HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:02 PM
Editor

Calgary Food Trucks: One year anniversary..thoughts?

It's been a year since the food trucks hit the pavement, and now with 32 food trucks cruising around the city it's a good time to catch up on the action. Which ones are bringing it? Which ones suck?

Article from Herald where you can vote on your favorite truck.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:11 PM

In true Calgary tradition, everything is too expensive for food coming out of a freaking truck, so I haven't even bothered to try one yet.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I've spent most of the spring/summer on the road, so I haven't had a chance to sample much at all.

However - one of my biggest gripes when I travelled was how awesome everyone else has it, with food trucks and carts and the like. And how much I wish Calgary had that sort of scene. Well, this year I can say that Calgary is kicking the pants out of a lot of cities. There is a new truck by my office seemingly every day. I've seen them around Stampede, at the LRT station, in malls - damn near everywhere. I absolutely love it. The variety and constant change is impressive.

Now if only I could actually enjoy it for a season...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:43 PM
Here and There

Bringing it:

Red Wagon..............smoked meat hash!
Mighty Skillet........... omelette french toast sandwich with maple syrup dip
Get Happy...............Typical Vietamese but awesome sides
ALLEY BURGER!!!!......Wow. Just wow.

Not bringing it:

Braizen...........tiny serving....big cost
Noodle Bus......small servings and same price as thai thai (which is big)
Some greek place, forget the name....The pork was hard and full of gristle, and expensive.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
in true calgary tradition, everything is too expensive for food coming out of a freaking truck, so i haven't even bothered to try one yet.
+1...the cost has deterred me from even considering it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The only truck I've tried so far that I wasn't impressed with was the noodle bus, it was half the size of where I usually go, not as good, and only $2 cheaper (I had the 'bun'). Everything else, although potentially too pricey for a daily lunch (aka likely overpriced) was at least delicious to me. I usually hit a food truck once a week lately, usually on the weekend.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 1:06 AM

Sadly, I have yet to try a single food truck in Calgary.... a combination of working from home, and just never being in the right place at the right time I guess.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Sadly, I have yet to try a single food truck in Calgary.... a combination of working from home, and just never being in the right place at the right time I guess.
Being located on the other side of the continent also makes for a long lunch run.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Being located on the other side of the continent also makes for a long lunch run.
I actually live right off of 17th Ave these days....so no excuses.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 1:54 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Small sizes at Noodle Bus??? I've only gotten the pho there twice, but they may as well have served it in a mixing bowl! It was huge. It was also half the price of most other trucks I've been to.

I think Red Wagon was the one I hit up most. I really liked everything I tried from them, and the guys are super-cool (offered for me to sit inside with them while I waited in the rain (no other people around)).

I don't mind Perogy Boyz, but it's a little pricey for what you get, and they're not great.

Alley Burger: Only been once, got the beef burger (before realizing that the pork was their thing) and a small poutine. Should not have cost $20!! Burger was alright, but 3/4 lettuce; I thought Five Guys was better. Best poutine I can remember having though.

Cheezy Bizness (or however it's spelled) was good hangover food, but I'd have to try it again before really coming to a conclusion. They often come out to the Millarville Market now too.

Oh yeah, I guess I had Fries and Dolls at Lilac Fest. It was pretty good from what I remember, but I never saw them downtown at lunch when I was working, so I haven't gone there since.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:01 AM

Perogy Boyz, my fav so far.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:06 AM

I love the SteakOut Truck!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I just wish they wouldn't stake out the same spot every day. MEC was two or three blocks outside of what I felt was my lunchtime walking radius.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:09 AM
Round Head

It has been fun being a part of getting the food truck progam going. I wrote the guidelines for the trucks, and our office has been working with City staff as it's grown. You can expect about 45 to be fully licenced by the end of this year.

I've tried several trucks. I quite like Cheezy Bizness. Their Aloha Sandwich is great (pulled pork, pinneaple, cheese).

Alley Burger is also great.

I've heard nothing but great things regarding Red Wagon.

I think part of the cost thing is the cost of getting the truck going. A lot of people think that, oh you just buy a truck for a few thousand bucks and start rolling. In fact, these are full service kitchens, they just happen to be on wheels - the start up cost per trucks is at least $100,000. I wouldn't say the food is super "cheap" but I don't think it's unreasonable at most trucks.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:36 AM

I've tried many of them, and most are fantastic. I particularly like the Happy Truck (delicious spicy Indonesian), and of course Alley Burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
It has been fun being a part of getting the food truck progam going. I wrote the guidelines for the trucks, and our office has been working with City staff as it's grown. You can expect about 45 to be fully licenced by the end of this year.
Great work on this initiative Wooster (and everyone in the Mayor's office of course), it's a good step towards increased vibrancy and street life in the inner city. The one thing that concerns me is that I heard on the radio last week that there is a moratorium on new trucks. Why not allow as many trucks as the market will support?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:51 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I've tried many of them, and most are fantastic. I particularly like the Happy Truck (delicious spicy Indonesian), and of course Alley Burger.

Great work on this initiative Wooster (and everyone in the Mayor's office of course), it's a good step towards increased vibrancy and street life in the inner city. The one thing that concerns me is that I heard on the radio last week that there is a moratorium on new trucks. Why not allow as many trucks as the market will support?
We put a cap on the pilot (not permanent) until things can be sorted out internally to handle the enormous workload for City staff that have been working on the pilot on top of all their other duties they had before (not to mention the huge amount of work it's taken within the Mayor's Office). It's been a bit overwhelming. It just buys time until we can figure out how to properly resource managing the program/permits and how to pay for it. Thus far the cost of permits for the trucks hasn't been anywhere close to cost recovery.

Certainly not permanent. The market will ultimately determine the number as it moves from pilot to a regular permitting system.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
We put a cap on the pilot (not permanent) until things can be sorted out internally to handle the enormous workload for City staff that have been working on the pilot on top of all their other duties they had before (not to mention the huge amount of work it's taken within the Mayor's Office). It's been a bit overwhelming. It just buys time until we can figure out how to properly resource managing the program/permits and how to pay for it. Thus far the cost of permits for the trucks hasn't been anywhere close to cost recovery.

Certainly not permanent. The market will ultimately determine the number as it moves from pilot to a regular permitting system.
Oh okay, good to hear. The radio report I heard misrepresented things. I was worried that we would end up with something like the taxicab situation, with a few greedy vendors hoarding the licenses and driving the value up.

I think that street food it a easy way to bring vibrancy to our streets. I spent some time in Bangkok recently, and that city undoubtedly has the best street food scene of anywhere I've ever been. It's truly unbelievable how much variety they have. Every major street is packed with vendors that change throughout the day - noodles for breakfast and lunch, more substantial rice dishes for dinner, and delicious snacks throughout the day. Often these stalls are timed to open once the adjacent business is closed in the evening, to avoid any conflict.

I realize that things here will never be anything like BKK, due to our cultural differences and climate, but there are a few innovative ideas that we should adopt.

1) Street Food Zones: I'm not sure how these are organized or if they regulated at all, but every night around 10pm certain sections of sidewalk will transform into vibrant outdoor restaurants. What was a bland, dead stretch of sidewalk mere hours earlier becomes filled with locals devouring treats from many different vendors. There are tables and chairs set up, and it becomes a pleasant experience where you can enjoy a huge variety of food at cheap prices.

Link

2) Pop-up Pubs: After the food stalls have packed up for the night, pop-up bars take over the street. Most of these are in the form of old VW microbuses that have been retrofitted with a bar in the back, and they set up bar stools and a few tables in the adjacent parking spaces. There are also smaller ones that are just stands on the sidewalk. It adds something to the nightlife of the area, and provides a cheaper place to relax with a drink and watch the bustle of the streets. I realize that something like this would likely never fly here in puritan Canada, but I thought it was an innovative way to make use of unoccupied parking spaces in the CBD after hours. Imagine a few of these along Stephen Ave or 11th Avenue on thurs/fri/sat nights in the summer:

Link

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
I think part of the cost thing is the cost of getting the truck going. A lot of people think that, oh you just buy a truck for a few thousand bucks and start rolling. In fact, these are full service kitchens, they just happen to be on wheels - the start up cost per trucks is at least $100,000. I wouldn't say the food is super "cheap" but I don't think it's unreasonable at most trucks.
Alberta Venture had a good article about what it actually costs to get a food truck up and running: http://albertaventure.com/2012/07/wh...le-restaurant/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepockets View Post
Alberta Venture had a good article about what it actually costs to get a food truck up and running: http://albertaventure.com/2012/07/wh...le-restaurant/
That is ridiculously cheap compared to the start up costs of a proper restaraunt.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:53 AM
Editor

I've only eaten at Perogy Boyz and Blamwich. The Mexican Perogies were good, the Carrot Cake ones were so-so. Kinda pricey. Blamwich was good, but also kind of pricey....i expected the food trucks to be a bit cheaper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation