HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Observation Tower

Toronto's CN Tower, Vancouver's Harbour Centre, Calgary's..Calgary Tower...

I realize that super-talls are not Haligonian approved, but I'm still curious as to people's ideas.

If you could place an observation tower anywhere in the HRM... where would this be (and why)?

Another thing on which I'd love feedback: if Halifax's tallest proposal, the Skye Towers, was some sort of public observation project instead of residential mixed-used/floating balls, would this make the height more justified in your eyes?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 4:11 AM

The original plans for Salter included a pretty cool observation deck, but for some reason people were totally outraged at it , not sure why? I personaly loved it, not that it ever woulda' been built, think it may have been another weak "blocked view" agument by anti everything types...... None the less , I would love to see some iconic like tower/observation built in HRM, either Dartmout or Halifax water front.

I think having a deck on skye would be neat too... but would prefer a : space needle , calgary tower or something way out like an eiffel tower kinda icon , but that's just me .

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 5:53 AM

I'm kind of hoping for a restaurant at the top of the 33-storey King's Wharf tower. But it'll probably be a really expensive penthouse.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
The original plans for Salter included a pretty cool observation deck, but for some reason people were totally outraged at it , not sure why?
The two most common refrains I recall were the ever-popular "We're not Toronto!" and, of course, that crowd-pleaser, "It's TOO TALL!!!!"

There was also some outrage at it looking too much like a lighthouse and hence being a cliche...

I agree, we need something like this.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The two most common refrains I recall were the ever-popular "We're not Toronto!" and, of course, that crowd-pleaser, "It's TOO TALL!!!!"

There was also some outrage at it looking too much like a lighthouse and hence being a cliche...

I agree, we need something like this.
If I recall, the developer suggested the Salter observation tower was supposed to reference a ship's mast and crow's nest.

I think the developer only included it so he had something convenient to axe when the inevitable reaction from the vocal public occurred.

I have long thought an observation tower inside the citadel would be pretty cool. Definitely a proposal that would make the Heritage Trust's heads explode. I see an observation tower as a tourist-focused thing... not part of the everyday life of the city. Same with the citadel, so in my mind, they're perfect partners.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I have long thought an observation tower inside the citadel would be pretty cool. Definitely a proposal that would make the Heritage Trust's heads explode. I see an observation tower as a tourist-focused thing... not part of the everyday life of the city. Same with the citadel, so in my mind, they're perfect partners.
I hope that you are being facetious - this would absolutely destroy the historical integrity of the Halifax Citadel NHP (a bit like planting a dense forest on the slopes of the hill, or putting a ferris wheel and roller coaster on the parade grounds).

There is nothing inherently wrong with an observation tower on the waterfront. A tower such as this should have a narrow profile therefore shouldn't offend the STV wingnuts too much. Also, it's generally a given that a tower would be a tall structure therefore I don't think anyone would mind if it was the equivalent of 40-50 stories tall.

I would love a revolving restaurant at the top. The observation deck would also be quite popular. Just think, you could look at the fog from above!!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:41 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I'm kind of hoping for a restaurant at the top of the 33-storey King's Wharf tower. But it'll probably be a really expensive penthouse.
Not sure what the final plans are, but I do definitely remember that the developer for the Fenwick re-do mentioned wanting to put a restaurant up on the top of it, which I think should be pretty cool!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 5:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Salter observation tower did seem like a sacrificial lamb. Often you see the developer present the 27 storey condo and then very quickly present the 21 storey "compromise". I'm sure they know that if the 21 storey tower were shown first then people would demand 14 storeys.

There should be height bonuses when a developer can demonstrate that they're adding amenities for the public, and this principle is built into HbD. A public observation deck seems to qualify -- and I think it is more useful than having small-scale public art installations everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

I think a revolving restaurant (within reason to the other similar building heights but tall enough to view the peninsula) would be a superb idea and fit in rather nicely to Hali. Towers can sometimes make a skyline look tacky or literally stick out badly but I think it would be great to be up high enough if the design was legit plus Halifax has signature architecture for a coastal city so it'd blend in nicely. One second you're viewing the harbour/Dartmouth, than the Eastern Passage, than the Sackvilles and hills to the north...good call on the fog Moncton haha I always thought that about the CN Tower, free above the fog and low-lying cloud!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:26 AM
BANNED

I am not at all in favour of a tall observation tower in Halifax's downtown. I find the height of the Skye towers more appropriate--as well as its naval concept. If the Skye proporsal was a pair of observation towers, with restaurants, perhaps retail, maybe even elements of a mueseum...

Yes, an observation tower, or towers in this case, would be extremely short as far as these kind of public attractions go...but this is Halifax. Short observation towers would fit.

If we desire much taller, for which observation towers often strive, with a much broader view of the entire peninsula--the harbour's entire magnitude--the northern hills--the western forests--Dartmouth--Mainland Halifax--Bedford--Sackvile--an observation tower in the north end of the peninsula would capture this. Being so far from the downtown, you may go as tall as you wish, though I'm not suggesting we try to supersede the CN Tower.

I'm excited about the developments on Young Street and about how this wasteland of an area is getting more municipal attention. Let the developments pour in! Let this area be the new tall Halifax!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues