HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

Depopulated Arkansas; The Mississippi Delta

I've lived in the state for nearly 4 years now and have never made it down to the delta region and southern Arkansas. I am making a book on Arkansas right now and needed this part of the state for it. Here are some photos I took on my 3 day trip to the delta region. Almost every last town I went through has lost population and every county except for Pulaski, where Little Rock is, and some of the surrounding counties have not lost population but the rest have lost 5-20% of their populations since 2000.

Starting off in Little Rock, I was able to go up on the roof of the tallest building downtown, a place photographers rarely get to go.

1200 year old Toltec Mounds, all thats left of a once great civilization just east of Little Rock.

Keo

England

Stuttgart, a town of 5k, which is quickly dying.

Stuttgart

Crop dusting.

The White River at Clarendon

Bridge over White River that runs right through the middle of the dying town of Clarendon.

Clarendon, a small town along the White River, which has lost most of its population. They were actively tearing down the remaining historic buildings to sell their bricks. Its a pretty sad situation.

Clarendon

This building was recently sold and is soon going to be torn down for the bricks. Probably the last picture thats ever going to be taken of it.

The small town of Marvel just west of Helena along the Mississippi.

Helena, a town much like Cairo, Illinois. Its downtown is largely abandoned, not quite as bad as Cairo but it doesnt seem to be turning for the better anytime soon. Its one of the most historic towns in Arkansas and one of the oldest.

Helena

Helena

Helena

Abandoned school.

Helena

Going south from Helena, the next biggest town you hit is De Witt, its also in pretty bad shape.

The tiny farming community of Gillett.

The southernmost portion of the Arkansas River right before it empties out into the Mississippi.

Dumas

McGehee

Lake Village

A new bridge across the Mississippi, this is probably one of the last photos of the old bridge, they were actively dismantling the bridge while I was there.

Arkansas most south easterly town, Eudora.

Getting out of the delta, you enter the Pinelands, an area of Arkansas that is also quickly depopulating.

Hamburg.

Crossett, a big lumber mill is in this town, the only major industry in the region.

Crosset

Tiny town of Strong, the old commercial buildings are all abandoned.

El Dorado, the only town in southern and south eastern Arkansas that has a lively downtown, but its still lost 4000 people in the past 10 years.

El Dorado

The amazing El Dorado courthouse.

El Dorado

Going north of El Dorado, the next small town is Smackover. This part of the state saw lots of growth in the 1920s due to an oil boom. Thats where El Dorado got all of its money and why they were able to build one of the most incredible courthouses in the state.

Smackover.

The tiny hamlet of Louanne

One of the last historic oil platforms left in the state and the south, probably from the beginning of the oil boom in the 20s.

Camden

Camden

Bearden

Fordyce

Fordyce, just south of Pine Bluff.

Pine Bluff, a large river town that once rivaled Little Rock and Forth Smith in opulence, its now losing population fast and its downtown is almost completely abandoned.

Pine Bluff.

Abandoned hotel.

Pine Bluff

Pine Bluff

Abandoned hotel downtown, its beyond repair as are most of the buildings downtown.

I was able to get to the top of the building, pretty impressive views from up there. Every building you see, except the courthouse, is empty.

Going west of Pine Bluff you come across the small town of Sheridan.

Benton, this town and the county its located in have increased in population, as it is sort of an exurb, maybe suburb, of Little Rock, like Conway, north west of Little Rock.

Benton, the only building in the world built out of Bauxite, a rock mined almost exclusively in the state.

Benton

Last edited by photoLith; Feb 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:04 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

Fascinating and fantastic tour.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:40 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:21 AM
I'm cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
That is exactly what I thought when I viewed the pictures.

Great pictures and truly sad that this happens to towns. Kind of tragic. Grand architecture that is being lost. Really sad.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:12 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Damn! Another great thread.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
I like this much better

every building in that shot is empty? no way.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:13 PM
3rd Coast King

Of all the buildings you showed im the saddest that this one has gone to crap. what a great structure.

My Book

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:37 PM

Great pictures! I like how you included little bits of random history in your pictures, like the Toltec Mounds, that oil platform, and the bauxite building in Benton.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Benton, I believe this town has slightly gained in population, the only one, save Little Rock so far that has gained population.

Fantastic photo thread... thank you su much for showing us these pieces of history (which sadly don't appear to have a bright future ahead).

But you are WAY off about Benton and Saline County. It's growing about as fast as any area of the state. Part of the Little Rock metro, Benton is now at 30,681... a gain of 8,774 residents from the 2000 Census. Same thing for Saline County... it's the fifth most populous county in Arkansas with a total of 107,118 residents. That's WAY up from 83,529 in the 2000 Census. A pop. gain of 24,589 (for Arkansas) is not "slight".

Plus look at the map... Benton and Saline Count are W-E-S-T of Little Rock. They're not in Eastern Arkansas.

Same for Sheridan... it's now at 4,603 in 2010. That's UP from 3,872 in 2000.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/census/

I totally agree with ColDayMan... the tour is fascinating. But portions of it are wholly inaccurate.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:47 PM
furified freestyle

i want to say you're being dramatic with your written descriptions, but the photos sort of back it up. i'm with strange meat -- are ALL those buildings really abandoned? hard to believe.

at any rate, excellent photos and tour.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 4:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

urban activist, I am not wholly incorrect, Benton, Sheridan, are the only places which have increased in population in my tour, except for Little Rock obviously. At the beginning of my tour, I show pictures from Lonoke County, that county has gained in population but the towns I took photos of, which are in the southern section of the county have not grown and or have lost population. Also note, I didnt take any photos in Cleveland county, another county in southern Arkansas that has slightly gained in population. But, save Sheridan, Little Rock, and Benton, every town I have photographed here has lost population, dont discredit my whole thread just because the last two towns I have photographed have gained in population. Overall, eastern and southern Arkansas are in some dire straits.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...1.jpg&newest=1

Giovanni, are you talking about the picture which I took from the top of the abandoned Hotel in Pine Bluff, if so, yes every last building you can see in that photo, save the courthouse, is empty. Now, not every building in downtown Pine Bluff is abandoned or empty, but the ones in that picture sure are.

Last edited by photoLith; Feb 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 4:07 PM

Also curious... why would you consider Benton to be an "exurb"? It's three minutes from the Little Rock city limits, and 12 minutes from downtown. I can see a case for Conway and maybe even Jacksonville, but I think Benton and Bryant (which have grown together btw) would just be considered suburbs.

I get the point of the tour. It's really hugely important to tell the stories of these places. Man of those towns are an endangered species. But some of them are not, and that distinction needs to be made. Sorry to be so aggressive, but Benton is my hometown and birthplace. So I kinda feel obligated to make sure it's represented fairly.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

I dont know, I guess Benton could be considered a suburb of Little Rock, but looking on google Earth, Benton seems to be about the same distance from Little Rock as Conway. Driving from Benton to Little Rock along the highway, its all big box stores and billboards but Benton is clearly separated from Little Rock. From Benton to Little Rock, the suburbs are not continuous and the two cities are separated it would appear, and therefor, thats why I think its more of an exurb than a suburb.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I dont know, I guess Benton could be considered a suburb of Little Rock, but looking on google Earth, Benton seems to be about the same distance from Little Rock as Conway. Driving from Benton to Little Rock along the highway, its all big box stores and billboards but Benton is clearly separated from Little Rock. From Benton to Little Rock, the suburbs are not continuous and the two cities are separated it would appear, and therefor, thats why I think its more of an exurb than a suburb.
In order to have an exurb, you have to have a suburb. What cities would you consider to be suburbs of Little Rock? Is it big enough yet to have true surburbs? Or perhaps you're considering "downtown" to be the full and unequivocal representation of Little Rock? That's worthy especially on SSP, but most Arkansans think of "Little Rock" when they make it to the city limits or even North Little Rock.

Admittedly, I've lived in Houston so long that my metrics have become skewed, but I normally think of "suburb" as the first showing of stuff outside of the city, and 30 mins or less away from downtown proper. I think of "exurb" as 30 min or more away. You can't see it from the freeway, but if you find Highway 5 (Arkansas 5) on Google Earth, look at the strings of neighborhoods on it's northern ends. Little Rock nabes touch Bryant nabes, and Bryant nabes touch Benton nabes.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 4:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

I was looking up info on Pine Bluff, the city in 2000 had 55,000 people, now its lost roughly 8.5% of its population. The crime in Pine Bluff, and lots of the cities I have photographed is terrible. In Helena, in 2004, the mayor put a curfew on the town and it lasted I believe for 2 years due to the high crime rate. I was talking with someone in Pine Bluff, I dont know how factual it was, but he said the city had the second highest crime rate in the nation.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:08 PM

Fascinating & tragic tour. With over 50,000 people, Pine Bluff is pretty big and cannot be completely dead. Is it a case of everyone moving to a newer section nearby? More of a shift than a death?

Love that bauxite house in Benton. I don't think I have seen a house like that before.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Fascinating & tragic tour. With over 50,000 people, Pine Bluff is pretty big and cannot be completely dead. Is it a case of everyone moving to a newer section nearby? More of a shift than a death?

Love that bauxite house in Benton. I don't think I have seen a house like that before.
The downtown in Pine Bluff is pretty much completely dead, there were a couple law offices near the courthouse but the rest of main street was pretty much shut down. It was quite depressing. Giving a rough estimate, Id say 90% of the buildings in downtown Pine Bluff were empty and or falling apart like that once grand hotel.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Houston is friggen huge, Im from Houston too so my perception on what is and what isnt a suburb may be skewed also. Little Rock is obviously a hell of a lot smaller. What I consider a suburb of a city is anything thats continuously connected to the rest of the city, and development that radiates out from the center of the city. Kingwood and The Woodlands are obviously suburbs of Houston because theres pretty much continuous development from them to downtown. In Little Rock, theres really no suburbs, its all Little Rock and North Little Rock. I guess the closest thing Id consider a suburb of Little Rock is Maumelle. But Im sure everyone definition of a suburb varies. But Conway, theres not continous development radiating out from Little Rock to it, so its an exurb. Benton does have a thin little strip of continuous strip malls and cul de sac developments that follows 30 but the development is only along the highway, it doesnt radiate out from the city. So, I ted to think of Benton as an exurb also. But thats just me.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Great photos! I love these tours of nearly-abandoned towns. It's so sad to think of how many used to live there and their history is being slowly wiped out.

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Great photos! I love these tours of nearly-abandoned towns. It's so sad to think of how many used to live there and their history is being slowly wiped out.
What's sad is how much investment could have gone into these areas... especially Helena. This was the original home of the King Biscuit Time radio show, and a format for countless Delta Blues artists. It's right on the Arkansas river and 70 miles away from Memphis. It's the site of an important Civil War battle, and was THE major inland port for the state of Arkansas before the 20th century. The history in the walls of some of Helena's structures is staggering. We don't know what national treasures we're losing as they tear that city down.

http://www.arkansas.com/city-listing...a-West+Helena/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos