HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 7:26 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas, Earth

Ah, cruising... That endeavor in which large Americans and Canadians (along with a sprinkling of Europeans) board what amounts to a floating twenty-story building to eat cafeteria food and have their every need catered to by denizens of various poverty-stricken Asian nations, plus the odd failed former Soviet republic. Cruising makes me feel decadent, which is not a feeling I enjoy. I found myself often battling the urge to snatch the vacuum from the hands of some tiny Filipina so she could go glug alcohol by the pool while I finished up in the hallway. I've cruised out of Charleston and Tampa, but this was my first time out of Miami, and we visited Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk, then finished up with a couple of nights in Miami Beach.

Many pictures were taken. Shall we begin?

Video Link

The Flagler Monument. I had no idea this thing existed until CSI: Miami did a flyover of it.

...And a better view of the monument once we'd sailed a little closer. It's my understanding that due to its inaccessibility, it's rather hard to maintain and is therefore in pretty bad shape. Looks nice from afar though.

I have to say it's an odd feeling to go serenely sailing past the cityscape in what amounts to one of those buildings laid on its side.

Bye, Miami!

We arrived in Nassau the next morning, a Sunday.

A Christmas tree, Bahamas style.

There's an allegory in this somewhere. I just know it.

Just kidding. This is a Christmas tree, Bahamas style. It really just didn't compute to be walking around underneath swaying palms, wearing shorts, while stores were blasting songs about snow and snowmen and sleigh rides, and all that other Christmas crap.

Note the cat. Note also that this will be far from the last example of such to be found. The Caribbean seems to be infested with the little buggers, in fact.

I think American gun fetishists are going about it all wrong, what with all these demands to be allowed to openly carry tactical nuclear weapons into Chipotle. I think they'd get a lot farther by demanding the right to place stylish cannons, such as these, outside their front doors.

The governor's residence. The governor, by the way, drives a Kia.

Cannon swag.

This hotel is part of the apparatus -- the evil apparatus -- that funnels money to a certain horse-faced heiress. I am employed by this apparatus, and many are the time in which the whip is cracked and the command bellowed: "WORK HARDER, WORK FASTER!! PARIS NEEDS ANOTHER NOSE JOB!!

The National Art Gallery of The Bahamas. Last time we were here it was closed for renovation. This time it wasn't, and so we entered and looked around, and found it more than worth the price of admission.

Meanwhile, at the national gallery...

Later, Bahamas! It's been real...

Stay tuned for Part 2!
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:26 PM

Great pictures! Nassau is on my short list of places I have to go on this planet.

Your pictures seem to indicate that Nassau (and the Bahamas?) are more American than I originally thought. I don't see many elements of Britain at all: squiggly lines on the road in one or two pictures (can someone explain what that means?), that mailbox, and maybe that's it. The only indications of it being the Bahamas are the Bahamian flags, and national governmental or cultural buildings. Otherwise, most things look American: American cars or vehicle preferences, American stop signs, bars covering the windows, and building styles not too exotic. You could've said that these were taken in St. Augustine, or some in some poor Deep South towns, or some maybe in New Orleans, and people would believe you.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:41 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Nice pics! Did you get to to see the Junkanoo parade?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 5:52 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Your pictures seem to indicate that Nassau (and the Bahamas?) are more American than I originally thought. I don't see many elements of Britain at all: squiggly lines on the road in one or two pictures (can someone explain what that means?), that mailbox, and maybe that's it.
Try driving on the American side of the street though, and you'll get flattened.

Fun fact: Winn-Dixie, a grocery store chain infamous even when I was a child for being nasty (the only place grosser was Community Cash) but nevertheless quintessentially Southern, had a presence in Nassau until 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Nice pics! Did you get to to see the Junkanoo parade?
No, all we got to see was a very quiet Sunday morning with a lot of tourists riding around in horsedrawn carriages, and well-dressed Bahamians going to church.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:32 AM
Babylon falling

I loved the cruise commentary at the beginning I feel the same way about that. Poor Filipinas worked to death, maybe the hot ones will find a sugardaddy while working on board. Anyhow great tour of Nassau, not one native in your pics? I wanted to see the Sunday best style. So jealous of Miami's highrises on the beach, can San Diego just get three of those please... It makes coastal Southern California look so sleepy and backwards by comparison. Except for our hills of course.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:50 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I loved the cruise commentary at the beginning I feel the same way about that. Poor Filipinas worked to death, maybe the hot ones will find a sugardaddy while working on board.
The vast majority of the workers on a cruise ship are men, but very, very pretty men. What do you want to bet more than a few of them get offers from sugar daddies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Nice pictures! I stayed at the Cove Atlantis back in October and had a great time. I wanted to take a day trip to the Exumas but didn't have time.
I'm not sure actually staying there would afford me enough to do. San Juan, though? Definitely.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:34 PM

Nice pictures! I stayed at the Cove Atlantis back in October and had a great time. I wanted to take a day trip to the Exumas but didn't have time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos