HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Would you like Manitoba to get a new flag.
Yes 27 65.85%
No 13 31.71%
No opinion 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 10:08 PM

Manitoba flag outdated, says NDP

Anyways, heard about this on the radio in the morning, so I found a article from Globe & Mail related to this.

Quote:
WINNIPEG — Manitoba should adopt a new flag, because the current one - as well as that of Ontario - is an archaic symbol of British rule, say some grassroots members of Manitoba's governing New Democrats.

Manitoba's flag "is outdated and a relic from the days of our former British colonial heritage," reads a resolution by the NDP's Riel constituency association in south Winnipeg. The resolution is on the agenda of the provincial party's annual convention next month.

"Manitoba's flag is often confused with Ontario's flag, with the only difference being a bison ... instead of three maple leaves."

Both provinces' flags are similar to the Red Ensign that Canada used as a national flag prior to adopting the maple leaf design in 1965. There is a red background, a Union Jack in the upper left corner, and a provincial symbol toward the bottom right corner.

In 2001, a U.S.-based volunteer group of flag enthusiasts called the North American Vexillological Association ranked the flags of 72 states, provinces, territories and districts. Ontario and Manitoba placed 43rd and 44th respectively.

The group criticized flags that were not distinctive, and praised those with simple, bold designs such as Quebec's fleur-de-lis, which ranked third behind Texas and New Mexico.

The Riel constituency association is proposing the government hold a provincewide public contest to develop a new flag. But any change is likely to be an uphill battle.

Manitoba's opposition Progressive Conservatives say the current flag is an important symbol of the province's roots.

"Certainly many of our traditions came here as a result of the British democratic parliamentary system," Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen said.

Premier Gary Doer did not comment. A spokesman for the Premier's office said Mr. Doer attends conventions to listen to debates and "not prejudge what [the] convention may or may not pass."

I myself would like to see a new flag (even if it means agreeing with the NDP).

What about your thoughts.

Last edited by Brokenhead; Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Yes! Let's get something original, and a little more in-tune with our local history. Turf the Union Jack.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 7:47 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes! Let's get something original, and a little more in-tune with our local history. Turf the Union Jack.
agreed - and something that reflects the ethnic diversity rather than an anglocentric past

and louis riel was a terrorist

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:59 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
agreed - and something that reflects the ethnic diversity rather than an anglocentric past
Typical Irishman

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 9:44 PM
Density and complexity

Other than fusing elements of every other country's flags into one, I really don't think there is anything that reflects cosmopolitanism better than a Union Jack. (Besides the U.S. flag, but that's obviously not very relevant to Manitoba.)

Our parents, grand-parents, or great-grandparents came to Manitoba for no other reason but to enjoy the opportunity to participate in a fair, free, and prosperous society that traditional British law and the Protestant work ethic created here. (I'm starting to sound like Andy6...)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Armchair urbanist

Another thought is why should a new flag not incorporate the Union Jack or Buffalo crest/shield? Look at Alberta and NWT, even BC.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 10:31 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Out with the old, and in with the new!

Seriously, we need a new flag! Our flag is so boring compared to New Brunswick's or BC's.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 10:57 PM
Creative Accountant

I am glad our politians are spending their time on important things like our flag not trivial issues like poverty or crime. Kudos to the NDP Party.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:00 PM
Density and complexity

We should get a flag with everything on it but the Union Jack and St. George's Cross. (I'm thinking Louis Riel emerging from a tee-pee eating a perogy.) After all, what did Britain ever do for Manitoba?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 4:46 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
We should get a flag with everything on it but the Union Jack and St. George's Cross. (I'm thinking Louis Riel emerging from a tee-pee eating a perogy.) After all, what did Britain ever do for Manitoba?
i am a traditionalist, but i dont love our flag...mainly because it looks so much like ontario...

my fear is that it will indeed have some reference to louis riel...the most over rated historical figure of all time. ( i go to work on louis riel day and i walk on the north side of the provencher bridge, to avoid the promenade riel)

i still cant believe that we have a holiday celebrating louis riel of all people....it started as just a name for the holiday, but has turned into a memorial for him...seriously is there no humanitarian we could honour instead?...but that is another discussion....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:06 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i am a traditionalist, but i dont love our flag...mainly because it looks so much like ontario...

my fear is that it will indeed have some reference to louis riel...the most over rated historical figure of all time. ( i go to work on louis riel day and i walk on the north side of the provencher bridge, to avoid the promenade riel)

i still cant believe that we have a holiday celebrating louis riel of all people....it started as just a name for the holiday, but has turned into a memorial for him...seriously is there no humanitarian we could honour instead?...but that is another discussion....
They should rename it to Winnipeg Jets day

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:22 AM
working stiff

Yeah, Manitoba's Flag: Union Jacked Edition, just doesn't cut it anymore.

Anxious to see submissions.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
I'm thinking Louis Riel emerging from a tee-pee eating a perogy

now that is funny!

As long as there is a JET on it (i don't mean Selanne, Hawerchuck or Hull, I mean a plane), to represent our Aerospace industry and to honour the Wpg JETS!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 3:35 PM

Sure, we'll end up with a Spirited Energy Flag, costing 3 million dollars to develop, and then a new bureaucracy to roll it out, and they'll need a new office building....or maybe we'll be lucky and end up with a design like Winnipeg's tit?

I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I like the old Red Ensign. Even have Canada's old Red Ensign flag down in the basement waiting for a flagpole.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 6:54 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
I am glad our politians are spending their time on important things like our flag not trivial issues like poverty or crime. Kudos to the NDP Party.
It's not the provincial NDP politicians bringing forward this motion to their convention next month, this came about by general members within one constituency association. This motion may not even see the light of day at the convention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Free Press
The proposal to change the flag will have to battle for time and attention at the NDP convention.

With limited time set aside each year to debate some 200 or more resolutions, most issues never come to a vote. A similar flag proposal withered away on the convention agenda last year, as party members prioritized economic, social and labour issues.

And even if the party approves a call for a new flag, the demand is not binding on the government. Doer has rejected convention decisions in the past, including a call for the province to ban companies from hiring replacement workers during strikes.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can.../40314762.html
If we do have a new flag, I hope it reflects Manitoba's character... perhaps a Salsbury House logo, knife dripping blood, suburbanite bitching about potholes or the timeliness of garbage collection, the Remand Centre about to burst, or a map illustrating the route to take to abandon Manitoba for Alberta when overcome with dreams of dollar signs.

Though, these images on a flag probably wouldn't rank high with vexillologists (nor with you guys).

While I'm joking around, this stuff would never make it onto a flag; this all does reflect our realities, our poverty and the desperation in Manitoba.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Feb 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
^oh christ! Sometimes it's good to get the public involved on trivial feel good issues. Especially when a lot of people are are feeling down and out about the economy. It's not like a new flag design is going to break the bank.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Armchair urbanist

Yay! Let's make something as trivial as a new flag a political issue!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 3:18 AM
BANNED

hmmm let's see. first the NDP chose 'spirited energy' as the new slogan for the province which sucks ...then they name the new provincial holiday after a traitor ...oh for sure let's have them choose the new flag. I can just imagine how lame and 'politically correct' it will be...so long as it's anti white that is.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
hmmm let's see. first the NDP chose 'spirited energy' as the new slogan for the province which sucks ...then they name the new provincial holiday after a traitor ...oh for sure let's have them choose the new flag. I can just imagine how lame and 'politically correct' it will be...so long as it's anti white that is.
You have a serious chip on your shoulder.

In any case, I support the flag initiative fully. Maybe one day we'll change our boring old Ontario flag too.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why do we need a new flag?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan