HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 11:44 AM

[Halifax] 5495 Spring Garden Road | ? m | 4 fl | Completed

Signs of new life on Spring Garden
Office building first project under HRM by Design
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Tue, Sep 21 - 6:42 AM
Halifax developer Danny Chedrawe is planning to build a new $10-million office building on Spring Garden Road.

The four-storey structure is slated for the northeast corner of the Birmingham Street intersection.

"We have a national tenant lined up and we’re very excited," Chedrawe, the president of Westwood Developments Ltd., said Monday.

"It’s probably the first major project on Spring Garden Road in over 20 years."

The project will be built in the space now occupied by Sock it to Ya and Furs & Leathers by Seymour.

The office building will be "one of the very first projects under HRM by Design," Chedrawe said.

"Everybody’s been going to the suburbs — to Bayers Lake and Burnside and Dartmouth Crossing — so now we’re trying to put more focus on the downtown."

The ground floor of the new building will house "a national retailer, which will be announced in the next few months," he said.

Meanwhile, Halifax is poised to put out a request for proposals for what it sees as a key downtown property on Clyde Street beside Queen Street. It is the easternmost of two city-owned parking lots on Clyde.

"The city owns the Clyde Street lots and we’re going to develop them and use the proceeds to pay for the new library," Andy Fillmore, the municipality’s manager of urban design, said in a recent interview.

"It falls beautifully into this Capital Ideas proposal that we took to council in the summertime that says to council, use your public lands to do development which creates economic activity . . . inspires private sector investment . . . and fills in vacant lots that are an eyesore."

The municipality’s other Clyde Street parking lot will be up for grabs later, followed by the site of the former Halifax Infirmary on Queen Street, which lies south of the land destined to house the new $55-million library.

"In the (request for proposals), it invites proposals for different ownership-lease models, and we’re going to choose whichever one is the most advantageous for the city," Fillmore said. "Probably it will be a sale."

There is no schedule for when the other two publicly owned sites will be offered to developers, he said.

"The other two sites will follow once we get this one rolling. One approach is that if we get one project going on this one site, it will actually increase the value of the other sites. So we don’t want to do them all at once. It’s shrewd to get one project rolling and then that will make the other sites more desirable to build on and therefore increase our return."

Fillmore said he would like to see "haute-designed, mixed-use development" on the Clyde Street property.

"We’re looking for a little bit of modernity in the city."

The ground floor will be primarily commercial retail, Fillmore said.

"The Clyde Street frontage can get away from straight-on retail and has an option to go to live/work. Those are almost like town-home units, where you can live and run your business in the same place."

Heights on the project are restricted to 27.6 metres.

"You can get quite a bit of development on that site," Fillmore said.

"There are some good massing rules that help it to respect the transition to Schmidtville, to the south, which is a two- and three-storey historic neighbourhood."

The project, which will hold hundreds of residential units, will be set back 3.6 metres from the sidewalk on Clyde, with a double row of trees on the sidewalk.

"So it’s really going to make sort of like a pedestrian boulevard between Victoria Park and the new park that will get built to the south of the library site," Fillmore said.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:56 PM
hi

That's good news! It's not huge, but four storeys should fill out that space nicely and line up to Cornwallis House next door. Hopefully the corner is treated well to make for a better transition from SGR on to Birmingham.

I also hope this sparks the flow of all the rest of the potential developments being considered for the area.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:07 PM

This building will be quite attractive I think. The birmingham and SG exposures will be more or less solid glass for all 4 floors. Believe their 'national tenant' is TD Bank. Very exciting news to have some new life on Spring Garden.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
This building will be quite attractive I think. The birmingham and SG exposures will be more or less solid glass for all 4 floors. Believe their 'national tenant' is TD Bank. Very exciting news to have some new life on Spring Garden.
Have you seen the design? Can you post any images?

This sounds great. Not huge, but that site doesn't need anything bigger then this. And with TD moving maybe we will see some action down the street on the block between Brunswick and Queen.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Highrises are nice, but it is very important to have a mix of new buildings. I wish there were more small building projects like this one. I hope we hear soon about the other development around South Park Street, and that it includes the DQ building.

I would imagine that there are already some general plans for the Queen-Brunswick stretch that will move forward once this is finished. That is going to be an amazing corner once the library goes in.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Highrises are nice, but it is very important to have a mix of new buildings. I wish there were more small building projects like this one. I hope we hear soon about the other development around South Park Street, and that it includes the DQ building.

I would imagine that there are already some general plans for the Queen-Brunswick stretch that will move forward once this is finished. That is going to be an amazing corner once the library goes in.
I think many of us would love to see the city grow up; but we forget that in places like SGR (which are more pedestrian oriented) that small buildings like this have a huge impact in making the street feel vibrant.

I watched this video that a master's student did for his thesis on Ann Arbour, Michigan and how to make the downtown more vibrant. It's quite good and gives a lot of ideas of how to keep places like this interesting and active with simple things like making sure offices don't locate on the ground floor so that windows can remain active interfaces between pedestrians and inside the store (glazing is not always great).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Have you seen the design? Can you post any images?

This sounds great. Not huge, but that site doesn't need anything bigger then this. And with TD moving maybe we will see some action down the street on the block between Brunswick and Queen.
Have seen a couple of sketched elevations, but none that I can post. The architect is doing up the CAD model now, so should see something more concrete from them soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 8:29 PM

This sounds like a good proposal. A nice four storey building should blend in well with its neighbour which also rises up four stories before stepping back.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 10:13 PM

This sounds like a nice project for this corner, though I hope their tenant is something more exciting and with more of a draw than TD.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 12:03 AM
we built this city

Excellent, another ugly property will be replaced!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Excellent, another ugly property will be replaced!
I wonder if it would be as of right?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:37 AM

Great news! But I hope you're wrong about TD. A bank isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "retail". This is a pretty strong shopping block with Mills, Lulu Lemon, American Apparel, Le Chateau, etc. It would be great if that trend could continue with a store that sells actual stuff.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 4:53 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I wonder if it would be as of right?
HRM by Design... once again, not a tall proposal and therefore not a real test of the system.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 9:48 PM

Sounds like a great project that will hopefully proceed quickly. I also agree - disappointing if TD is the national tenant. Would be nice to have some retail that will be a strong draw, and increase retail demand to encourage the redevelopment of the Clyde Street lots, as well as along Barrington. A lot of small, unopposed projects could go a long way for downtown.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&layer...,0.220757&z=12

If TD does move I see a lot of potential for this site.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&layer...,0.220757&z=12

If TD does move I see a lot of potential for this site.
There are already plans in the works. I have a friend who works at Second Cup and he says he has heard from his higher ups that they have been looking at the new layout in the new building for the block whenever it gets built. I don't know really anything about it.
This rendering was found randomly a few months ago.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 5:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It would really be a shame to lose the old stone building on the corner. Even the brick rowhouses are kind of rare in Halifax. There are only so many of those and when they're gone they're gone - it would be great to see relocation projects for more of these properties.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There are already plans in the works. I have a friend who works at Second Cup and he says he has heard from his higher ups that they have been looking at the new layout in the new building for the block whenever it gets built. I don't know really anything about it.
This rendering was found randomly a few months ago.
Is this the plan for the second cup buildilng? The orientation seems about right?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep. The foreground street is Queen Street, looking toward the south (on the right end of the photo). The cross street is Doyle. The cylindrical feature of the building is on the SGR/Queen corner.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
Honored Member

I think that I see the Maritime Centre in the background. The new office building rendering looks quite good. The article describes it as a 4 storey building but the rendering looks like it has 6 storeys.

Are the buildings that would have to be demolished from the early 1900's (I can only faintly remember the area - I remember that there were buildings on that side of Spring Garden Road with interesting exteriors).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth