HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:16 PM

193-199 College Avenue - 6s (Appealed)

Proposal for a 6 story apartment building with 43 units.

https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...s/OZ-8693.aspx

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:43 PM

Architect page for this proposed 6 story.

https://www.zeddarchitecture.com/zed...college-street

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:51 AM

City planning page was updated today to say that this application has been appealed.

Though I'm confused because York (the developer) first submitted this zoning application almost 8 years ago, and it never made it to Council for a vote, and they appealed the application to the OLT now in 2024.......

For reference, College Ave is a small street that runs west of Richmond, north of Oxford and south of Grosvenor.

Planning application page: https://london.ca/business-developme...college-avenue

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:29 PM

The almost useless OLT website for this appeal. Whoever designed this website should go back and re-read Website Design for Dummies.

https://jus-olt-prod.powerappsportal...d-002248b1e705

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:08 PM

Ok I'm a little bit confused... a public meeting for this proposed 6s building is scheduled on May 22nd at Council's planning committee meeting.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...e%20Avenue.pdf

Yet this application has already been appealed by York a few months ago. My guess is that city planning staff and York came to an agreement and it'd be faster to get this application approved through Council this month rather than jump through all the hoops at the OLT which can take months (or even longer than a year).

Either way, I think this is a nice infill in a great location.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:24 PM

Its ideal for the area and of course the local Nimbys were against it. OLT process can often take 18 plus months unless the appeal is dropped or in the best case the OLT rejects the appeal from the get go. The OLT needs to be much more proactive in terms of rejecting junk appeals in order to reduce their backlog and workload.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Its ideal for the area and of course the local Nimbys were against it. .....
I'm probably naive for saying this, but I'd be surprised to see any public opposition to this. Mount Hope LTC is right across the street and has a minimum height of 6 stories (one wing has a height of 7 stories), plus there's lots of other similar sized buildings in the same block.

But then again, some folks seem to find reasons to oppose anything

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:44 PM

City planning staff is recommending that Council not support the zoning changes that would allow for this building. Since the developer appealed this to the OLT, Council does not have the ability to grant zoning changes for this property at this time, but they can express support (or not).

This will be discussed at Council's planning committee on May 22nd, then at full Council on June 4th.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...20%28CM%29.pdf

The main rationale for staff's recommendation is that this proposal does not fit within several of their plans and policies. The report above goes into very long specifics (I didn't read it all lol) but I think it can be summarized into the following:
  • This area already has an official area policy, and these take precedence over any other plan... the policy states that "Lands within the St. George/Grosvenor Neighbourhood will remain a predominantly low density, low-rise residential area despite continual redevelopment pressure for apartment buildings, expansions to existing hospitals, and office conversions"
  • Since this application was originally filed a few months before the province approved The London Plan in 2016, the city is required to use the official plan of the day which was the 1989 plan. That plan identifies this site as "Low Density Residential"
  • Even though The London Plan can't be used for this one, the report also states that this application is not in conformity of that either mainly because College Avenue is classified as a "Neighbourhood Street", which is the lowest possible classification a street can get (for context: same classification as many of the less busy courts, crescents, etc we see in subdivisions), and buildings fronting onto these can only have a maximum height of 3 stories... but once again The London Plan can't be used in this application

Funny enough, I thought for sure that this application would be recommended to proceed since there are several buildings of similar height in the area, and it is close to the university, but I was wrong.

Will be interesting to hear the Council discussion, but either way it does not really matter as the OLT will have the final say.

Last edited by CanadianTalk; May 18, 2024 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:37 PM

What a joke. The so called neighbourhood street that serves the LTC home with truck deliveries every day and service vehicles as well as access to the lower level parking lot.

Yeah this is the lowest level of vehicle traffic street in the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ridiculous.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
Will be interesting to hear the Council discussion, but either way it does not really matter as the OLT will have the final say.
Actually... Council's vote could significantly matter here. According to the OLT website, there was a hearing held yesterday on May 17th, and it was adjourned to June 10th. As I stated in my previous post, Council will vote on this on June 4th.

In some of the recent applications where the developer appealed to the OLT, the City and the developer have usually been able to reach a settlement which avoids the long OLT hearings, so I think a similar thing may occur here if Council support this infill, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
I'm probably naive for saying this, but I'd be surprised to see any public opposition to this. Mount Hope LTC is right across the street and has a minimum height of 6 stories (one wing has a height of 7 stories), plus there's lots of other similar sized buildings in the same block...
I was wrong. The council agenda has almost 20 letters of opposition after the planning committee voted 4-1 to endorse the rezoning last week.

Goes to council for a vote tomorrow.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...d&lang=English

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:19 PM

Council voted 9-5 to endorse the zoning changes for this building.

Next up is the OLT hearing on June 10th.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 12:44 PM

Parties agree to schedule a merit hearing in Nov.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlt/do...nlii62429.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates