HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 5:08 PM

[Dartmouth] Canal East (42 Canal) | ? M | 30 & 14 FL | Approved

New proposal for Dartmouth Cove by W.M. Fares. This is the site diagonal-opposite from the recently approved 15 Canal Street and same block as Moffatt's Pharmacy Development. Site will front onto Canal Street, Maitland Street, and Patuo'qn Street. Detailed renderings aren't required until permitting stage. The proposal is to designate the lands CEN-2 as per Dartmouth Cove FGN requirements. There are massing, site plans and other details available. The site plans shows three buildings (30-7-7 floors) with ground floor commercial and ~390 residential units.

Case 24650 Details

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 5:29 PM

Awesome. That's gonna be quite a dense little area in the future.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:53 PM

Well that'll be an end of an era when the old Value Village / Dartmouth Market gets torn down.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:42 PM

It's nice to see the Canal Street area finally get some love. It's been kind of a wasteland there for many years. A friend actually lived there in the late 1960s/early '70s, but I don't recall when all the houses were torn down to put up a parking lot (my apologies to Joni Mitchell)...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Well that'll be an end of an era when the old Value Village / Dartmouth Market gets torn down.
Surely you meant the old Value Village/Dartmouth Market/NSLC/Dominion Store.

Youngsters,,,no sense of history...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post

I got my Nova Scotia Liquor ID card in that store. Does anybody remember those?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Of course. Got mine at the store by the Macdonald Bridge. A group of us got the boot from the Old Mill (another bit of Dartmouth history) because we didn't have what the waiter considered appropriate IDs (we were all legitimately of age). We walked to the liquor store, got our IDs made in about 10 minutes flat, walked back to the tavern and sat down. Waiter told us to get out again ("I thought I told you guys to get lost!") and we all slapped our shiny new IDs down on the table. To his credit, he laughed.

I also remember buying hot dogs at the Dominion which preceded the NSLC on Canal Street.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Me too in that same store! "NOVA SOCTIA" to be precise

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Me too in that same store! "NOVA SOCTIA" to be precise
That's right! I had forgotten that. A printing error, but rather than waste all these cards with the typo, they just used them up. Somehow, after a few 'wobbly pops', it looked okay again...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Mine said Nova Soctia. I understood it to be a security feature.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Of course. Got mine at the store by the Macdonald Bridge. A group of us got the boot from the Old Mill (another bit of Dartmouth history) because we didn't have what the waiter considered appropriate IDs (we were all legitimately of age). We walked to the liquor store, got our IDs made in about 10 minutes flat, walked back to the tavern and sat down. Waiter told us to get out again ("I thought I told you guys to get lost!") and we all slapped our shiny new IDs down on the table. To his credit, he laughed.

I also remember buying hot dogs at the Dominion which preceded the NSLC on Canal Street.
I got mine as soon as I turned 19, because I still had a 'baby face' and couldn't get in anywhere. Meanwhile, my good friend who was almost a year younger than me could get in without being ID'ed because he could grow a beard. I suggested that he should get his ID as soon as he could, but he stubbornly laughed at me "I don't need that, they never even ask". Sure enough, we were going to the Moon to celebrate his birthday, but he couldn't get in because they decided to ID him this one time! Had a great time ribbing him over that one...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Actually, now that you mention it, I do remember it being an NSLC when I was a wee lad. However, I’m not quite ancient enough to have known it as a Dominion.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
I suspect someone who was quick on their feet came up with that as a cover for their oversight.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
The longlasting typo on Nova Scotia's Iiquor I.D. cards

Quote:
The typo in Nova Scotia's name was noticed early on, but provincial liquor commission officials decided it wasn't worth spending the money to fix it — for six years.

As CBC reported in July of 1988, the province had been erroneously listed as Nova "Soctia" on identification cards for liquor purchases for years.

But why bother fixing what wasn't broken — or spelled correctly — even if that meant using the misspelled name of the province on the cards for much of the 1980s?

"We decided to carry on and use the cards that we had available until they're used up and save taxpayers money and so on," said Cal Craig of the Nova Scotia Liquor Commission, when explaining the rationale for still using the flawed cards six years after they were printed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
I loved those Dominion hot dogs!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect someone who was quick on their feet came up with that as a cover for their oversight.
Yeah, it got me denied entry to a bar in Toronto when I was 19. Bouncer said it must be fake.

Come to think of it, maybe it was me running my mouth, "How the Hell would you know how NS is spelled?!" that got me barred.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it got me denied entry to a bar in Toronto when I was 19. Bouncer said it must be fake.

Come to think of it, maybe it was me running my mouth, "How the Hell would you know how NS is spelled?!" that got me barred.
Using that line on a Toronto bouncer would have made being barred totally worth it. How could you not say it?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 4:51 PM

This project is going forward to public hearing in the near future. Should be noted that renderings and site plans are not available. The proposed development agreement is only relating to the zoning and LUB requirements. The high-rise portion of this site has no height limit and a F.A.R. of 6.75.

PLANAPP 2023-00453 Development Agreement

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 8:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
In BC once somebody asked me for a piece of photo ID to go with my credit card. I gave them my NS license (I believe it had correct spelling on it) and they said that they could only accept Canadian ID cards.

Not as bad as the tourists who allegedly come here, see Vancouver Island in the distance, and ask if it's Japan.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 5:19 PM

My memory is failing me. Weren't a number of developments in the Canal St. area on hold due to environmental concerns (remediation, etc.)? Or was that another part of Canal St.?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth