HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 3:43 PM

Everest Peaks [1740-1760 St Laurent Blvd] | up to 48m | 2 x 12f, 2 x 15f | Proposed

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Other than saving the St. Hubert, which is awesome, that proposal is suburban garbage.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Other than saving the St. Hubert, which is awesome, that proposal is suburban garbage.
It'll fit right in with Trainyards, then.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:54 PM

I don't love it but its much better than the "towers in a park(ing lot)" developments that plague other parts of St Laurent. Theres surface parking yes, but at least its limited and tucked behind the buildings. And walk up commercial space on almost the entire St Laurent facing first floor is very nice. The green space right beside the parking lot and balconies staring at your neighbor's balcony leaves something to be desired but overall I think a development like this will be good for the area.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
I don't love it but its much better than the "towers in a park(ing lot)" developments that plague other parts of St Laurent. Theres surface parking yes, but at least its limited and tucked behind the buildings. And walk up commercial space on almost the entire St Laurent facing first floor is very nice. The green space right beside the parking lot and balconies staring at your neighbor's balcony leaves something to be desired but overall I think a development like this will be good for the area.
It is pushed up to the street, which is okay, but the whole thing looks like it was designed to facilitate car access to all of the buildings. There is not one area in the complex that looks like it would be remotely pleasant for pedestrians. If you told me that this was actually designed in 1968, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It is pushed up to the street, which is okay, but the whole thing looks like it was designed to facilitate car access to all of the buildings. There is not one area in the complex that looks like it would be remotely pleasant for pedestrians. If you told me that this was actually designed in 1968, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
IN the complex I totally agree but I think the retail frontage improves the pedestrian experience of St Laurent overall. Its a drop in the bucket improvement and I still have 0 hope for St Laurent to ever be a place I would want to walk around but I think this is an improvement nonetheless.

For a 6 lane stroad surrounded by strip mall parking lots I think this type of development is the best we can hope for.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
IN the complex I totally agree but I think the retail frontage improves the pedestrian experience of St Laurent overall. Its a drop in the bucket improvement and I still have 0 hope for St Laurent to ever be a place I would want to walk around but I think this is an improvement nonetheless.

For a 6 lane stroad surrounded by strip mall parking lots I think this type of development is the best we can hope for.
No doubt that the retail frontage is an improvement (although the current St. Hubert is essentially right on the street). I just think that with a development this big, it can have its own pedestrian environment. Sure people will use cars there for the foreseeable future, but why not have a single car entrance to underground parking which accesses all of the buildings? The whole ground level could be people-friendly inside the complex, and connect to the residential behind.

I think that we have to demand better, unless we want another 50 years of status quo on St. Laurent.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:13 PM

But, but, but... what will happen to 168 Sushi?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
But, but, but... what will happen to 168 Sushi?
If I'm understanding the plan correctly, it is unaffected.

It looks like the St Hubert will move to a new tower where the Petro-Canada is currently, and there will be another tower built where St Hubert is currently.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post
It looks like the St Hubert will move to a new tower where the Petro-Canada is currently, and there will be another tower built where St Hubert is currently.
Source? I would really hate to lose that St Hubert.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Source? I would really hate to lose that St Hubert.
The rendering on page 8 of the PDF linked above? (http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-21-0177.PDF)

Actually- I realized I was wrong about the 168 Sushi; this property extends to that site as well, so those buildings will also be demolished for the same tower that will replace the existing St-Hubert. It has ground floor commercial, so something may come back eventually...

Here is the thread for the previously approved phase to the west: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=240653 ("Everest Heights" as mentioned above).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:00 PM

Waaait a minute lol, what's wrong with this project??? Seriously looks good, good size, good location

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Some parts of it look suburban, but other parts look urban. It has more of a town center look and feel than anything in Kanata or Orleans.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:33 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
This is part of the Everest Heights project. First two smaller towers located right behind these are scheduled to start late 2021/early 2022.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:53 PM

I love this proposal. Buildings look great hope it turns out like this.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:32 PM

Is this currently under construction? I drove on St Laurent a couple of weeks ago and saw a building of several stories under construction around here in the back.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 7:55 PM

Looks like this project is by Groupe Heafey (same group that did VIU and WE in Gatineau) and they're calling it Everest Peaks
https://groupeheafey.com/en/portfolio/everest-peaks/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 12:35 PM

The tanks are being dug out of the old Petro Can this morning, and there are contractors walking on the roof of the St. Hubert.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 2:39 PM
Busy Beaver

With a name like Everest Peaks, I was expecting the tallest buildings in the city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa