HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:21 AM
Pay it Forward

Fortune 500 2024 By Metro Area(MSA)

Please check your MSA to verify. I was scrolling in the interactive map and counted that way----

Fortune 500 2024 By Metro Area(MSA)
55 New York
31 Chicago
23 San Francisco
22 Houston
21 Dallas
20 San Jose
19 Washington DC
17 Atlanta
15 Boston
15 Minneapolis
12 Seattle
11 Miami
11 Philadelphia
10 Denver
10 Phoenix
9 Bridgeport
9 Los Angeles
8 Charlotte
8 Richmond
7 Cincinnati
7 Detroit
7 Pittsburgh
6 Cleveland
6 Milwaukee
6 St Louis
5 Columbus
5 Nashville
5 Providence
5 Tampa
4 Hartford
4 Omaha
3 Austin
3 Fayetteville, AR
3 Indianapolis
3 Memphis
3 Oklahoma City
3 Raleigh
3 San Antonio
3 San Diego
2 Birmingham
2 Boise
2 Des Moines
2 Las Vegas
2 Louisville
2 Tulsa
2 Virginia Beach

https://fortune.com/ranking/fortune500/2024/

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Last edited by dimondpark; Jun 6, 2024 at 3:33 PM. Reason: corrections

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I know SF and SJ are officially separate but they are so integrated it just doesn't make sense. Especially when it comes to who works where.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:46 AM

DFW has only 21. From the Dallas Business Journal:

“The Dallas-Fort Worth metro has 21 companies on the latest Fortune 500. That was down slightly from last year, and there were several notable changes to the ranking.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...companies.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I remember the old days, when NYC was so far in the lead, with over a fifth of the Fortune 500 HQs.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:45 PM

I counted 60 for the NY MSA, with an additional 9 in Fairfield County, and 2 in Allentown, for a total of 71 in the NY CSA. I used this compilation so not sure who much it differs from the graphic posted by Fortune: https://www.50pros.com/fortune500

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:00 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I counted 60 for the NY MSA, with an additional 9 in Fairfield County, and 2 in Allentown, for a total of 71 in the NY CSA. I used this compilation so not sure who much it differs from the graphic posted by Fortune: https://www.50pros.com/fortune500
This list, as I was alluding to in another thread, highlights just how far in front the Bay Area is in terms of technocentricity.

Bay Area (24)
Adobe
Airbnb
Alphabet
AMD
Apple
Applied Materials
Broadcom
Cisco
Ebay
HP
Intel
Intuit
KLA
Lam Research
Meta
Netflix
Nvidia
PayPal
Salesforce
Sanmina
ServiceNow
Uber
VMware
Western Digital

Seattle (4)
Amazon
Coupang
Expedia
Microsoft

NYC (2)
IBM
Kyndryl Holdings

Austin (2? 3?)
Dell
Oracle*
Tesla* (? depends if you count this as a tech company; that list categorized them as motor vehicles & parts)
*notable that both Oracle and Tesla came from the Bay Area

Atlanta (1)
NCR

Miami (1)
Chewy

Denver (1)
Qurate Retail

Nashville (0)

Portland (0)

^ Just added those last few since someone described those as tech havens.

Last edited by homebucket; Jun 6, 2024 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:08 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This list, as I was alluding to in another thread, highlights just how far in front the Bay Area is in terms of technocentricity.

Bay Area (24)
Adobe
Airbnb
Alphabet
AMD
Apple
Applied Materials
Broadcom
Cisco
Ebay
HP
Intel
Intuit
KLA
Lam Research
Meta
Netflix
Nvidia
PayPal
Salesforce
Sanmina
ServiceNow
Uber
VMware
Western Digital

Seattle (4)
Amazon
Coupang
Expedia
Microsoft

NYC (2)
IBM
Kyndryl Holdings

Austin (1? 2?)
Oracle
Tesla (? depends if you count this as a tech company; that list categorized them as motor vehicles & parts)
*notable that both these companies came from the Bay Area

Atlanta (1)
NCR

Miami (1)
Chewy

Denver (1)
Qurate Retail

Nashville (0)

Portland (0)

^ Just added those last few since someone described those as tech havens.
I'm not sure what methodology you are using, but Dell is HQd in the Austin suburb of Round Rock. Dell is also a homegrown Austin company.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:12 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I'm not sure what methodology you are using, but Dell is HQd in the Austin suburb of Round Rock. Dell is also a homegrown Austin company.
Thanks I’ll update the list. I sorted by state and then city but didn’t catch Round Rock.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:31 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Is there a link to the list that is not behind a paywall?
I’ve been using this one since the one in the OP is behind a paywall as you noted. Not sure if it’s the exact same list but at least this one is accessible.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:14 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
I wish Fortune used this format because it's more functional and user friendly imo, but the figures are actually different from the Fortune site. I don't know why that is?

For example, the F500 site says Walmart's revenue was $648B whereas 50pros says it's $611B---

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:25 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
I wish Fortune used this format because it's more functional and user friendly imo, but the figures are actually different from the Fortune site. I don't know why that is?

For example, the F500 site says Walmart's revenue was $648B whereas 50pros says it's $611B---
I noticed the link ihearthed provided also doesn't have companies like Concentrix, DoorDash, Electronic Arts, Equinix, Synnex and Workday on it, for Bay Area companies. So something isn't quite matching with the two lists.

If they are indeed on the F500 list, that would elevate the Bay Area to 30 tech companies that are in the F500.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I remember the old days, when NYC was so far in the lead, with over a fifth of the Fortune 500 HQs.
It’s still so far in the lead.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:24 PM

Any in Hawaii or Utah ?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:47 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
Any in Hawaii or Utah ?
I was wondering the same thing. A bit surprised to not see SLC on there. But, then again, OP missed a few, so maybe there are some that just haven't been counted up, yet.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:59 PM

It's true that in the 1970's and 1980's, NY region had a ton of public companies decamp to the Sunbelt. In the 1970's especially, there was really crazy corporate outmigration.

In more recent decades, it isn't that the region is losing companies, it's that tech companies not located in the region have such high valuations, crowding out more traditional finance, insurance and the like that would have made F500 in the past. Also a lot of these traditional high value companies are now private.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's true that in the 1970's and 1980's, NY region had a ton of public companies decamp to the Sunbelt. In the 1970's especially, there was really crazy corporate outmigration.

In more recent decades, it isn't that the region is losing companies, it's that tech companies not located in the region have such high valuations, crowding out more traditional finance, insurance and the like that would have made F500 in the past. Also a lot of these traditional high value companies are now private.
I think it's more that the Fortune 500 list looks wildly different than it did in the 1970s. The geography of the list almost certainly changes more because of business factors (valuations, mergers/acquisitions, bankruptcy) than from companies moving. Most of Texas' Fortune 500 list is dominated by oil & gas, which is a sector made up of companies that were never located in New York (or Chicago, or Detroit, which have lost just as much ground on the list).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Using your link, I count 31 F500 HQs for Chicagoland.

OP's list says 28.

I wonder where these discrepancies are coming from?

Quote:
Most of Texas' Fortune 500 list is dominated by oil & gas, which is a sector made up of companies that were never located in New York (or Chicago, or Detroit, which have lost just as much ground on the list).
Chicago used to be home to a very big O&G company, Standard Oil of Indiana. They changed their name to "Amoco" in the 80s, and then they later got absorbed into BP, and while there are still a fair number of BP jobs here, along with the HUGE refinery over in Whiting, IN, the combined company is now HQ'ed out of London.

Back when Standard Oil of Indiana was a huge deal, they built this noteworthy edifice for themselves. It was the fourth tallest building on the planet back when it was completed in 1973.

Source: wikipedia

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Using your link, I count 31 F500 HQs for Chicagoland.

OP's list says 28.

I wonder where these discrepancies are coming from?

Chicago used to be home to a very big O&G company, Standard Oil of Indiana. They changed their name to "Amoco" in the 80s, and then they later got absorbed into BP, and while there are still a fair number of BP jobs here, along with the HUGE refinery over in Whiting, IN, the combined company is now HQ'ed out of London.

Back when Standard Oil of Indiana was a huge deal, they built this noteworthy edifice for themselves. It was the fourth tallest building on the planet back when it was completed in 1973.

Source: wikipedia
And NYC had Exxon and Mobil, both of which decamped in the early 80s for Texas and VA respectively before combining into the Exxon Texas company. Oil and gas in the 70s and 80s was 25% or more of the S&P index but I think it is only about 2% now. And LA had Oxy which has left for Houston. To show that HQs may not matter as much, SF metro still has Chevron HQ with maybe a few hundred employees, but Houston has thousands of Chevron employees. NYC still has the Hess (I am not sure if it is in the F500 anymore and Chevron wants to buy it) HQ with maybe a few hundred but I believe the bulk of the Hess staff is in Houston. It is not like the old days for most companies (except maybe for newer techs), especially industrial companies like Kodak in its heyday, which I think had 50,000 in Rochester.

Last edited by DCReid; Jun 5, 2024 at 8:21 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

When I was still in consulting, the BP's Chicago (alternative energies) office was our biggest client. Not sure how big of a presence they are in Chicago these days but BP are HQ'ed out of Houston for their North American operations.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Most of Texas' Fortune 500 list is dominated by oil & gas, which is a sector made up of companies that were never located in New York (or Chicago, or Detroit, which have lost just as much ground on the list).
I'm old enough to remember my small-town-West-Texas-raised dad hating all the business trips he had to make to the 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) headquarters of Standard Oil of New Jersey which, of course, changed its name to Exxon. Standard of New Jersey, in New York City, owned Humble Oil in Houston. Standard changed its name to Exxon Corporation. Humble changed to Exxon Company USA.

For our Canadian forumers, Standard of New Jersey was also majority owner of Imperial Oil in Toronto. Imperial kept its name but later moved to Calgary. The old Imperial Oil Building is now a condo at 111 St. Clair Avenue West.

Last edited by bilbao58; Jun 5, 2024 at 11:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions