HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:14 AM

Portland's Suburban Development

Portland's inner city developments usually steal the limelight. But there also a much quieter somewhat more interesting development revolution going on out in Portland's suburbs. Some good, some bad, but pretty fascinating none the less. Here's a small sample of Portland's suburban development revolution that's happening along the MAX blue line.

We'll start west of Portland at Sunset Transit Center in Beaverton.

That's a hospital and office complex in the distance. Hard to walk to.

Next stop is Beaverton Central. The plan here is to develop a new downtown for Beaverton.

This used to be a big parking lot for a strip mall and movie theatre. They are being demolished to build office buildings and condos.

This is Beaverton Creek, not far from Nike's Corporate Campus.

Here's Willow Creek.

These are from Elmonica.

Unlike most suburban places, here there's a lot of connectivity between developments. Think grid system.

The much touted Orenco Station in suburban Hillsboro.

That's Intel in the distance. Remember... jobs close to housing reduces auto trips.

Compact housing... big streets.

Maybe if I zoom in a little.

Now we flip to East of Portland. This 102nd near "Gateway". It's been planned to be the 2nd largest Metro regional center... a hub of transportation, jobs, and housing second only to downtown Portland.

Parts of Gateway are having trouble taking off... Your condos here, if you dare.

They took the dare.

Where's the beef? Where's the retail?

There it is.

Russian condos coming soon.

This is 122nd Ave. It's an interesting mix. Lot's of pedestrians and your typical strip development.

But wait, things are changing (sort of).

This strip mall was redeveloped with senior housing on top. I guess that makes it a mixed use strip mall.

Lots of run down houses around here too. They are on their way out... being replaced with the rundown equivalent that looms in the distance.

Here's 148th Ave.

Pizza...anyone?

Condo's...anyone?

172nd Ave just before you get to Gresham.

The is Gresham Civic, sprouting from the bare earth as we speak.

Here's a few extra random ones.

Happy Trails everyone!

Last edited by MitchE; Feb 13, 2007 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
BANNED

very clean and beautiful

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
Posh

That's not so bad. Good pics.

It reminds me of Issaquah Highlands, which I recently took some pictures of.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:57 PM
zzzzzzzz

Very interesting. You could do a lot worse for suburbs. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:10 PM

Real cute and great pics.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:57 PM

Great density, very walkable, and public transit, it is a shame all suburbs weren't built like this.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 9:09 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raraavis View Post
Great density, very walkable, and public transit, it is a shame all suburbs weren't built like this.
I agree.
one could do a lot worse.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:27 PM
Eurosceptic

very interesting to see this side of Portland.. we rarely see these types of areas on SSP... and while some of the design issues and functionality have improved over recent decades... I can't help but find the architecture in every one of these pics to be hideous... cartoonish... it's almost as if all these developments hired the same architect

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
very interesting to see this side of Portland.. we rarely see these types of areas on SSP... and while some of the design issues and functionality have improved over recent decades... I can't help but find the architecture in every one of these pics to be hideous... cartoonish... it's almost as if all these developments hired the same architect
I actually kind of like the architecture, but I guess that's because I'm in the southeast and we don't see a lot of the "cedar" type designs like what you typically find in the Pacific NW.

I love how everything is dense and near mass transit, and they have bike lanes and sidewalks everywhere. Cities and towns around the country could learn a lot from the Portland area.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 5:41 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I agree. The developments are pretty monotonous and lack character. Of course that is the case with most newer suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:47 PM

^it's what sells. I have to agree the design isn't bold, but it has encouraged people to ditch their cars and live in transit oriented development. Most suburban people still want their McMansion, or something that resembles it. I believe the builders in the burbs of Portland are really transitioning the thought from single family detached homes, to more dense living...I'd expect to see more modern design to follow, however there is a lot, A TON of modern infill going into Portland proper.

great pics MitchE, you've really captured how Portlanders view the modern suburban model...dense, clean, sustainable, transit oriented, if not a bit Disney-esque for fun.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:08 PM
BANNED

I attended a city council meeting in Hillsboro, a fast growing suburb and major employment center, where one of the members was requiring "craftsman" archiectural details on somewhat attractive and restrained project. He actually said, "if if isn't craftsman it isn't architecture".

In Lake Oswego, a tony suburb SW of Portland has basically outlawed modern architecture. The code there reads:

14. Building Design: Buildings shall be architecturally designed with a residential character and theme that reflect the architecture types that are historically indigenous to Lake Grove and Lake Oswego. Building character should reflect the residential English Country or Cottage style, borrow from the Arts and Crafts tradition, English Tudor style and the American Rustic Style. Elements of these styles which can be used for both residential, office/commercial and commercial uses, and major public facility structures within the design district include:
Complex Massing;
Asymmetrical composition;
Masonry and wood as exterior cladding materials;

Evaluation of the appearance of buildings and their conformance with these standards shall be based on the quality of design and relationship to the surroundings.
Windows types shall consist of double hung or divided lights. Large Plate glass windows and simulated divided lights are not allowed.

Materials for building walls may consist of:
Wood Shingle;
Brick;
Stone-granite or concrete at street level of Office-Commercial/Neighborhood Commercial at street level only;
Horizontal lap siding
Stucco and timbers on gable ends only.

The following exterior materials are not allowed:
EIFS or other synthetic stucco material;
Metal panels;
Flagstone;
Plywood Paneling;
Vinyl Cladding;
Composite wood siding of any kind;
Mirrored glass
Standard form concrete block (not including split faced, colored or other block designs, which mimic stone, brick or other masonry), and
Back-lighted fabrics

Pitched roofs are required and includes pitched gable end or hipped roofs. Small areas of flat roof not visible by the public or from adjoining residential areas may be allowed where necessary to accommodate mechanical equipment.
Roof materials shall consist of either cedar shingles or three tab composite shingles in dark grey, green or black colors. Metal roofs, colored roofs (red, blue or tan colors), and mansard or decorative roof forms are prohibited.

A few others are following suit. Mark is right, the market demands much of this stuff but when the cities jump on board it is hard for a good design to get built in the burbs.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:24 PM
Closed account

actually, i doesn't look that bad. well done.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:19 PM
E pluribus unum

Good stuff!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:25 PM

These are very nice suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:41 PM

Designwise, I think it's light years ahead of suburban Seattle.

Thanks for the pics...as previously mentioned, not the typical SSP photo subject.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:04 PM
Future God

Nice burbs PDX.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:09 PM

I really LOVE the design of most of those homes and condos. What an absolutely beautiful area - I want to move to Portland now!

(great pics too)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:46 PM

^as long as you're not from califas, you are welcome here...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^as long as you're not from califas, you are welcome here...
How about returning from cali after a 14-year hiatus? Oh, and I never heard the term "califas" before I read your post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos