fairview would be free to bring a new hotel to the site.". That's the only reason they concocted that story, it's pretty slimy if you ask me. Four Seasons is one of the top brands in the world, highly coveted. They wouldn't ever go down to the levels CF is suggesting. How embarrassing for our city, this major chain that is a sign of prestige all over the world, now has to deal with a lying landlord accusing them of being so neglectful of the hotel that it can qualify for eviction. To degrade so bad that it can't even be open?! Four Seasons was probably laughing and screaming at the same time, it's so ludicrous that a freakin pension fund (CF) was basically judging a luxury hotel operators standards? They must've thought the landlord was a troll or utterly incompetent. And that basically sounds like the case... 4 years in, basically no progress on whatever it is they are even doing with that building, it's doing something at a snail's pace, but we barely know what (yes there was a DP but the final product can come out different, and they seem to be stalling or something. How does it make sense to boot out a paying tenant, just to have the space sit empty? And just like with the Nordstrom comments, this is their response "“We haven’t finalized our plans for the building. There may be a residential component to it. I don’t know. We haven’t determined the final use for the building. I would expect that, ultimately, at least a portion of the building will be a hotel.” So basically it could be anything and everything, maybe they will do a coin toss to decide lol. They are just working slowly away at a building that was still functional and operational and gave us a 5y+ window replacement project that looks derelict. Think I'm being too harsh on CF, or reading it wrong? Then how do you explain this part of the article?

Other Cadillac Fairview projects have sat idle in Vancouver.

Cadillac Fairview in 2000 bought valuable Vancouver real estate at 1133 West Georgia Street and left it untouched for years. The site at the time housed a concrete shell of a building, which had been left derelict since the 1990s.

The company eventually sold the property to Holborn, which developed it following a failed attempt to build a Ritz-Carlton hotel. The site now houses an Arthur-Erickson-designed structure that has condominiums above what was a Trump hotel and is now the Paradox Hotel Vancouver.

I had no idea CF was behind the infamous shell at 1133 W. Georgia. So they bought it and left it completely derelict for years, no use whatsoever?! That's really beneficial for the city eh?! So they did it with 1133, they're doing it with Nordstrom, and with the hotel. And then quoting in public saying they have no urgency, nothing in the works, and a completely aimless trajectory for their properties?! They aren't even giving it a glitzy PR treatment to make themselves sound good while not committing to anything. They don't even care that they are outwardly uninterested in putting the work into their properties,

I know something will happen and this isn't some doomsday prediction, the spaces are always going to have demand and are coveted. So I am not worried about lack of interest from buyers/tenants. I am worried about the lack of initiative from the owners to get things in motion. How dare you be so blasé about not caring to fill prime space, this is a city that people live and exist in, the City should be able to do something to slap them in the face. Get off your ass and make it a priority to not leave empty shells all over the city and then just brag about your lack of progress? #boycootCF lol

Sorry I got worked up and went on and on. I have my experience in urban land development, and have worked for 16+ years as a PM with clients such as CF. But it was difficult enough to lose Nordstrom because the chain was doing poorly in most of the rest of Canada, yet Vancouver was one of their best stores overall, including US stores. So an enormously successful store closes because it can't operate as a one-off, either they close all stores in Canada or nothing, there's no singling one out. But it was so frustrating to see it close when it was just pulled down by weaker places in other parts of the country. Then to lose that high performing store, and just leave it empty without urgency, it's like salt right in the wound....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver