HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
Movin' on up

Winnipeg gets new slogan

Heart of the Continent

Winnipeg get new welcome slogan

Fri, September 5, 2008
Heart of the Continent

Welcome to the Heart of North America.

That's the message Winnipeg City Council wants to send to travellers as they enter the City of Winnipeg.

The new slogan "Welcome to Winnipeg: Heart of the Continent" has been unveiled on a sign at the city's Highway 1 West entrance at Headingley.

The phrase will also also adorn nine other signs posted at city entrances, to be installed early next week.

The slogan replaces the previous slogan, "One Great City.”

Source: http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winn...5/6672156.html

Thank God! "One Great City" was the most unimaginative, boring, bland slogan we could get At least this has some meaning to it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:09 AM

Photo credit to WFP of course

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:10 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post

Photo credit to WFP of course
It's too bad Winnipeg is represented by such a goofy looking dipshit.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:13 AM

Would of been better if WFP released a photo without Katz mouth open like that.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:30 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
Would of been better if WFP released a photo without Katz mouth open like that.
It would have been better without Katz; period.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:35 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
It would have been better without Katz; period.

At least he had the desire to create a new image for the city.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:30 AM
I am a typical

PHOTO OF THE MONTH!!

It's better than "Superior by Nature". What an outright lie on our part, eh? At least it's clever. Saskatchewan likes it so much they pretty much ripped us off. "Innovated by Nature" my ass, come up with an original logo you hicks!

(No offence to Saskatchewanders.)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:44 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
PHOTO OF THE MONTH!!

It's better than "Superior by Nature". What an outright lie on our part, eh? At least it's clever. Saskatchewan likes it so much they pretty much ripped us off. "Innovated by Nature" my ass, come up with an original logo you hicks!

(No offence to Saskatchewanders.)

Man as much as you slag your hometown; I do think that the Thunder Bay area really is superior by nature; literally. SE Manitoba and Northern Ontario have some of the most gorgeous natural landscapes in this country. I made a quick trip to the Whiteshell and Kenora when I was back in September long and remember how much I miss it. And I think Thunder Bay is a great city. I wouldn't mind ending up there one day. There or somewhere on the outskirts.

Gorgeous backcountry in that area!

*opens a can of beer and waits for the Calgarians to come and shit all over this thread by stating that people who prefer SE Manitoba or NW Ontario to the Rocky Mountains are mentally retarded*

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
*opens a can of beer and waits for the Calgarians to come and shit all over this thread by stating that people who prefer SE Manitoba or NW Ontario to the Rocky Mountains are mentally retarded*
How many beers is it now? I haven't seen any Calgarians shit all over this thread yet.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:47 AM
I am a typical

The region, yes. Best geography in Ontario. And there are lots of great things about the city, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Some people here do feel that our slogan is condescending to other cities, but that just shows there is little else to complain about, I guess.

Ever been to Arrow Lake? The drive to the lake from Suomi is amazing, you go through sort of a canyon. There are old logging roads that bring you up top but they're no longer accessible to vehicles, you have to hike. It's one of the highest points in the province. Neebing is pretty cool too, with all the mesas everywhere. It would be better if the highway was near the lake though, then it would be like MN-61 where you're between mountains and the lake. It's kind of like BC's coastal highways.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:00 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Ever been to Arrow Lake? The drive to the lake from Suomi is amazing, you go through sort of a canyon. There are old logging roads that bring you up top but they're no longer accessible to vehicles, you have to hike. It's one of the highest points in the province. Neebing is pretty cool too, with all the mesas everywhere. It would be better if the highway was near the lake though, then it would be like MN-61 where you're between mountains and the lake. It's kind of like BC's coastal highways.
Never been, but it's not on my "to see" list.

Anyways, back on track. What does everyone think of this slogan?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:15 AM

The slogan is better than "One Great City" but what is it really trying to say? Is emphasizing the fact that Winnipeg is in the geographic center of North America all that important? I would have preferred "Welcome to Winnipeg - Canada's Heartland" or better yet "Welcome to Winnipeg - Canada's Cultural Capital" This last slogan references to Winnipeg's culture and given that a new national museum is in the works it makes more sense to me.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:31 AM
Back from the dead

Well it's not particularly insipiring, original, or clever. For all that though, it's still a hundred times better than the last slogan.

I wonder how much this cost. I'm sure it was too much of course but I'd love to be the guy who comes up with civic slogans. That's got to be the easiest job in the world and it's bound to pay well to boot.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well it's not particularly insipiring, original, or clever. For all that though, it's still a hundred times better than the last slogan.

I wonder how much this cost. I'm sure it was too much of course but I'd love to be the guy who comes up with civic slogans. That's got to be the easiest job in the world and it's bound to pay well to boot.
Did you read the article at all? It came in well under budget, and the slogan was chosen via a vote by Manitoba citizens, who volunteered slogans.

I think its great personally.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and it looks like one of dan harpers photos

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 5:06 AM
ABOVE people like you

Signs suffer Heart Attack

What's the real message within the slogan. Are they trying to identify Winnipeg's location within Canada or North America. I would think if you were from out of province driving into the city that you would already know it's geographical location prior to seeing the signs when entering.
I think it should have captured the flavour of Winnipeg more with the excellent cultural aspects the city has to offer or something of that sort.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 1:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
What's the real message within the slogan. Are they trying to identify Winnipeg's location within Canada or North America. I would think if you were from out of province driving into the city that you would already know it's geographical location prior to seeing the signs when entering.
I think it should have captured the flavour of Winnipeg more with the excellent cultural aspects the city has to offer or something of that sort.
Winnipeg has been called the "Heart of the continent", in one form or another, since the 1880s. "Heart of the continent" was the signature line of a beloved local weatherman in the early years of television in the 50s and 60s. It's simple, enduring (in contrast, say, with "City of Champions"), memorable, accurate and uniquely Winnipeg's. For example, whatever Calgary and Edmonton might have going for them, they are not the heart of the continent. As a slogan, it might not be the most exciting, but it has the ring of authenticity, which these things hardly ever do.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:37 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Winnipeg has been called the "Heart of the continent", in one form or another, since the 1880s. "Heart of the continent" was the signature line of a beloved local weatherman in the early years of television in the 50s and 60s. It's simple, enduring (in contrast, say, with "City of Champions"), memorable, accurate and uniquely Winnipeg's. For example, whatever Calgary and Edmonton might have going for them, they are not the heart of the continent. As a slogan, it might not be the most exciting, but it has the ring of authenticity, which these things hardly ever do.
Yes... it was the signature line of a former local weatherman discribing the city.

I think its a great monicre .. and will serve the city well.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:37 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and it looks like one of dan harpers photos
Yes .. it is a Dan Harper photo.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 9:27 PM
Back from the dead

Ah, I stand corrected.
I still don't think we should be paying for somebody to come up with a slogan though. I mean really, "Heart of the Continent" ... ? Most of us could have come up with that and pieced together a nice little backdrop for a case of beer to compensate us for our time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan