HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 10:27 PM

Zidell One Gantry Plaza | xx' | xx floors | Dead

"Zidell's planning a 500,000-square-foot office building, with a grocery, for South Waterfront: http://bizj.us/1pmddw " ~ @PBJRealEstate on Twitter

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 10:33 PM

Exciting! Or it would be if we haven't seen building after building before not get built.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:09 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I love the concept. I wish something like that was being built downtown. The way the narrow sides look like they're at a tilt makes quite a statement. I look forward to seeing more renderings.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:38 AM

It probably won't be that glassy and the glass probably won't look like that. Ref: Yard.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
It probably won't be that glassy and the glass probably won't look like that. Ref: Yard.
Depends on the type of glass they use, but the rendering looks more accurate to what it would look like in real life. The Yard used very dynamic angles to make the building look better than it did.

With these renderings, I am really excited about this building, but more than that, I am excited what this will mean for the urban fabric of that area.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:38 AM

Quote:
GBD don't seem to have had any problems executing their design for the Broadway Tower.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:40 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Keep in mind, those renderings were by Skylab. The fantasy sounding name of their firm matches the fantasy style renderings they produce. The Yard shows their inability to turn design into reality.

Thankfully, this rendering isn't by Skylab.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Keep in mind, those renderings were by Skylab. The fantasy sounding name of their firm matches the fantasy style renderings they produce. The Yard shows their inability to turn design into reality.

Good point.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

This Skylab bashing is getting old. If you believe that every architectural rendering is a 100% accurate representation of the final product you're living in a dream world...

... wait, Trump is president, we ARE in a #@%!-ing dream world... somebody wake me up!

I give Skylab kudo's for thinking outside the box - literally - in their approach to architecture in general. The Yard's skin is a major disappointment but its overall design form - particularly at street level is terrific. I would hate to see them lose out on projects because of the bad rap they've received, while we give a firm with the resources and reputation of ZGF a free pass on exactly the same issue with the NV (IMO).

I agree that this building is looking quite interesting re the initial rendering. Since it's called the Gantry it makes obvious sense for the architect to draw inspiration from that structure's form, which they've done. Be fun to see how the design evolves over time. Does anyone know if this is part of a architectural master plan for Zidell Yards, or just a one-off?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:25 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
I would hate to see them lose out on projects because of the bad rap they've received
On this, we will have to agree to disagree.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 8:43 PM

I hope extreme caution is exercised when breaking ground because South Waterfront (with the exception of the OHSU Projects) has not fully regained capital investment/momentum from the 07-08 recession. Only a couple of small projects has been built since with all the other remaining sites still vacant. If this project falters, Zidell could very well thwart this entire Yards project because I can't imagine them absorbing a huge financial hit due to soft/unpredictable markets. This would be another huge set back to the District. Timing is everything.

Last edited by Natural; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 10:47 PM

Uh oh.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:00 PM

Everything's on hold.
Quote:
Zidell family suspends development of South Waterfront land
Updated 3:47 PM; Posted 3:47 PM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Negotiations between Portland officials and the Zidell family over plans for the family's South Waterfront land appear to have collapsed, for now torpedoing a highly anticipated 33-acre development...
(Continues)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Everything's on hold.

(Continues)
I suspect there is a lot more to this story. Zidell has tossed out a ton of proposals over the years yet only The Emory got built. Wonder if they simply got cold feet with the potential of a recession on the horizon and so much office and apartment inventory in the pipeline. The Gantry building could have been built on the existing street grid with little city involvement so I'm not buying the whole story here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland