HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:11 AM

Phoenix nostalgia (warning - this thread may make you cry)

WHEN PHOENIX HAD STREETCARS, by Jim McAllister
(source: http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/Jim8413/Page90)

Here is a question to test your knowledge of Phoenix transportation history: Where did the slogan "Ride a Mile, and Smile the While" originate?
This is a tough one and if you are not a long time resident of the Valley, be prepared to say "Huh?" The answer is that it was the slogan of the
Phoenix Street Railway, a company that provided trolley streetcar service in Phoenix from 1887 until 1948. Within the next couple of years,
Phoenix will have a light rail system but any similarities between it and the old Phoenix Street Railway are coincidental.

The first public streetcars in Phoenix were horse drawn and ran between 7th Street and 7th Avenue. By 1893 the system was electrified and
expanded to 8 miles of track. By 1911 there were 17 miles of track within the city and a 12 mile track to Glendale. Fares in Phoenix were 5
cents and a ride to Glendale cost 35 cents one way. By 1925 the streetcar line was in disrepair and the owner, a Mr. Sherman, offered the
dilapidated company to the City of Phoenix. For $20,000 Phoenix was suddenly in the streetcar transportation business.

By 1929, the first indication of the decline of streetcars took place when the city added 2 motorized buses to the streetcar fleet. In October
of that year the Depression ensued and caused a drastic disruption in service. This was due in large part to raised fares and bad service. By
1933, maximum service had returned along with the old 5 cent fare which pulled the company out of a slump.

During 1937, eleven more motorized buses were added to the fleet thus reinforcing the coming doom of the streetcars. By 1940, the decision
was finally made to eliminate the remaining streetcars in favor of motor buses. Because of World War II, the streetcars managed to hold on
until 1948 when in February of that year, the final 7 cars were retired.

Thus ended the streetcar era in Phoenix and many other cities in the U.S. at about the same time. The buses were more flexible in their routes
and cheaper to operate. Today, you can relive trolley history at the Phoenix Trolley Museum at 1218 N. Central. It’s a fun trip back to an era
that will never return.

(above three photos courtesy of Jim McAllister)

1888 military parade in downtown Phoenix:

1905 bird's eye view of downtown Phoenix:

(above two photos courtesy of Arizona State Archives)

(All remaining photos courtesy of: http://www.leifswanson.com/history.htm)

Old Hotel Adams (now destroyed):

Old sahuaro lamp-post by Westward Ho (now destroyed):

Downtown Phoenix in 1920s, looking south:

Uptown Phoenix in late 1950s, looking north:

Central Avenue in the 1940s:

Another view of Central Avenue in the 1940s:

Aerial shot, 1940s:

1947 trolley car shot:

Another 1947 trolley shot:

Central Avenue shot looking north:

A 1920 shot of the Hotel Luhrs (razed in 1960s for parking lot east of Patriot's Square Park today):

A tranquil view of Central Avenue looking north in the 1920s:

Downtown Phoenix in the 1950s:

Downtown Phoenix in the 1940s:

Washington Street around 1905:

1902 Washington Street shot:

Central Avenue in 1904:

1920s downtown Phoenix shot:

Those who do not remember the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

--don

Last edited by Don B.; Oct 30, 2007 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:19 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Don, can you reformat the one large picture? It breaks the table and makes the text up at the top hard to read. If you use Imageshack, itll give you a code for how to make it a thumb nail.

EDIT:

Is this building on the left the current ASU building? It seems so. It looks 300% better white, its current color is absolutely hideous, they ought to repaint it, especially if that off white color was its original paint color.

Last edited by HooverDam; Oct 30, 2007 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:56 AM

I'll add a couple from the book Phoenix: Then and Now

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:29 AM
BANNED

no love for the biltmore?

how bout this where Artisan Lofts are

The Ho

Hotel Adams addition

all from this incredible website
http://www.acmeron.com/index.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:06 AM
Now in North Loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post

Shite, this looks like Hanoi or something exotic.

On another crappy note, since we're all sullen here on this thread, The Willo House has now been forced out of their lease and closed yesterday. Plans to reopen in the Aves are indefinite.

I'm starting to give up on Phoenix because Phoenix has given up on me.

Seriously, I'm looking to get out of here, we can't all wait around forever waiting for this place to get a f'ing scene. We'll be old crotchety men by then.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:19 AM
under the influence...

^^^What's the story with Willo? Why were they forced out?

It's too bad. And it sounds like a spur-of-the-moment decision...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:25 AM
Dbacks baby!

Pardon my ignorance. Can you please explain to me what Willo House is?

EDIT: no one needed to see me cuss. not good

Last edited by tempedude; Oct 31, 2007 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Can you please explain to me what Willo House is?

EDIT: Know what fuck all you stuck up snobs: Im sick of being nice and asking questions and being ignored. You have problems in your life its your problem... not mine and quit bearing all your muther fucking problems on everyone else. This whole stinking site blows of arrogance. Fuck you have a good shity life.
Say what?

--don

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:03 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude
Know what fuck all you stuck up snobs: Im sick of being nice and asking questions and being ignored. You have problems in your life its your problem... not mine and quit bearing all your muther fucking problems on everyone else. This whole stinking site blows of arrogance. Fuck you have a good shity life.
Say what?

--don
Woah! Damn, tempedude, take your meds already!

What, is there some sort of "swear like a sailor" contest between you and John Vandercook?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:30 AM

You're freaking out over nobody answering your question half an hour later? !

If I reacted that way, I would have left this subforum a long time ago, because virtually everything I say in here is ignored.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:31 AM

Phoenix coffee house moving
The Business Journal of Phoenix - by Ty Young Phoenix Business Journal

Popular Phoenix coffee shop Willow House is closing its doors and moving to a new location near 17th Avenue and Van Buren Street, according to the store's MySpace page. On Tuesday, the moving process began as U-Haul trucks were seen carting out book cases, tables and other items.

Willow House was located on the southeast corner of Third Avenue and McDowell Road. The popular local hangout was known for its live music performances, Internet study rooms, and a variety of sandwiches and coffee offerings.

According to the message on its MySpace page, store owners decided to move due to a rent increase. The store officially closed Oct. 28.

"Yes, it is true. The Willow House will be relocating to a new building," a statement on the MySpace site read. "Basically, we have been unable to come to terms with the landlord on an extension of our lease agreement. The current terms offered simply do not make it viable to stay at this location. Essentially, our choices were to either close the Willow House for good, or find another location where we could stay open and remain near the current location."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:33 AM

Let me guess... the existing building will be demolished and replaced by a Starbucks with more parking.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:30 PM
zzzzzzzz

... moving on... Cool photos. I knew Phx had a streetcar, but don't remember ever seeing pics of it. Does anyone have a map of where the lines ran?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:29 PM

Haha, hilarious. Willo is a coffeehouse which would be cool except for the lacklustre coffee. Spent WAY too much of my teenage years there thinking it was cool. They did have a great lunch sandwich menu though when I got older....the veggie sprout sandwich.....mmmmmmm.

I thought the punchcard building was built in the late 60's?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:51 PM

Willo House is an example of the Cotswold Cottage vernacular, and we'd call it kitsch if it wasn't so wonderfully done. I've got my typing fingers in a prayer position hoping it is restored to its former glory. This being Phoenix, we can't assume this will happen.

The McDowell Rd stretch from Central to 7th Avenue is spotty but probably has more potential than any other commercial strip in the city. The pawn shop catercorner to Willo House is an old synagogue that would make a great gallery/restaurant (the problem is adjacent parking). The Max & Lucy building shows that there's definite interest in more upscale uses.

Thanks for the pictures. One minor correction: The Luhrs Hotel was torn down in 1980 during a period when oil-rich Canadians were scouting out downtown sites for high-rise buildings. Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wilderness for complaining about these things, but the Luhrs would fit wonderfully in CityScape if it were still standing. It would offer texture and scale to an otherwise sterile and inhuman complex. At the time, I was writing letters and making phone calls. No one was interested.

Phoenix destroyed itself one demolition permit at a time. One building is not the ballgame, of course. It's the cumulative damage that defines our city, which makes our eventual urban renaissance that much more difficult.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 12:46 AM
this could have been...

Soleri: "Phoenix destroyed itself one demolition permit at a time. One building is not the ballgame, of course. It's the cumulative damage that defines our city, which makes our eventual urban renaissance that much more difficult."

Exactly. and that is why I feel we basically have none left to spare, including the Sun Merc and the 2 smaller buildings (Luhrs Central and Postal Annex) in the Luhrs Block. These old photos do make me sad and wonder what could have been...

Thanks as always, Soleri, for the history and details. i agree with you about
the Willow House and the Luhrs (nee Commercial) Hotel. if i recall correctly, didn't its demolition inspire Terry Goddard to pursue a Historic Preservation ordinance for Phx?

Last edited by NIXPHX77; Nov 3, 2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: didn't quote correctly. sorry.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:06 PM

nice thread don. i had no idea the puchcard building went as far back as the 50's, i thought it was no older than the 70's.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:09 PM

The punchcard is looking mighty short in that picture. I understand it was built in 2 phases - one on top of the other!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:23 PM

I know there was supposed to be a second punchcard building mirroring the first one but this picture does make the building look very short. If restored Willo could make a great mid-priced restaurant.

edit:take a look at Don B.'s new photo thread and it really does look like the punchcard is two buildings built on top of one another.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:37 PM

^it was built in two stages, the first in 1964, the second, I believe, in 1968.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest