HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Champagne in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 1:42 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Irish Famine Monument [Macdonald Gardens Park] | Proposed

Neighbourhood group opposes Irish famine monument in Lowertown park
'We're not asking for a large monstrosity,' proponents say

Guy Quenneville · CBC News
Posted: May 13, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

A group of Irish Ottawans wants to install a monument in a downtown park to honour people who fled the 19th-century Irish famine and died after arriving in Ottawa.

But a neighbourhood group says it's not the right place for the tribute.

The Global Irish Famine Way - Ottawa Committee is proposing a roughly one-metre-tall monument that would, like a series of similar installations in Ireland and beyond, be crowned by a pair of bronzed antique shoes symbolizing the migrants who made the arduous journey overseas to Canada.

More than 100,000 Irish immigrants fled after destructive mould ruined potato crops across the country. They crossed to St. John's, N.L., on ships over the Atlantic, often in crowded and unsanitary conditions.

The committee wants to place the monument in the northwest corner of Macdonald Gardens Park in Lowertown. According to group co-ordinator Michael McBane, some of the Irish immigrants who came to Ottawa in the 1840s — the vast majority of them Roman Catholics — remain buried there.

City councillors are set to hear more about the pitch on Tuesday. But the Lowertown Community Association already has concerns.

"We just don't think [the monument committee] has done their homework for this particular location," said Allen Brown, the co-chair of the association's heritage committee.

To be clear, the association isn't opposed to the idea of the monument itself.

The installation would honour not only the immigrants but their descendants who helped shape the community then known as Bytown.

It would also nod to the Indigenous groups who lent the newcomers a helping hand, according to the motion Bay Coun. Theresa Kavanagh will bring to the built heritage committee Tuesday morning.

Kavanagh said it's an honour to back the "understated" tribute, adding that the monument committee is offering to cover all costs.

But in a recent letter to Mayor Mark Sutcliffe and Rideau-Vanier Coun. Stéphanie Plante, the association said a monument in the park recognizing a specific group is "problematic."

Four denominations, including Roman Catholics, used the grounds as cemeteries starting in 1845 until the graveyards fell into disrepair in the late 1870s, according to the plaque at the park's Tormey Street entrance.

Between that time and 1909, "a number of" remains were moved to newer cemeteries.

The city began creating a park (designed by noted Canadian architect Frederick G. Todd) at the site in 1912 and covered over the remaining graves, according to the plaque.

Brown contends that most of the Roman Catholic bodies were moved out.

Tombstones were removed, names were recorded and "none of those names were Irish [or] French-Canadian," he said.

It's possible the bodies were initially buried at a different Roman Catholic cemetery at the corner of Rideau and Cumberland streets, he added.

The association is also concerned the monument proposal runs "roughshod" over an ongoing plan for the future of the park, Brown said.

"No one called me," he said.

McBane wrote a book released two years ago about Mother Élisabeth Bruyère, the nun who founded Ottawa's first hospital, and Irish Famine refugees in the year 1847.

He said his research unearthed accounts of nuns burying numerous immigrants' bodies that summer under Bruyère's authority on the park grounds, which were the only consecrated Roman Catholic burial grounds at the time.

When the city asked families in 1909 to move their loved ones' remains, not all of them could afford to, McBane said.

The list of names cited by Brown referred only to headstones, he added, and not unmarked refugee graves.

"We're not asking for a large monstrosity of a monument," McBane said, adding that they respect the park's origins. "An 1847 famine grave adds to the heritage of the park."

McBane said the group has a firm lined up to do ground-penetrating radar work but is waiting on a city permit.

Brown still isn't convinced.

"It might show some bodies there," he said. "Nothing would indicate whether they're Irish bodies."

The association has suggested other sites for the monument it says are "more accessible," including near the head of the Rideau Canal locks where Irish newcomers would have first set foot in Ottawa.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.7201763

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 1:52 PM

Wow, people oppose literally anything these days.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This will be on table at tomorrow's Built Heritage Committee meeting:

https://www.baywardbulletin.ca/bronze-shoes-memorial/

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This story is more than just about Ottawa:

Quote:
Bronze shoes brought to St. John's to mark beginning of Irish famine heritage trail
About 30 statues will honour famine refugees — and those who helped — around the world

Malone Mullin · CBC News
Posted: May 09, 2024 4:43 PM EDT | Last Updated: May 10

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...-way-1.7198660

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]

The association is also concerned the monument proposal runs "roughshod" over an ongoing plan for the future of the park, Brown said.

"No one called me," he said.
It's a stone with a pair of shoes on it. Some people need to get a grip on reality. Or at least look up the definition of the term "roughshod", especially since there's no public information about this ongoing plan that I can find.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The association has suggested other sites for the monument it says are "more accessible," including near the head of the Rideau Canal locks where Irish newcomers would have first set foot in Ottawa.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.7201763
I actually would rather see this little monument near the Canal somewhere than in some overgrown dog park I will never visit.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I actually would rather see this little monument near the Canal somewhere than in some overgrown dog park I will never visit.
The Canal already has the Celtic cross to honour the victims of the construction. Not a bad thing to have something outside of the core, near the unmarked graves (though we have plenty of those elsewhere in the city).

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:58 PM

Churchyard of St Patrick's or St Brigid's?

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:32 PM
Busy Beaver

On either end of the Corktown Bridge? Not in the same timeline as the famine but neither is the building of the Canal in general. Has higher visibility, an Irish place name connection and, you know, footbridge ... shoes

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
It won't be dramatic but anything that brings a few more people to this park can only help.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It won't be dramatic but anything that brings a few more people to this park can only help.
Doesn't strike me as much of an attraction. More like something you stumble upon and reflect on while exploring the city and learning its history.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Churchyard of St Patrick's or St Brigid's?
Did Notre-Dame and St. Brigid ever have a churchyard?

Quote:
Doesn't strike me as much of an attraction. More like something you stumble upon and reflect on while exploring the city and learning its history.
This small monument would be part of the "Famine Way" project, the idea creating destination points for a commemorative journey. It wouldn't cause any dramatic increase in visits to the park, but I would expect a few people making it a point to visit all of these throughout Canada.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:00 PM

I'm still really puzzled about the opposition to this one. Lowertown Community Association says it wasn't consulted, but apparently they were. Extensively. Do they doubt the historical accuracy? Cause it seems pretty legit. I'm flabbergasted. It's such a tiny monument. Inoffensive in look, size and message.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:47 PM

Committee approved it yesterday. Plante had some weird questions.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm still really puzzled about the opposition to this one. Lowertown Community Association says it wasn't consulted, but apparently they were. Extensively. Do they doubt the historical accuracy? Cause it seems pretty legit. I'm flabbergasted. It's such a tiny monument. Inoffensive in look, size and message.
I’m telling you, this type of stuff is a hobby for them. They enjoy it. It gets their blood pumping and the adrenaline flowing.

The sooner we as a city realize that, the sooner we stop taking them seriously and allowing them to get in the way of projects like this one and also much, much more important ones.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I’m telling you, this type of stuff is a hobby for them. They enjoy it. It gets their blood pumping and the adrenaline flowing.

The sooner we as a city realize that, the sooner we stop taking them seriously and allowing them to get in the way of projects like this one and also much, much more important ones.
Like the boy crying wolf. They're losing all credibility. People, associations, unions, politicians and Political Parties, should pick their battles, focusing on legitimate concerns, otherwise they lose all credibility.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa