HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:28 PM

KYOTO 京都: The Ancient Capital

Following on from Tokyo (1) and (2), and Osaka

Kyoto is the old capital of Japan before it was moved to Edo (Tokyo). It is the cultural heart of the nation, offering a traditional antithesis to the neon drenched modernity of Tokyo. This was my 4th time in Kyoto, and being autumn, completes my experiencing the city in all 4 seasons. I do really love the city, though I wouldn’t want to live there.

I have heard quite a few people dislike Kyoto due to being disappointed by the fact the majority of buildings are actually the same generic modern concrete blocks that you see in every other Japanese city. I think a lot of people go expecting a Japanese version of a European old town (a Venice, Florence or Prague for example), ie an intact ancient city, which Kyoto is not. However I think this misses the point somewhat. The atmosphere in Kyoto is noticeably different from elsewhere. The grid system of streets, with wide pavemented boulevards is unique to Japan, and the feel of the place, despite the modern buildings, still feels special, you really can imagine it as it was centuries ago. I love the fact that there are incredible temples surrounded by modernity, and you have to follow your nose and seek out the treasures.

A walk round the Gion district, a stroll along the riverside or though the incredible lantern lit Pontocho Doori are truly mindblowing experiences. You can see geisha in their natural habitat, in a non-clichéd way. Splurging a bit on a meal is one of the greatest food experiences you can have, sampling the traditional Kaiseki ryori of Kyoto in a tatami room in one of the above mentioned areas is one of my personal favourite Japan experiences.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/56142126@N03/14501269257/]

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:54 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for these awesome pictures or Kyoto, Xander!

I´ve liked what you´ve shown about the ancient capital of Japan. I see it´s a different Japanese city. I love the colours of the maples and the views of the city in general.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
I have heard quite a few people dislike Kyoto due to being disappointed by the fact the majority of buildings are actually the same generic modern concrete blocks that you see in every other Japanese city. I think a lot of people go expecting a Japanese version of a European old town (a Venice, Florence or Prague for example), ie an intact ancient city, which Kyoto is not.
Well, it isn't exactly Tokyo or Osaka, but yeah, it does seem that Kyoto doesn't look as ancient as it actually is. There seems to be a lot of densely packed buildings that adhere to some traditional designs, such as in the roofs, and of course there are tons of old shrines and temples.

But why isn't Kyoto more well-preserved? Is it the same story as in other Japanese cities, earthquakes and bombings?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
But why isn't Kyoto more well-preserved? Is it the same story as in other Japanese cities, earthquakes and bombings?
The former, not the latter. Kyoto was explicitly left unbombed by the US government, to preserve its historical value. Plus it had no real manufacturing to speak of or any other tactical targets worth bombing.

Japanese housing is traditionally wood and paper. Earthquakes trigger fires easily, and traditional Japanese houses go up like, well, paper on fire. Other than the castles, there were basically no stone or brick historical structures in the country to begin with. This is unfortunate, as people have pointed out: a city with almost 2,000 years of rich history looks a lot less historic than European cities of the same age, or even mainland Chinese cities with less seismic activity.

Fantastic pics, BTW. Kyoto is my favorite city in Japan - the ladies dress so smartly down there. Much more my style preference than the garish stuff women in Tokyo like.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 11:04 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I love Kyoto.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:43 PM
Community Guy

Nice tour of a very interesting city, I enjoyed my time there other than a hotel issue.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:41 PM
Editor

Great photo thread!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I want to go to Japan so badly. Such a cool country.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:32 PM

Delightful - some wonderful portraits there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:43 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:35 PM

Now here's a cultural gap. While the Japanese are famously fond of it, I must confess I'm unable to have fish like this.

Surely healthier than anything, but downright uncooked! You know, I'm more used to the Norman-fashioned fish, that's drowned in nasty fat crème fraîche and white wine! That is rather unhealthy, however. Not to be done every day.

Otherwise, your Japan threads always look yummy.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:17 AM

Awesome!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:00 PM
Registirred User

わ~!京都の写真はいいね!

行きたいよ

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos