HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for this fall?
The Incumbent: Anne Marie de Cicco-Best 0 0%
The Challenger: Joe Fontana 11 64.71%
Neither: Mayor McCheese 2 11.76%
I won't vote 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vote for Mayor

So, who will you vote for in this fall's mayoral election?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:22 PM
User Registered

Is the guy with the bowtie running again?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post

Is the guy with the bowtie running again?
Yes, he is. He insists he is a serious candidate, but I can't see that.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Unions are lining up behind Fontana. AM deC-B can explain it all away, of course.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fontana's campaigning on a municipal tax freeze. After years of increases that outpaced inflation (Mayor: "we need the best and the brightest!" Really? This is London Ontario not London England), this is sure to be a vote getter.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

so its Fontana 4, AMdeC-B 0.

^drunkpatio.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 1:53 PM

Now the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is considering pulling the liquor license for Friday Knight Lights.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../14773821.html

If the license is pulled, I nominate MolsonExport, Bongo Drum Guy, and myself to take the axe to the patio.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jul 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I am with you!!! I know Bongo Drum Guy would give a thumbs up.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fontana opens ground campaign
By ALEX WEBER The London Free Press, August 30, 2010

Quote:
London mayoral candidate Joe Fontana has kicked his campaign up a notch.

Fontana knocked on doors and chatted with neighbours after opening his Wellington Rd. campaign office on the weekend, launching his ground campaign for the Oct. 25 civic election.

About 30 supporters gathered at the campaign office at 100 Wellington Rd., just south of the Thames River, for the headquarters’ opening Saturday morning. A handful of volunteers stayed afterward to help Fontana greet neighbours in the area.

“I want to be as open and accessible as possible,” Fontana said of his campaign.

Several candidates are vying for the mayor’s seat, though most observers say Fontana is the only serious challenger for Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best, who is seeking a fourth term.

Fontana, a former MP and city politician, lost to DeCicco-Best in the 2006 election by 22,000 votes.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/civicele.../15190006.html

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Fontana opens ground campaign
Personally, I'd like to see a change in the mayor's chair. I think JF would likely make a decent, if not good mayor. I have been less than impressed with his campaign however. He seems to be hammering on a lot of issues that are:

1) Non-issues: I recall that he went on a rant a while ago about the mayor's office being renovated, and a gate being installed at the lobby area to prevent anyone from simply walking in and bulldozing right into the mayor's office. This is a common-sense security feature that is absolutely necessary. Joe called it a "barrier to public accessibility to the office of the mayor" and accused A-M DB of elitism. Absolute nonsense. I've seen what happens when the mayor's office does not have such features: crackpots burst in, overpower the receptionist, and chaos ensues.

2) Not as bad as he makes them out to be: Taxes. London has a quite competitive tax/water/sewer rates amongst Ontario cities. That's simply a fact. Could it be better? Sure, it could be the best in the province, but the rates are not the disaster he crows on about - they are in the top third. The municipal price index runs typically at 4% to 6% per year as of late - much higher than the consumer price index. Any tax increase less than the MPI means that the municipality is actually taking a hit of the difference between the actual tax increase and the MPI for that year. So for example, if tax increases have been in the 3% range for the past 5 years, and the MPI has averaged 5% for each of those years, the municipality has effectively taken a 10% cut in revenue over that same 5 year period. Those savings have been found in internal efficiencies. Joe talks about 0% tax increases. In four years that will add up to somewhere between 15% and 20% in internal savings to be found. When asked where that kind of money will be found, he never specifies. That's because it does not exist without drastically cutting services. Considering that half of the City budget is social services and fire/police services... well... good luck!

3) Disingenuous about how much authority he has to change things: Joe is running for mayor in in an Ontario municipality. He talks as he is running for mayor in an American municipality however. In the 'States, the office of mayor has a degree of executive authority. That simply does not exist in Ontario. The mayor is essentially a "councilor at large" who represents the City as a whole and is chairperson of city council. The mayor however doesn't even have a vote on council unless to break a tie! Sure, the mayor can try to set a tone, suggest a path, etc., but if council does not agree the mayor is powerless to stop the will of council as a whole. For Joe to promise that he will "freeze taxes" is simply disingenuous. Council sets the tax rate, and the mayor is but a part of council.

Now, what JF is doing right:

1) Leadership: A-M DB is an OK mayor, as Ontario mayors typically go. However she is not lighting any sparks of inspiration or excitement in anyone. As I said above, the mayor's office is limited in authority, however the position can be used to spark interest & excitement, spin up a synergy, aggressively represent the City elsewhere, and attract business. This is where I feel that JF could accelerate the City's fortunes.

2) The local economy: Again, new blood with a LOT of long-term ties to other branches or government and industry could be of benefit in improving the local economy. This is especially true in the transition to a new economy that is not a heavily reliant on manufacturing. A part of this strategy needs to be emphasizing becoming a centre of excellence in at least 1 or 2 differing sectors of the new economy. Is the City doing this sort of thing now? Yes it is, but the pace could be picked up greatly.

3) Representation with senior levels of government. JF obviously has connections with senior levels of government. This could be very valuable in ensuring that London stays the regional centre it needs to continue being into the future.

The first three items that I mentioned are simply election-fever bluster and makes Joe look silly to those who understand how things work. The last three however actually hold some actual promise. A-M DB has really said little about a future vision other than "steady as she goes", which may be acceptable in a functional sort of way, but is hardly inspirational. As such, I'll be supporting JF.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 12:55 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^good points.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
London carpenters are throwing their support behind Anne Marie DeCicco-Best, the city's incumbent mayor.

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters, Joiners and Allied Workers Local 1946 announced Thursday morning its endorsement of DeCicco-Best over her rivals, including one-time federal labour minister Joe Fontana.

In a statement, the local's leader expressed his support for the three-term mayor.

"Anne Marie has made it clear to us that economic prosperity and job creation are priorities for her," Kevin Hoy wrote in the statement.

"That's of great importance to our members and we look forward to working closely with the mayor for many years to come so that together, we can ensure that London has a bright future."
London Free Press, 09/16/10
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../15370696.html

Anyone surprised?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I've got a bad feeling that we are in for another four or more years of "we want the best and the brightest", and "it goes to show you how hard we all work down at city hall", and "we want to keep Western's grads in London...we want the best and the brightest"

Jesus, is this guy drunk? Terrible video. http://www.joefontanaformayor.ca/ Is this the best and brightest of the challengers? sheeeeeiiiiiitttt!!! And the fvcking London courthouse (aka the world's ugliest building) as a backdrop.

Halloween election. How appropriate.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I wonder how many votes that vile fright-supremecist Tomaszhole Winnicki (who is running for mayor on a platform of shit) will get.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Just returned from advance voting at UWO.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Jesus, is this guy drunk? Terrible video. http://www.joefontanaformayor.ca/ Is this the best and brightest of the challengers? sheeeeeiiiiiitttt!!! And the fvcking London courthouse (aka the world's ugliest building) as a backdrop.
Agreed. Bad web site aesthetically (and that DOES make a difference I'm afraid - a candidate has to SELL themselves). The video breaks about a dozen golden rules in how one makes something like this look professional and polished. If this video were a school project, it would flunk a first year political science student from Western, or a first year broadcast arts student from Fanshawe. Mayor Tommy Shanks from Melonville had better re-election videos.

I also read his newsletter, which his website actually calls a "tabloid" (!!!). Do they not realize the powerfully negative connotation that the word tabloid has with people in terms of credibility of content? Inside, there really isn't much new that he hasn't said before. What is new is a singular focus on a Rob Ford-style populist-conservative strategy of trying to exploit the emotions of perceived general taxpayer fatigue. A not-so subtle hint of this hard focus is politicization, with a pic of Joe with local right-wing talk radio personality Chapman and a local investment house owner who sponsors the radio station, with the caption "Move London in the Right Direction" (capital "R"). A Liberal no more I guess when it isn't any longer convenient. So much for principals.

Lastly, the substance of his "Taxacation" platform still is contradictory and without much substance. It is just a whole lot of jumping up and down and arm waving from what I can see.

I would like to have seen a change of leadership here - and I still think JF would make a decent if not good mayor. With a very unprofessional and lackluster campaign such as this however, I'm not sure that he will (or for that matter deserves) to win.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 6:07 PM

I cast my advance ballot at Fanshawe this morning. I reside in Ward 9 so I had my choice of Gina Barber, Dale Henderson, and Jim Horne for councillor. I ended up voting for Horne.

Gina Barber is anti-business and is best known to me as an opponent of Tim Hortons locating in Byron. I have no confidence in her to do anything to help London attract businesses. No vote there.

Dale Henderson had a good pro-business platform but he really lost me on his rant against improving London Transit. He claimed only a "tiny minority" of Londoners use London Transit. Clearly he is out of touch with Londoners. Worst of all, I e-mailed him a month ago asking him about this issue, citing my experiences as a Western and Fanshawe student with London Transit; I would've considered voting for him if he even bothered to acknowledge my email in the month since then.

Horne had a vague platform on his website but at least there weren't any points I didn't like.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:18 PM
User Registered

Gina Barber... gah!

Sorry but I just don't like what her policies are, even though they appear to be so innocent.

Still undecided on who to vote for Mayor. I do want a change (don't care if it is for better or worse) and I'm thinking the only one with a legitimate chance is Fontana. However I'm skeptical of his policies like a tax freeze. You just can't promise something like that these days and expect us to believe it.
-De Cicco has had a long run, in fact the longest in our city's history. It's time to put someone else there.

For my ward (I live in 10) I am decided. As much as GreatTallNorth2 will disagree, I'm voting for Van Meerbergen. Him and I actually know each other and I agree with many (not all) of his policies. The other guy running in our ward seems like a nice guy but I think he lacks what it takes to be a councilor, to be short and to the point.

As for all the other ballots (like school director, etc) I have absolutely no idea. I will probably randomly select someone on those sheets because I don't know, don't care, and don't want to know or care.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am in Ward 7. I did not vote for the incumbent. Nor did I vote for the incumbent for mayor. I voted for Matt Brown (Ward 7 Candidate) and for Joe Fontana.

I voted for change. AM's had a very long run. London needs change. I am less than happy with the alternative, but at least there is a possible alternative.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 10:57 PM

I just moved here a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure if I'm eligible to vote (also, I voted in the Windsor advance poll last week).

Last election I voted for Fontana but now he just seems to bug me whenever I see him on tv. Besides, doesn't he not even live in London?? I don't like Anne-Marie either. I live in Ward 13 and I do like the incumbent Judy Bryant though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy