HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 7:20 AM
REAL Kiwi!

CAD Software

I am considering an upgrade or new CAD software purchase.
I do primarily high end residential architecture and currently use an older version of AutoCad (14) with an architectural overlay (Softdesk). It works just fine and is highly customized for what I do, thats why I havent changed as of yet, but Im feeling like I need to at this point.

Just wondering what softwares other designers/architects are using. There are several products made specifically for architecture and even residential; Archicad, Softplan, TurboCad, Cadsoft. Then there is the 800 lb gorilla AutoCad, which has their architecture specific versions & Revit.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 7:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

if you're used to R14, i would stick to AutoCAD. the UI pretty much looks the same but R14 *.dwg files are no longer compatible with current versions.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 8:03 AM
them bones

Let me guess, you actually 'type' out all your commands still? These kids and their icon laden AutoCAD!

I use 2006 for my business and it works just fine. It's essentially the same platform as R14, but with a whole bunch of really nice tricks built in (no more need for things like the 'fence' command...just drag across the screen). Apparently the 2009 version even has layer ghosting, something I've long wanted (stemming from Form-Z use a dozen years ago).

I use Revit sparingly, but am working into it slowly. I'm finding more and more clients (even at the high end custom level) like the fly-throughs. Unfortunately, they want to see it at full detail, which is not what Revit is for by any means. Still no substitute for a good hand rendering as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, so if you've uber customized your R14, just upgrade to something at least 2005 or newer to get all the really useful bells and whistles.

I save all my files down to 2002 and haven't had any problems with that.

Hope that helps!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 5:15 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
if you're used to R14, i would stick to AutoCAD. the UI pretty much looks the same but R14 *.dwg files are no longer compatible with current versions.
Thanks, in the back of my mind I always kind of knew it would have to be AutoCad, but Im often intrigued by some of these all in one packages.
I use dwg gateway, its a converter I havent run into any files I couldnt open...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 5:25 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Let me guess, you actually 'type' out all your commands still? These kids and their icon laden AutoCAD!

I use 2006 for my business and it works just fine. It's essentially the same platform as R14, but with a whole bunch of really nice tricks built in (no more need for things like the 'fence' command...just drag across the screen). Apparently the 2009 version even has layer ghosting, something I've long wanted (stemming from Form-Z use a dozen years ago).

I use Revit sparingly, but am working into it slowly. I'm finding more and more clients (even at the high end custom level) like the fly-throughs. Unfortunately, they want to see it at full detail, which is not what Revit is for by any means. Still no substitute for a good hand rendering as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, so if you've uber customized your R14, just upgrade to something at least 2005 or newer to get all the really useful bells and whistles.

I save all my files down to 2002 and haven't had any problems with that.

Hope that helps!

I dont type as many as you might imagine, but I do type quite a bit. That just reminds me of a guy I used to work with who used to always joke about going back to R10, and typing all commands, how superior it was and how much control you had....
I think you are right though, I'll just have to invest in some training as well, Ive just mainly been aprehensive about my layering and plan matrix system, as well as custom commands. I use a one file format, all drawings are in my layer matrix and plan routine that changes plans. No 'x' refs. Print what you see.
Im interested in 3d work which Ive done in R14, but its so time intensive. Id like to see what Revit can do. Ive been working on my own now for 5-6 years so I dont have alot of contact with other designers, so I dont know how user friendly doing 3d work has become. So, what is layer ghosting?
I typically do hand renderings and sketches for clients as well, I dont think anything beats that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture