HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 5:02 AM
Eurosceptic

Pittsburgh Film Industry Discussion

This is one of my favorite novels... it would be a tragedy if it was not filmed in the city that defined the story.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06111/683921-254.stm

Chabon's Pittsburgh movie may not be filmed here
Friday, April 21, 2006

By Barbara Vancheri, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cue the cloud factory. And if a little money rains down in the process, all the better.

If all goes as planned, "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh," Michael Chabon's 1988 novel that put him on the literary map, will be made into an $8 million to $9 million movie starring a yet-to-be-cast actor in the lead, plus Peter Sarsgaard and Sienna Miller.

Still to be decided, however, is whether the movie in which Pittsburgh is a virtual character will be made in Pittsburgh.

"We've always, always, always wanted to shoot in Pittsburgh," Michael London, CEO of Groundswell Productions, said yesterday by phone. "It's hard to imagine this story not being shot in Pittsburgh. But film production is really costly, and it varies a great deal from state to state, based upon the crew rates and the incentives individual locations can offer a film production company.

"We're looking for some compromises in Pittsburgh to allow us to shoot there and not have to leave and shoot somewhere less expensive," said Mr. London, whose producing credits include "The Family Stone," "Sideways," "House of Sand and Fog" and "Thirteen."

"The Pittsburgh film commission has been enormously helpful but they can't change things like basic crew rates, so we're in conversations now with the commission about everything from breaks on hotel rates to breaks on locations."

Mr. London called the Pennsylvania tax rebate program "very strong, very enticing" and said he wouldn't even be talking about Pittsburgh were it not for the state and city. Still, he said if he has to import and house most of the crew for months, that expense would eat into his budget.

Although the crew strength isn't what it was in the early 1990s, the business agent for the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 489 says membership hasn't shrunk since "The Mothman Prophecies" (released in 2002) or "Wonder Boys" (2000) were filmed here.

"The difference is a lot of our people obviously do a lot more commercial work than they used to," Jean-Pierre Nutini said yesterday. While there wouldn't be enough crew to staff three movies, "I think we're as deep as we have been for the last 10 years."

The balance between locals and out-of-towners (even if Pittsburgh has able workers, some key staffers prefer to bring their own crew) will factor into expenses. With three months of pre-production and two months of shooting, likely to start in August or early September, housing costs are key.

"I think everyone is motivated to get us to Pittsburgh. We're motivated to shoot in Pittsburgh, but we have to get our budget down ... or we have to look at other locations," Mr. London said.

He said he wasn't being wooed by other cities but "there are places like Louisiana and Canada, where either the crew rates are a lot cheaper or the incentives are even more significant." Money, of course, drove George Romero and his zombies to Canada for "Land of the Dead."

Dawn Keezer, director of the Pittsburgh Film Office, said she has been working with the filmmakers for months. "We hope to have good news soon. We would love to have them here."

As for the man who wrote "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh," he says good-naturedly, "Look, it's in the title, right? I really hope and pray and wish that it can be worked out."

Talking from his home in California yesterday, Mr. Chabon added, "Of course, I don't know anything about how these things are done and it's not my job to make those kinds of decisions, but I think it would be great for the movie and it would be great for the city, too," just as the film of "Wonder Boys" was. Mr. Chabon is a University of Pittsburgh graduate.

"Mysteries," to be written and directed by Rawson Thurber ("Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"), would be the first movie under Mr. London's new Groundswell banner. Although "Dodgeball" might seem an unusual warm-up, Mr. London said Mr. Thurber grew up on "Mysteries" and it's the reason he wanted to make movies, so he could turn the book into a film.

"Mysteries," a coming-of-age story set almost entirely in the East End, is about a character named Art Bechstein, a Pitt economics graduate spending the summer working in a bookstore. He becomes involved with two students, Phlox Lombardi and then Arthur Lecomte, who work at Hillman Library.

Actors, known and unknown, are reading for the lead of Art.

The screenplay calls for the characters of Arthur (not to be confused with Art) and Cleveland Arning to be consolidated into one, played by Mr. Sarsgaard. An actor who effortlessly moves between indie and mainstream movies, Mr. Sarsgaard last year was seen in "Jarhead," "Flightplan," "The Skeleton Key" and "The Dying Gaul."

Ms. Miller toured The Andy Warhol Museum in November, in preparation for her role as Edie Sedgwick in "Factory Girl." She would play Jane, who in the book is Cleveland's girlfriend and a blond Southerner.

Mr. London said financing is virtually complete. "No movie is completely a go, no matter what anyone ever told you," but he feels confident the movie will be shot this fall.

"The only thing that's holding us back now is figuring out whether we're shooting in Pittsburgh. We're in daily conversations with Dawn Keezer. ... She's been really helpful."

Mr. Chabon, meanwhile, is working on a screenplay of his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay." It's the story of two fictional comic-book creators set primarily in the 1930s and '40s.

He interrupted his writing to recall stopping in the Curtain Call shop Downtown a few years ago and finding "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" among the souvenirs. "It made me feel really happy."

As for the changes Mr. Thurber made in adapting the book, Mr. Chabon called them bold and in service of storytelling. "You're not just making a transcript of the novel with pictures, you're trying to reinvent the story so it works as a movie. ... I think it's going to be great."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Movie editor Barbara Vancheri can be reached at bvancheri@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1632. )

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 12:52 PM
America's Hometown

I don't understand why there is so much filming done down in Philly that it's cost prohibitive in Pittsburgh? Sounds like a flimsy excuse to me by the producer. Louisiana? How in the hell can you make any place in Louisiana look like Pittsburgh? Hell....the one thing about "Queer As Folk" was that Toronto doesn't look a thing like Pittsburgh and it always bothered me seeing a flat city posing for Pittsburgh. How many cities have a 500 foot hill looming across from it's downtown?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 3:45 PM
Shred Guitar Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation
I don't understand why there is so much filming done down in Philly that it's cost prohibitive in Pittsburgh? Sounds like a flimsy excuse to me by the producer. Louisiana? How in the hell can you make any place in Louisiana look like Pittsburgh? Hell....the one thing about "Queer As Folk" was that Toronto doesn't look a thing like Pittsburgh and it always bothered me seeing a flat city posing for Pittsburgh. How many cities have a 500 foot hill looming across from it's downtown?

who knows. Where the hell are they gonna film in Louisiana anyways?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 12:53 PM

Agreed. Considering what it could do for the city's image if it were filmed here, I think the state should ante up some funds or additional tax relief for it. All the money that is wasted on things like coming up with a theme song, or branding campaigns, it would be ridiculous to squander the possible publicity this movie could generate for the city.
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 1:02 PM

I've been recently wondering when "Mysteries...", one of my all-time favorite books and kinda/sorta my own coming-of-age-story would be filmed...then I read the story in the Post-Gazette online this morning. It would really suck if this isn't filmed in town. $8 to $9 million seems to be a shoe string budget for a film today, so I guess costs really are a major hurdle. I really hope the Pgh Film Office can work with all the parties involved and find a way for this, and future productions to once again find Pgh an irresistable location.

I live in South Florida and see filming quite often. Take away palm trees and the Atlantic...a blander location never existed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 5:31 PM
LoveLight

Well, here's hoping they work it out and shoot the movie in Pittsburgh. It's always exciting to see H'wood films shot here!

Don't get me started on QaF.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 7:41 PM
Boxed in by parking decks

So many movies that are supposed to take place in the Northeast have their outdoor scenes shot in Toronto these days that if they shot it in Pittsburgh people would probably be confused and think it was another country.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 8:03 PM

It would give authenticity to the film, filmed on location in Pittsburgh. That's important to the film's integrity IMO. Why they don't identify the reasons why not and ask the appropriate officials to negotiate a resolution to make sure it happens.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 1:18 PM
www.proudpittsburgh.com

Pittsburgh can not buy the kind of publicity that this movie will bring to the city. It is akin to the All-star game, Bassmasters, etc. Movies about Pittsburgh, filmed in Pittsburgh, adapted from a great book written by a Pittsburgher don't come along every day. The region needs to do what it has to do to ensure that this is filmed here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 4:57 PM

That would really suck if that happens.

Old Posted May 1, 2006, 11:24 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06121/686419-192.stm

Editorial: Made right here / Do the deal to film 'Mysteries of Pittsburgh'
Monday, May 01, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's not "The Mysteries of Baton Rouge," "The Mysteries of Santa Fe" or "The Mysteries of Toronto."

It's Michael Chabon's 1988 coming-of-age novel, "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh," and the movie version should be filmed in Pittsburgh, as were the films "Wonder Boys" and three of the four George Romero zombie pictures. Mr. Chabon hopes it will be shot here and the film's producer says he always has wanted to shoot it here.

"But film production is really costly," Michael London, CEO of Groundswell Productions, told the Post-Gazette. "We're looking for some compromises in Pittsburgh to allow us to shoot there and not have to leave and shoot somewhere else less expensive."

Although Pittsburgh is a player on the national filmmaking landscape, it has been losing out as a shooting location to other cities, states and countries that offer more money and perks. Even Mr. Romero, who put Pittsburgh on the map as a movie location with his zombie flicks, shot his last one, "Land of the Dead," in Toronto, which offers more breaks to the industry.

Movie makers are accustomed to receiving free hotel rooms, free police services, free office space and other extras that help reduce their bottom line. In Pennsylvania, filmmakers can get a 20 percent tax credit on their budget. But the total pot of such tax credits available in a fiscal year is $10 million. The state House is considering legislation to change the tax credit to an outright grant, but still with a $10 million cap.

"Cash is better than credit, but we need to increase the amount to at least $30 million to be competitive with everybody else who wants this extremely lucrative business," says Dawn Keezer, director of the Pittsburgh Film Office. Louisiana and New Mexico are extremely popular movie locations right now because they offer some of the most lucrative state incentives to movie makers.

We appeal to Gov. Ed Rendell, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Mayor Bob O'Connor to work together with the state and local film commissions to try to make this film happen, here, in Pittsburgh.

Filmmaking can inject millions of dollars into the local economy. If Pennsylvania is serious about luring filmmakers, it has to court the film industry -- a $10 billion a year enterprise -- as it would a Toyota assembly plant or a Downtown developer.

Don't let the film version of "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" go the way of "Land of the Dead." Cue zombies. Exit country, North!

Old Posted May 1, 2006, 1:27 PM
From the Shwa

I heard this will be shot in the Toronto area, more specifically Hamilton as it is a industrial steel city with a mountain similar to Pittsburgh

Old Posted May 1, 2006, 2:53 PM

if this is true, then a leading character will be lost. pathetic.

Old Posted May 1, 2006, 3:03 PM

Whatever happened to that Steelcity group of Pittsburgh Hollywood people who were going to turn Pittsburgh into this great movie making mecca?? Are they still an operating entity? I knew it wouldn't amount to anything when they all came rolling into town 2 or 3 years ago with all their promises. It is a shame because they managed to get all of those people into town and they all seemed like they were committed and then nothing. Though I think most of those people were has beens or never beens, they did get some heavy hitters involved and it seems like this could be a little project to get the group energized again. I mean if between them, the government, and the Pittsburgh Film Office cannot land a movie where the city itself is so important, then what good are they?? Seems like we will always get a small handful of projects whether they exist or not.
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

Old Posted May 1, 2006, 6:03 PM

It's a no brainer that the state must get more aggressive in its efforts to lure film production. I would love to see post production done and a small stable film making community created.

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 5:33 PM

A local in the industry adds his 2 cents...

Quote:

The Private Sector: Pittsburgh no Hollywood ... yet
Facilities, funds, unity and cooperation needed to expand local media production industry
Tuesday, May 02, 2006

By Todd Eckert

Last month I opened the paper to find an article saying the film of Michael Chabon's excellent novel "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" might not be shot here. This was disappointing, but not a shock. After all, "Chicago" was shot in Toronto. "Gangs of New York" was made in an outer borough called Italy. I personally am producing a feature film about a guy who was a driving force of the music scene in the British city of Manchester. We're shooting in Nottingham.

"Mysteries" is not confirmed one way or another, so for the moment I'll leave it alone and the city's film folks will undoubtedly do whatever they can to help the producers make it here. I'm sure they would like to shoot it in Pittsburgh, just as I would have preferred to work in Manchester (nothing against Nottingham, but filmmakers generally like shooting where they're actually supposed to be).

For us it all came down to money and communication, just as it does on any media project and undoubtedly as it is with "Mysteries." No incentives were available from Manchester and the film office wasn't all that engaged in keeping us there. In Nottingham (or more accurately the East Midlands), there was a regional fund that would give us a big slug of money so long as we met certain criteria, such as utilizing as much local crew as we could and spending at least three times our grant in the region (we're spending five times). Thus Nottingham -- simple.

So, the "Mystery" remains unsolved and uncertain, at least as far as Pittsburgh is concerned. And if a film with the name of the town in the title isn't a lock, why would anyone else come here? And perhaps more importantly, why should media production matter to anyone other than the locals looking to ski the choppy waters of stardom?

It's important to recognize that media is not simply film and television production, though both are obviously important. It's also video games, online content, publishing, software -- in essence, all distributed communications. In a modern economy, being a media hub means money and jobs. And as it turns out, Pittsburgh is full of resources most cities can't even imagine, regardless of size.

The Entertainment Technology Center at Carnegie Mellon University, for example, is the world's premier institution for a master's degree blending the fine arts and technology. And it may be better known around the rest of the world than it is here.

I was at a corporate function in Berlin not long ago and introduced as being from Pittsburgh. Someone I'd never met, smiling broadly, said the ETC was excellent. He was really excited, and he was right to be -- the future of all media is as much about emerging technologies as it is creative spark, and the best place in the world to meld those sensibilities is a stone's throw from Downtown on the Mon.

There's also Pittsburgh Filmmakers (one of the few media-exclusive schools in the country), the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, the regional offices of the state Department of Community and Economic Development and the governor's office (they really do care!) and one of the most robust foundation communities to be found anywhere. Additionally, there's Steeltown Entertainment (a nonprofit dedicated to encouraging local production through Pittsburgh expats working in Hollywood) and the Pittsburgh Film Office. Finally, the Pennsylvania Legislature has passed a vigorous incentive package for film and television production. It's among the best in the country (at least the new version is).

Of course, most of these attributes have been here for years, and the Pittsburgh media industry remains anemic and almost entirely destination-oriented. Certainly there are success stories -- Jesse Schell, a faculty member of the ETC at Carnegie Mellon, has successfully started Schell Games, creating content for clients such as Disney and growing like crazy. The Downtown production firm PMI does a ton of TV syndication work. But a few companies and the periodic location shoot do not make for a vibrant industry, nor do they make much of an economic impact, and that's what really counts.

I believe just a bit of tweaking within the existing institutions, as well as a couple of key additions, would transform Pittsburgh into a hub of media production while allowing it to control much more of its own economic destiny in these industries:

1. Pittsburgh needs facilities: While there are some stages (studios) and post-production facilities in the city, there is not a world-class production campus capable of producing a major, modern feature film in its entirety. A facility incorporating new technologies -- perhaps in concert with the ETC, along with the basic necessities of workshops, offices, wardrobe areas, etc. -- is crucial to the success of the region. First-rate post-production suites (editing, sound design, etc.) also are important, as the future of media is in many ways controlled beyond the camera.

2. Put together a local incentive package: Once the facility has been established, it makes sense to augment the Pennsylvania state benefits with a local subsidy for media production. Such a program can be established without additional cost to taxpayers and with little risk, and will serve as the carrot that will keep the facility booked year-round. Such consistent activity will indicate that the industry has established a foothold in Pittsburgh, and media professionals will move here for the work.

3. Get local groups to work as a united front: If a media community seems fractured, it's not inviting to anyone, from people coming to the city to work on single projects to companies looking to establish production centers. All the local institutions -- schools, groups, government bodies -- must be actively cooperative and supportive of each other, even if they are competing for business. Get the projects here and everyone will benefit.

4. Get nontraditional businesses involved: Media businesses require many professional people outside of traditional production jobs. Pittsburgh will benefit hugely if it can offer media banking, insurance and legal services to productions. This would be simple, cheap to implement, hugely profitable and allow the city to control more of the production process, and therefore more of its industrial destiny.

In the future I hope to see "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" as a problem solved -- a local treatise made global via celluloid shot in our very own back yard. But ultimately, I'm most interested in the big picture: the impact media can have on the economy and image of the city.

This is an industry, a big, moving factory that doesn't make the rivers smell and employs lots of people at good wages. And they're not just artsy sorts -- they're carpenters, drivers, agents, cooks, programmers, electricians, editors. They're a thousand different skilled and nonskilled positions. They can change the complexion of a city in no time. And I'm hopeful -- reasonably, realistically hopeful -- that this is exactly what will happen.

Old Posted May 5, 2006, 4:45 AM
Eurosceptic

in other Pittsburgh film news... this is so bizarre...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06125/687601-325.stm

Goldblum's 'Pittsburgh' rides line between reality and role playing
A doc or a mock?
Friday, May 05, 2006

By Christopher Rawson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW YORK -- Is it real? Or just "real"?

That's what the cinematically hip audience at the Tribeca Film Festival wanted to know at a premiere screening of "Pittsburgh," a new 84-minute comic documentary (or is it "documentary"?) by Chris Bradley and Kyle LaBrache.

The wry, comic story (or "story") is all about actor Jeff Goldblum, returning to his native town with a couple of show-biz pals and his young Canadian girlfriend, Catherine Wreford, to star in a July 2004 production of "The Music Man" at Pittsburgh CLO. The audience laughed as it watched the onscreen Goldblum obsess over taking a break from his film career to return to the musical comedy stage in a challenging role, then rehearse, obsess, panic and perform.

When the film was over and Goldblum, Bradley, LaBrache and co-star Illeana Douglas stood up in three-dimensional reality to answer questions, they mostly dealt with the dominant issue facing all art and media today, the line between reality and fiction.

"Was that really your mother?" they asked Goldblum. Or more to the point, was "Harvey Tyson," who seemed a comically hyper-real figure from a Christopher Guest mockumentary (a summer theater version of "Waiting for Guffman," say), really his stepfather? Was that Goldblum's agent? Had he really turned down high-budget movie offers to go do summer theater?

Peering impishly through owlish glasses, the live Goldblum responded, "That's interesting ... did it seem like my mother?"

Actually she is. "Life," it seems, imitates life. And art imitates both.

As far as this happy, intrigued audience was concerned, "Pittsburgh" could easily be the story of a movie star rather like Goldblum, conspiring with a young woman performer who might or might not really be his girlfriend, to go to a fictional place rather like Pittsburgh and play Harold Hill and Marian the Librarian right there in the barn -- although in this case, the barn is the 2,800-seat Benedum Center.

But for me, who interviewed Goldblum extensively when he was here that summer and then reviewed his "Music Man" performance not once but twice, the movie is clearly more than 90 percent actual documentary footage, spiced up with planned scenes to heighten plot or character points. But even though I knew that the fellow with the British accent really was CLO director Richard Sabellico and not some actor playing an idea of a comically distressed director, even I doubted that stepfather.

It turns out he's real. Still, I momentarily wondered if the whole thing been an extended put-up job. Was the then-23-year-old Wreford really the fiancee of the 51-year-old Goldblum? (After all, they're no longer together.) The real Goldblum really did struggle with his stage role; his onscreen anxiety is surely real; but is it "enhanced"? Did he possibly go through all that solely for the sake of this comic documentary? Where did the acting begin -- always a question with Goldblum, even in real life?

Then I realized the dynamic at work. Put a distancing frame around anything and it acquires self-consciousness and tilts toward parody, implying fiction, especially in this boundary-crossing age. Imagine watching yourself on film reading the newspaper: Presto, you're an actor. More than just about anyone in that audience, I knew most of the footage was real. But some moments are clearly not, and others fall in between, and it may be impossible to sort them out, even for those involved.

Better just to enjoy the movie, in which Pittsburgh does not, I'm happy to report, look especially foolish -- not even City Councilman Doug Shields, announcing Jeff Goldblum Day in a scene in the mayor's office, for all the silliness of Goldblum's overreaction.

(Disclosure: Like everyone else who dealt with Goldblum during those weeks in 2004, I was shot for the movie, too, on a half-day I spent with him visiting the scenes of his childhood in Squirrel Hill, Homestead and Munhall. But you won't find me complaining that I ended up on the digital cutting-room floor.)

There's an interpretative clue to the movie in the filmmakers' obsession over shots of the Clemente Bridge. I'd guess that's because they were staying right there at the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, but it points up the neat parallel between our city of three rivers and "Music Man's" fictional town of River City, Iowa. It isn't straining to see a similar parallel between Harold Hill's arrival there, with a con game to launch, and Goldblum's arrival at the CLO, with his own mixed motives (mixed even to him).

At first glance, the skittish Goldblum makes as ambiguous a match with self-assured Harold in real life as he did in his erratic performance on stage. Harold arrives in River City with a firm plan and achieves more than he intends, finding love to boot; Goldblum left Pittsburgh with less stage success than he hoped (and we don't know about the love).

But the movie suggests otherwise, showing a standing ovation to suggest that the opening night went well, and it supplies a Hollywood happy ending with Goldblum and Wreford dreaming of co-stardom on Broadway -- not a bad parallel to Harold and Marian. On film, Goldblum is a very effective "Jeff Goldblum."

And after all, perhaps Goldblum's experience on stage, encouraged by Wreford, is rather like Harold's, who is encouraged and produces a sort of a boys' band in spite of himself. Meanwhile, movie actor Goldblum did leave town with a success after all: the 400 hours of raw footage which were whittled down to these entertaining 84 minutes over the next year and a half by Bradley and LaBrache.

The completed movie's chief targets of gentle parody are Goldblum's goofy obsessiveness, his pal Ed Begley's goofy (however sincere) environmentalism and the totally bizarre on-screen relationship between Douglas and musician Moby. However the latter may have been enacted through improv, it seems entirely storyboarded, like the phone calls from Goldblum's agent about supposed movie deals.

Begley and Douglas are involved because Goldblum talks them into coming along as a package deal, to play Mayor and Mrs. Shinn in the musical. They never seemed especially at home on stage, but they are great in the film, wryly sending themselves up. Wreford always appears mainly as an adjunct to Goldblum, never speaking up for herself. She wasn't at all like that in person.

The quasi-fictionality of the actual "Music Man" performance (and were those shots all of opening night?) is increased by the limits placed on the filmmakers. They could use only a certain amount of creator Meredith Willson's material, so composer David G. Byrne supplies ingratiating accompaniment; and some of the actors didn't sign waivers, so they were further limited in what they shot.

It's never made clear in the film that much rehearsal was extra work done with Goldblum before CLO's famously brief six-day sprint to production. That's a practice that could have been cited in extenuation of the visitors' performances -- and in defense of Goldblum's acting, he turned in a fine nonmusical performance the following year in Broadway's "The Pillowman."

The film is 47 minutes old before Goldblum actually arrives in Pittsburgh, to be interviewed by KDKA's Jennifer Antkowiak, and it's 70 minutes before we arrive at opening night. That performance, though clearly tentative in parts, ends with the ovation which puts a shiny gloss on the troubles Goldblum has had along the way.

That standing O was really (I'd say) for all those Pittsburgh kids playing townspeople.

But what's real?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Post-Gazette drama critic Christopher Rawson can be reached at crawson@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1666. )

Jeff Goldblum as Professor Harold Hill in Pittsburgh CLO 's production of "The Music Man."

Old Posted May 5, 2006, 4:48 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06125/687596-325.stm

Actors, filmmakers give story behind comic film 'Pittsburgh'
Friday, May 05, 2006

By Christopher Rawson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The principals from the film "Pittsburgh" field questions after the picture's Tribeca Film Festival screening. From left: actor Jeff Goldblum, actress Illeana Douglas, and filmmakers Chris Bradley and Kyle LaBrache. "Pittsburgh" was screened at the AMC Loews Village movie theater on 11th Street in New York City.

The Monday screening of "Pittsburgh" was the second of three at the Tribeca Film Festival, so it didn't have the red carpet and party of Saturday's premiere, which was attended by such real Pittsburghers as Doug Shields.

But when it was over, filmmakers Chris Bradley and Kyle LeBrache (who write, shoot and edit in tandem) and star Jeff Goldblum and actor/comic Illeana Douglas, who's featured in the movie, stood up to answer questions. And then conversations continued out into the corridors and lobby.

Goldblum's answers usually mystified, playfully obscuring the boundaries between documentary footage and scenes improvised to fit the "story." He encouraged the audience to regard the CLO's "The Music Man" as just a subset of the overriding plan to make a movie. So when he revealed that his mother and other family details in the film are real, one questioner was embarrassed that he had assumed they must be fictional.

"They actually gave me that [Jeff Goldblum] Day," he said, to general laughter. But "we really did do the show."

Asked about the truth of the subplot of her deteriorating love relationship with Moby, Douglas took a long pause and then said, "It was based ... on true events."

LaBrache addressed the border between real and fictional: "The idea was to create scenes where everyone could pull from their real lives ... in a semi-fictional situation they all have back stories to draw on that seem realistic."

I asked why the movie is called "Pittsburgh" and not "Goldblum." Bradley said it was because Pittsburgh was the "passionate" goal. Goldblum cited "Nashville." I expect they think that name adds to the humor. Go figure.

Later, Bradley and LaBrache had a clearer answer when asked why they label as actors the people who are themselves in the film. Everyone, they said, turns performer when you turn on the home recorder or video camera.

Me included. "You were good," they said in passing about footage in which I took Goldblum and his then-fiancee Catherine Wreford around town, interviewing him about his youth. My guess is that they cut these scenes of Goldblum in Homestead and Munhall because they might have been too real, discordant in the overall goofiness. (But there may be a DVD with added material, so perhaps the threat is not past.)

Bradley and LaBrache praised Goldblum, who was willing to be the butt of much of the humor. "It was a collaboration. We were afraid he might object to some stuff, but he was fine."

In the audience was late night TV host Conan O'Brien, who appears in the movie when Goldblum goes on his show and finds he's in the No. 2 slot because he's just going to talk about a stage play in Pittsburgh. He admitted that a backstage scene in which he tells Goldblum he's now set a precedent and may not get back to No. 1, was in response to the filmmakers' invitation to have fun. Normally, he would never tell guests such hard truths, he said.

O'Brien also said that Goldblum is just about a perfect talk-show guest, because even his awkwardness is funny.

Joining in the conversation were Michael McKean, from the Christopher Guest mockumentaries and now starring in "The Pajama Game" on Broadway, with his wife, actress Annette O'Toole, and "Pajama Game" co-star, Joyce Chittick. Maybe seeing McKean encouraged the audience's expectation of mockumentary fun.

The filmmakers like the idea of bringing "Pittsburgh" to the Three Rivers Film Festival. It will be interesting to see if the audience here is so ready to regard documentary scenes as comic constructs.

(Post-Gazette theater editor Christopher Rawson can be reached at crawson@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1666.)

Among the crowd spilling out of the theater after the screening of "Pittsburgh" were late night talk show host Conan O'Brien, who appears in the movie), actor Michael McKean and Actress Annette O'Toole.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 4:23 AM
Eurosceptic

YAY!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06160/696817-254.stm

Film notes: Chabon's 'Mysteries of Pittsburgh' will film here
Friday, June 09, 2006

By Barbara Vancheri, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh will play itself -- in all of its Cloud Factory, Lost Neighborhood, Checkpoint of Too Much Fun glory -- in "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh." Unless something unforeseen happens, the movie will not be the one that got away.

Max Minghella, recently of "Art School Confidential" has been tapped to star in "Mysteries of Pittsburgh."

In April, there was doubt that Pittsburgh would land the movie version of Michael Chabon's novel, but the production company found ways to cut costs, with the help of the city, county and state.

If "Mysteries" had gone elsewhere, it would have been a psychological, moral and financial blow. Chabon told the Post-Gazette at the time, "Look, it's in the title, right? I really hope and pray and wish that it can be worked out."

Director Rawson Marshall Thurber, who also is adapting the novel, will be in town this weekend scouting locations for the film.

It will star Max Minghella, an up-and-coming actor who is the son of "The English Patient" director Anthony Minghella. He will play the lead alongside previously announced actors Peter Sarsgaard and Sienna Miller.

A star of "Art School Confidential," Max Minghella was George Clooney's teenage son in "Syriana" and the religiously rebellious brother of the champion speller in "Bee Season," also featuring Richard Gere and Juliette Binoche.

"I think that we feel pretty confident that Pittsburgh is giving us every reason to make the movie in Pittsburgh. Our issues are more just pleading the financing for the movie now, which we're in the home stretch of," Michael London, CEO of Groundswell Productions, said by phone.

"It's more like when we shoot in Pittsburgh now than if we shoot in Pittsburgh," London added. He has shaved the budget to $6 million to $7 million and hopes to start shooting in early September.

"The city and state were very aggressive in terms of what they offered to us, so part of the scouting trip is just to talk about the nuts and bolts and make sure that we can take advantage of everything they've talked about. It's kind of a fact-finding mission just to be sure that everything that's been discussed we can actually make concrete."

London, who wasn't flying to Pittsburgh on this trip, said the production had been discussing hotel costs, crew rates and the state's grant initiative, which can return 20 percent to a production company.

Vicki Dee Rock, the head of physical production for Groundswell who was production accountant on "The Silence of the Lambs" here, said help was being provided on a number of fronts, from financing the scouting trip to securing office space at very little charge.

Dawn Keezer, director of the Pittsburgh Film Office, said yesterday, "We're thrilled. It's been an exciting process to have the governor's office and county executive's office all step forward to offer them much needed assistance to secure the filming of 'Mysteries' in Pittsburgh, where it belongs.

"We're hopeful that this will bring even more opportunities for more cooperation from these entities to have even more work in the region. Pittsburgh's been fortunate to have some of the lowest union rates in the country," and that, coupled with a change in incentives, could lure other projects.

Starting July 1, the state will offer outright grants rather than tax credits to filmmakers, a change that should make Pennsylvania more attractive in an increasingly competitive world.

The state will provide up to a 20 percent film production grant. Sixty percent of the total expenses of a feature or TV movie, TV pilot or episode must be incurred in the state, and some expenses are eligible (construction, lighting, wardrobe, for instance) and others (marketing and music rights, for instance) are not. The pool of money will be capped at $10 million a year.

"Mysteries" is a coming-of-age story set almost entirely in the East End. It's about a character named Art Bechstein, a University of Pittsburgh economics graduate spending the summer working in a bookstore.

The novel put Chabon on the map and held up a new mirror to the city for natives and newcomers alike. Among the book's most vivid descriptions is the "Cloud Factory," where a building spits out "these great clouds, perfectly white and clean, white as new baseballs."

No details yet on who will handle local hiring or casting.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 4:34 AM

Well that is a relief!! I had already figured Toronto was a done deal - which would have been a tragedy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast