HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:07 PM

Observations on very recent immigration trends for your City

I am talking about over the past several years.

For New York, it seems mostly Venezuelans.

I am from LA but it is hard to get a good assessment of recent immigration trends, other than the 2020 census data.

For the 2010s new immigrants to LA were mostly Central American and Chinese but much less Mexican. In another thread, someone said a lot of new immigrants to LA were Ukrainians, Russians, and Brazilians.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 12:13 PM

Dayton has been primarily getting Turks, especially Ukrainian Turks because of the war. There's also been a noticeable bump in non-Mexican Hispanics moving into some of the rougher, formerly-primarily-white neighborhoods on the east side of town. A decent number of Bolivians and Salvadorans, as well as Colombians.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 2:53 PM

The South Asian population seems much higher today in NYC compared with 20 years ago, particularly the Bangladeshi immigrants.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:25 PM

It's hard to find good numbers on the South Asian population in the US, since the Census Bureau lumps East Asians and South Asians under the Asian banner and detailed breakdowns are available mostly for the big six nationalities.

But I'm guessing South Asians are about 400,000-500,000 in NYC, and Queens is about 10% South Asian I believe.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:08 AM

I feel like Portland's Asian population is growing substantially, especially our Chinese and Vietnamese populations. Bay Area relocations might be contributing to this too. Genentech moved 300 of their South Bay employees up here right before the pandemic. They're the second biggest tenant in our building now. Easily 2/3 of their employees are Asian. Portland is almost 9% Asian now.

Last edited by pdxtex; Jun 6, 2023 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I feel like Portland's Asian population is growing substantially, especially our Chinese and Vietnamese populations. Bay Area relocations might be contributing to this too. Genentech moved 300 of their South Bay employees up here right before the pandemic. They're the second biggest tenant in our building now. Easily 2/3 of their employees are Asian. Portland is almost 9% Asian now.

Do you think the tech exodus could shift the Bay Area's Asian immigrant population to other cities?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Dayton has been primarily getting Turks, especially Ukrainian Turks because of the war. There's also been a noticeable bump in non-Mexican Hispanics moving into some of the rougher, formerly-primarily-white neighborhoods on the east side of town. A decent number of Bolivians and Salvadorans, as well as Colombians.

Ukranian turks, that was a new one to me. And in Dayton of all places

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post

Crimean Tatars?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
They're a subset of Turkic people called Ahiska/Meskhetian Turks, originally from near Georgia but they were displaced throughout the Soviet Union and are currently semi-stateless. Russians have been targeting and deporting them out of Ukraine since the mid-2010s, and with the current war more of them have been fleeing to the US. Not sure how the pipeline to Dayton started, but we're very grateful to have them (and their incredible Turkish/Soviet/Central Asian cuisine)!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
They're a subset of Turkic people called Ahiska/Meskhetian Turks, originally from near Georgia but they were displaced throughout the Soviet Union and are currently semi-stateless. Russians have been targeting and deporting them out of Ukraine since the mid-2010s, and with the current war more of them have been fleeing to the US. Not sure how the pipeline to Dayton started, but we're very grateful to have them (and their incredible Turkish/Soviet/Central Asian cuisine)!
There's also the Gaguz, who are a group of Christian Turks from the area. Most are in Moldova, but Ukraine has around 30,000.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:10 PM

There's really no evidence of a Bay Area tech exodus. It's basically entirely hype.

There's plenty of evidence of expanding tech employment nationwide, but no evidence it's at the Bay Area's expense.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:22 PM

In Pittsburgh, I'm finally noticing more Latinos. Unsurprisingly they seem to be Central Americans, not Mexicans. I see them all over the city, really; I don't know where they're living in high concentrations.

One of the big surprises of the 2020 Census was a lot of Asian growth in the Greater West End of Pittsburgh, mostly focused on the neighborhoods of Westwood and Oakwood around this dated apartment complex. I've been trying to research this online to figure out who they are, but I've had no real luck. It's possible that this is a secondary migration of the Bhutanese refugees, who originally settled in the southern neighborhood of Carrick and have since suburbanized a bit, but I've found no confirmation other than a South Asian grocery relatively nearby.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I am talking about over the past several years.

Half of Arizona is now from California

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:18 PM

Sure Jan.

Maybe 25 percent of Nevada is from California. MAYBE.

I'd guess it's 15 for Arizona. I bet it's still far more mid western people in Arizona.

There is defintely a uptick of Russians/Europeans moving into hispanic areas in the SFV. Like Van Nuys and stuff.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post

Sure Jan.

Thank you for clarifying because I literally meant half of the AZ population is now from California.

But you have now educated me thank you thank you for correcting my astounding ignorance.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:17 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
It’d be interesting to see the demographics data of the Californians moving to Arizona. It’d wager they tend to lean on the older and whiter side. A significant portion are likely retirees that have cashed out on their CA dream (real estate).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post

Sure Jan.

I'd guess it's 15 for Arizona. I bet it's still far more mid western people in Arizona.

There is defintely a uptick of Russians/Europeans moving into hispanic areas in the SFV. Like Van Nuys and stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It’d be interesting to see the demographics data of the Californians moving to Arizona. It’d wager they tend to lean on the older and whiter side. A significant portion are likely retirees that have cashed out on their CA dream (real estate).
This page I believe has the most recent IRS data:

https://usafacts.org/articles/725000...-they-move-to/

From 2020 to 2021, about 66,000 Californians moved to Arizona, and about 55,000 to Nevada. Both are dwarfed by Texas, which had 105,000 relocations from California. Nevada, however, has a higher percentage of its population overall that are recent California transplants, probably due to its overall lower denominator of lower state population.

I'm not sure about demographics. Older makes sense, but I'm not sure about whiter. Those numbers also miss about ~20% of California residents that don't file tax returns, likely on the poorer side, so the actual numbers are likely higher.

For Phoenix/Arizona on the international migration front, the big shift since I was younger seems to be South/Southeastern Asian immigrants, especially India and the Phillipines. Mexican immigration will obviously be king for the foreseeable future, but those two are ##2 and 4 in recent migration numbers.

See: https://www.azfamily.com/2022/05/29/...rants-phoenix/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:02 PM

The Upshot did a graphic on this back in 2014. At that time, 9% of Arizonans were born in California, versus 38% being born within the state.

The number of midwesterners was indeed greater overall than the number of Californians.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Upshot did a graphic on this back in 2014. At that time, 9% of Arizonans were born in California, versus 38% being born within the state.

The number of midwesterners was indeed greater overall than the number of Californians.
You're wrong!
It's 50 percent now! Some guy on this forum clearly has the evidence for it.

Didn't you know in 8 years
The percentage jumped 41 percent?
Come on dude. It only makes sense.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
This page I believe h5thas the most recent IRS data:

https://usafacts.org/articles/725000...-they-move-to/

From 2020 to 2021, about 66,000 Californians moved to Arizona, and about 55,000 to Nevada. Both are dwarfed by Texas, which had 105,000 relocations from California. Nevada, however, has a higher percentage of its population overall that are recent California transplants, probably due to its overall lower denominator of lower state population.

I'm not sure about demographics. Older makes sense, but I'm not sure about whiter. Those numbers also miss about ~20% of California residents that don't file tax returns, likely on the poorer side, so the actual numbers are likely higher.

For Phoenix/Arizona on the international migration front, the big shift since I was younger seems to be South/Southeastern Asian immigrants, especially India and the Phillipines. Mexican immigration will obviously be king for the foreseeable future, but those two are ##2 and 4 in recent migration numbers.

See: https://www.azfamily.com/2022/05/29/...rants-phoenix/

The percentage of californians in Nevada is much higher than Arizona.
I bet Oregon is 2nd.
Washington 3rd
Arizona 4
Idaho 5
Colorado 6

I don't think any other state has a significant percentage of californians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions