HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:46 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Sunburn in November 4: West End, Isla De Roatan, Honduras

After Belize came Roatan. It's an English-speaking island off the coast of Honduras, known for its coral reefs... which we did not get to see because the waves were too rough for the glass-bottomed boat. Instead, we went to the research institute and got a short lecture.

Video Link

West End: First World Problems in the Third World

What to say about Roatan? Well, firstly, I have to admit that I had a "moment" upon arriving in West End. The moment involved raising my voice and yelling at my boyfriend, asking what the fuck was wrong with these people with their yoga and their smoothies when just up the hill there were children splashing in the shit water and people living in shacks built from whatever garbage they could scavenge.

I had this moment because Roatan has become a popular retirement destination and is home to a thriving community of American expatriates who have built up West End into a bustling little tourist hive. The benefit of this is that if they stay in West End, they don't have to fret about the conditions on the rest of the island. Our tour van had to pass through the rest of the island to get to West End however, and I got my first front-row seat view of what it is no longer politically correct to call the Third Word -- even though that was what everyone on the island called it too.

The contrast was shocking and I make no apologies for my shock, nor for having my moment, even though people were staring as they hurried past in the rain. I didn't and still do not care, and I'm only proud that I didn't burst into tears, although I came close. It is wrong -- on every level -- to have people living like they do on most of the rest of Roatan while there in West End in your little colony, you've built a world where the most awful thing that can go wrong in your day is not getting enough guava in your smoothie. That was what did it, by the way. Seeing a sign for some place offering yoga and organic smoothies. I saw that, thought of the children playing in sewage elsewhere on the island, snapped, and started yelling.

And a word on the rain. Cruise season on Roatan coincides with the rainy season. Thanks to the rain we really couldn't get out and take many pictures, and by that point I was too disgusted to want to. We bought a t-shirt from some ninny expatriate from Iowa, sat at a bar and ate some chips while we waited for the van to come again.

This was the first stop our tour van made. We didn't buy anything here and thought it a shame, but short of wearing cameos and attempting to start a new trend, there was really just no reason for us to shop here.

Meanwhile, over on the other end of the island from West End, the cruise line has built their own little oasis to keep the tourists from mingling with the locals and getting as upset and pissed off as I got. The oasis is called Mahogany Bay and features its own beach.

I held a tarantula.

I also held an iguana. In addition, here you can see why -- when someone asks what I did on my vacation -- my answer is "gained weight." You can also see the horrifying results of allowing my beard to grow out while on the cruise. Gentlemen, let this be a lesson to you. You don't want to look like me, do you?

No, I didn't think so.

There was a German cruise ship in port along with us.

Newly-planted mangroves.

There are two shipwrecks that you see when the cruise ships dock. While interesting, they don't really inspire all that much confidence in the whole process.

Follow me around the Caribbean!

Florida
Cozumel
Belize
Cayman Islands
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Nov 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:42 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Looks like fun...I would have been temped to find someone to take me to that first shipwreck.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 PM

The beard is a good look. Keep it up.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:02 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

I like it. All I know of Roatan is that it's a mecca of sorts for girls to go screw their scuba guides.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:30 PM

Nice pictures. Too bad that it rained the entire time.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:00 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Looks like fun...I would have been temped to find someone to take me to that first shipwreck.
I would have been the kind to poke around in there myself. Even though I grew up 200+ miles from the ocean, shipwrecks have always been endlessly fascinating to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groninger View Post
The beard is a good look. Keep it up.
Very kind of you... I usually wear a beard except for a year's stretch when I wore muttonchops because it was the "in" facial hair trend here where I live. This year's trend is the "Amish beard," but I don't have the patience to maintain that. At any rate, I almost always have a beard, but I don't let it get quite as fluffy as it got on the cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I like it. All I know of Roatan is that it's a mecca of sorts for girls to go screw their scuba guides.
And who could blame them? Hondurans are poor, but they're certainly not ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Too bad that it rained the entire time.
It was, but as it was explained to me, cruise ship season coincides with the Roatan rainy season. When it's nice there, it's also nice in North America, and so far fewer people are going on cruises.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 6:19 PM

I don't think I've seen photos of Honduras on here before, interesting set.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I don't think I've seen photos of Honduras on here before, interesting set.
Thanks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos