HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:07 PM
User Registered

2022 London Election

Starting a thread for this. Election is on October 24, 2022.

The results of the provincial election in June may have an impact on platforms/issues discussed during the local campaigns.

By 2023 the makeup of our local and provincial governments could look very different. Conversely, it could also be pretty similar to what we have now. Up to us to decide.

-----

What are the main issues going to be? I am thinking

BRT / transit. Will the current projects continue as planned? Would be very costly to cancel at this point. Will the routes defeated by the last council be approved? Any other changes to the plan at large?

Wonderland Widening. Project was canned due to environmental concerns but I am sure a lot of politicians will campaign on this to win votes. Drivers caught in congestion along this key route may vote for candidates in favor of expansion.

Property taxes. Classic campaign issue. Do we want to increase spending, stay as-is or cut?

Environment. Cycle lanes? Beautification? Climate emergency? What is London going to do?

Downtown. Dundas construction + pandemic have really, really hurt this area's growth and reputation. The homeless / druggie problem is much worse than it was around the 2018 election. Do we keep trying to pump money in the core to keep it alive or on life support, or do we start to pull the plug on some programs?

Housing. We need much more supply but we can't keep sprawling out with suburbs. Lots of local opposition to high rise projects means we have trouble infilling / building up. Population growth is probably going to continue even as the prices go up. No easy solutions.

I'm sure there are other major topics that I have left out and others that will creep up leading up to and during the campaign.

Will Holder try running for mayor again? What about Paul Cheng?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:39 PM

I don't count out Paul Paolatto making another run. He is running for the PC in London West in the provincial election, and I think he has next to no chance of knocking off Peggy Sattler.

Might also see a couple current councillors throw their hat in that ring, but I think they might wait to see what Ed does. Josh Morgan and Jesse Helmer are natural mayor candidates of the current crop, to me anyway. Mo Salih would have had wide support had he stayed in London. I hope Virginia Ridley attempt a comeback and knocks off that slimy Paul Van Meerbergen. Anna Hopkins is my councillor and anytime I watch council online, she sounds drunk, would love to see a viable opponent for her.

Wonder if we will see any of the old guard try to make comebacks. Bill Armstrong finally stopped suing Shawn Lewis, but I don't count him out from trying again. Maybe if his wife loses her seat provincially, she might run. Bud Polhill should have taken the last time around as a hint, but he loved being on council and might try once more, even though he's about 80 years old now. Of course, what fun would an election be if Steven Orser didn't run lol.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
what fun would an election be if Steven Orser didn't run lol.
Well... you predicted the future! Lol.

Stephen Orser filed his nomination papers today and is seeking to be elected in Ward 4. Helmer is not seeking re-election (who beat Orser twice), so I hope that there is a strong enough candidate in that ward.

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Aug 8, 2022 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post

Stephen Orser filed his nomination papers today and is seeking to be elected in Ward 4. Helmer is not seeking re-election (who beat Orser twice), so I hope that there is a strong enough candidate in that ward.
That's hilarious. I think he's going to win too, barring someone else with a profile entering the race. Tariq Khan looks like a great councilor, he's a CEO, has several City appointments and a Masters Degree. However, not sure all that and that fact he lives on Stoneybrook in ward 5 is going to play well in blue collar ward 4. Which reminds me, did I miss where Maureen Cassidy said she wasn't running? If she isn't running, I wonder why Khan isn't running there?

Still 10 more days to register, I'm surprised another old timer hasn't decided to run again. Bill Armstrong in Ward 2. He was the longest serving councilor before his defeat and he kept an almost Trumpian amount of complaints going regarding Stephen Lewis' victory. So far, Lewis is unopposed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Tariq Khan looks like a great councilor, he's a CEO, has several City appointments and a Masters Degree. However, not sure all that and that fact he lives on Stoneybrook in ward 5 is going to play well in blue collar ward 4. Which reminds me, did I miss where Maureen Cassidy said she wasn't running? If she isn't running, I wonder why Khan isn't running there?
Tariq Khan actually withdrew his nomination today. It is definitely strange that he initially applied to run in ward 4 as Stoneybrook is not near the ward boundaries. I wonder if he will re-apply for ward 5.

The LFP article from today (with regards to Orser running) mentions that Cassidy is the only current councillor who is still undecided. Van Meerbergen also hasn't applied yet, but confirmed today to LFP that he still intends to run. IIRC, last election, he waited until the very last day to file. All other current councillors already filed or declared that they will not run in the election, except for Morgan, of course, who is running for mayor.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:58 AM

Council is kind of boring now, we can use a little Orser to spice things up lol.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Oh God not that tub of lard again.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:

You rang? Very disappointed that Helmer's not running but out of determination to prevent Orser returning to the horseshoe, I've throne my hat in the ring. My website is www.fisherforward4.ca and it's a little sparse on platform at the moment as we're putting finishing touches on the wording, but the more detailed bits should be up by end-of-day tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any.

I'm posting here to see if any of you like-minded folk would help out my campaign in any way. Ideally, I'd love to have you volunteer and help canvass (or volunteer any other talents you can share). If that doesn't work for you, every financial contribution goes a long way. And if you're in the area (Ward 4) and would like a sign, please let me know as well!

Thank you in advance!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:19 AM
Sanity merchant

fuck orser

also, https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7c373d8...0-9a2a0a280eda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Very disappointed that Helmer's not running but out of determination to prevent Orser returning to the horseshoe, I've throne my hat in the ring.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

oh god not these idiot turkeys again

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:56 PM
User Registered

Well with the latest census data- how London manages its growth is going to be a major election issue.

The 2030 master plans that were approved was based on population projections made in the 2010s. We're now growing at roughly double those figures. We may need a complete rewrite of the plans soon, or expedite, enhance and/or expand the number of projects to keep up.

This election may be one of London's most important ever... easily the most important in the 21st century for sure. We're not a small town anymore. The sooner we realize that and decide what kind of city we want to become, the better.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:11 PM

I'm going to guess at least 4 major candidates for council will make getting rid of those master plans part of their campaign.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:31 PM

I think there will be 3 main issues: BRT, affordable housing, and the drug and resulting vacancy problem in the core.

With the new population numbers showing London growing MUCH faster than forecast even 5years ago, I think you will find the BRT debate flare up again with a real sense of urgency. I think you will find more support city-wide for BRT and far less opposition because most of the opposition to the project {and certainly the loudest} was from Richmond Row merchants. Any new plans for a new west/Oxford and Western/Masonville lines will now not include Richmond but most certainly Wharncliff which is actually the street I thought it should have been in the first place.

Where is Jane Bigelow when you need her?

Last edited by ssiguy; Feb 12, 2022 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 10:29 PM

I thought that it should have gone up Wharncliffe from Riverside originally, but I think they will still be focused on Richmond, tracks be damned. If they had focused on Western Rd, they could have been involved in making the new CPR bridge wider, and would never have had to cowtow to the university about road and bridge work on campus. But given all the work already done north of Oxford, I don't think they will look that way this time either. Plus I'm assuming Richmond needs this underground infrastructure work done that BRT is paying for on the other routes.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:19 PM

Mayor Ed Holder announced today that he will not be seeking reelection in October.

Edit: The LFP article mentions that it is likely that the current Deputy Mayor (and Ward 7 councillor) Josh Morgan will run for Mayor.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ek-re-election

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:35 PM

Also, the following incumbent councillors have already filed their papers and are running in the next election: Shawn Lewis (Ward 2), Steve Lehman (Ward 8), Anna Hopkins (Ward 9), Elizabeth Peloza (Ward 12), John Fyfe-Millar (Ward 13, replaced Kayabaga), and Steve Hillier (Ward 14).

These incumbent councillors have already confirmed to LFP that they are intending on seeking reelection, but have not officially filed their papers yet: Michael van Holst (Ward 1), Mariam Hamou (Ward 6, replaced Squire), Paul Van Meerbergen (Ward 10) and as I mentioned in my post above, Josh Morgan (Ward 7)

Jesse Helmer (Ward 4) and Mo Salih (Ward 3) have already announced that they won’t seek re-election.

Maureen Cassidy (Ward 5) and Stephen Turner (Ward 11) have not announced their plans yet.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ol-board-races

Last edited by CanadianTalk; May 24, 2022 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 10:21 PM

I think Jesse Helmer throws his hat in the mayor's race after his wife loses in the provincial election next week. I also expect Paul Paolatto to run again after he loses next week as well.

Miriam Hamou did apparently file her papers this afternoon, per Craig Needles.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:35 PM
User Registered

Just waiting for this guy to enter the ring now

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I don't like van meerkat.
Remember when his crony got charged for being a low life?

Candidate and Van Meerbergen volunteer charged by OPP in election smear campaign

He's almost as bad as Stephen Orser (remember that loudmouthed tub of goo?)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Helmer seems like a very progressive guy. I would vote for him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy