HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:12 PM

Bedford Hwy Roundabout

Interesting rumours in The Coast: http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...edford-highway .

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 7:48 PM

I'm not necessairily against a roundabout here but why have they proposed one at an intersection that is working fine and not at a poorly designed intersection like Rocky Lake Dr?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:01 AM

Probably for the same reason they were thinking about one at Novalea/Duffus/Devonshire.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:07 PM

This roundabout fetish that city staff seem to have developed needs to be exorcised ASAP. Putting one on the Bedford Highway is completely ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:28 PM

An HRM document with design options (and drawings of the roundabout) is here:
http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanni...hCoveBrief.pdf

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:35 PM
Honored Member

This has nothing to do with the roundabout but I like the development itself.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 1:24 PM

i live at the top of kearney lake road @ dunbrack. i personally really like the proposals that i have seen here, especially the roundabout. just in terms of traffic flow, roundabouts are the most efficent ways to handle traffic.

the only potential problem that i see is the skating rink that currently sits at the bottem of kearney lake. they will have alot of opposition to this developement if they cant find away to incoroprate that into the site.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 1:27 PM

ok i just looked again, and i noticed that in option 2, the church is there with what looks like a little park next to it. however the roundabout is not there.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyedm View Post
i live at the top of kearney lake road @ dunbrack. i personally really like the proposals that i have seen here, especially the roundabout. just in terms of traffic flow, roundabouts are the most efficent ways to handle traffic.

the only potential problem that i see is the skating rink that currently sits at the bottem of kearney lake. they will have alot of opposition to this developement if they cant find away to incoroprate that into the site.
Roundabouts do not belong in such a mismatched situation --- the high volume of Bedford Hwy traffic is being impeded by a roundabout for low volumes from Kearney Lake and this new proposal. Makes no sense.

I was fairly unimpressed with any of the 3 options. The first 2 appear to retain the existing tunnel under the railbed for access. I guess all the heavy equipment and materials for the development is coming and going by barge. The faux-village idea seems fake to me. And if you are going to build a waterfront trail from the end of Bedford basin to somewhere near Ceres and the rail yard as is seemingly suggested, you do not need to further compromise the Bedford Hwy by shoehorning in bike lanes as well. Let them use the trail.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Roundabouts do not belong in such a mismatched situation --- the high volume of Bedford Hwy traffic is being impeded by a roundabout for low volumes from Kearney Lake and this new proposal. Makes no sense.
Kearney Lake actually has a considerable amount of traffic. The left-turn lane always has a line-up stretching up the hill by the time they get a green.

It might only be a three-way intersection but I think anything to slow traffic coming down the hill can only help. Besides a single-lane roundabout could reduce the need for double lanes on both roads.

Kearney Lake could see a multi-directional left turn lane installed or a reversing lane installed. Bedford Highway to the south could remove the centre lane in favour for a median with left-turn lanes at intersections or use the space for bike lanes. To the north the removal of the right-turn lane could make space for either bike lane extensions, a short median, or left-turn lanes for adjacent properties.

Quote:
I was fairly unimpressed with any of the 3 options. The first 2 appear to retain the existing tunnel under the railbed for access. I guess all the heavy equipment and materials for the development is coming and going by barge. The faux-village idea seems fake to me. And if you are going to build a waterfront trail from the end of Bedford basin to somewhere near Ceres and the rail yard as is seemingly suggested, you do not need to further compromise the Bedford Hwy by shoehorning in bike lanes as well. Let them use the trail.
You do realize there is going to be long gaps between the entrances/exits for bicycles and because of the need for non-at-grade crossing all of them will involve steep climbs?

With or without an adjacent path the Bedford Highway needs bicycle lanes directly on the street right-of-way to accomodate local traffic needs.

Besides the current boardwalk in Bedford gets crowded in the summer-time with walkers/joggers so its rare to even see cyclists on the boardwalk. Most cyclists will use Waterfront Dr/Shore Dr/Bedford Hwy to access amenities like Mill Cove Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
You do realize there is going to be long gaps between the entrances/exits for bicycles and because of the need for non-at-grade crossing all of them will involve steep climbs?
Too bad. When cyclists start to pay for their bike lanes then they can have their say. Until then, given our expanding trail system here in metro, when that is an option that is where they belong, not on major roadways. Hell, today I saw one idiot biking on the 118 -- I hope he lived to talk about it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Too bad. When cyclists start to pay for their bike lanes then they can have their say. Until then, given our expanding trail system here in metro, when that is an option that is where they belong, not on major roadways. Hell, today I saw one idiot biking on the 118 -- I hope he lived to talk about it.
Yah so do'nt forget that cyclists pay taxes as well and most also own cars so we are paying for the road improvements too. And well a cycling path requires a lot less maintenance than a main throughfare so we are saving the government money.

With the exception of the MacKay Bridge and the expressways cyclists have the same rights as vehicles on the road so we could ride down the centre of the Bedford Highway if we wanted to and there is nothing motorists could do. So isn't it better that the taxes we pay give us our own lanes so we don't piss off you motorists?

My point still stands. Even with a adjacent path the Bedford Highway will be full of cyclists and having bicycle lanes is the only safe manner for the two to coexist. Neither cars nor cyclists are going to magically disappear off of the highway not matter what infastructure is built. And no offense drivers but you could learn a lot about safety if you hop on a bike for a day or two.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:59 AM

I like the look of this proposal. And I have nothing against the roundabout. My only question when reading the article today in the coast was 'why the hell is united gulf proposing another project?!' They are already having trouble with all the ones they have on the go right now.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
With the exception of the MacKay Bridge and the expressways cyclists have the same rights as vehicles on the road so we could ride down the centre of the Bedford Highway if we wanted to and there is nothing motorists could do.
Exactly. This is a good point. The problem is if you try this here, some moron will probably try and run you off the road. I've been living away from halifax for the last number of years, but having returned, I'm happy to see a lot more bikes on the road. Dalhousie's now has a bike rental (i think it is rental) shop to provide easy access to bikes for students - things like this make a big difference.

But I'm also shocked at how some people bike - moving from roadway, to sidewalk, to crosswalk in a way that only confuses and angers drivers (I'm talking downtown). I saw a guy the other day biking on the roadway, but moving against traffic on a narrow road. I see too many biking like they are trying to reconquer the city. A little civility on both sides is needed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:30 AM

What the Bedford Highway needs is a 3rd lane. That would help reduce the traffic, instead it was replaced with a bicycle lane that is barely used. I drive that Highway everyday and I see about 3-4 bicycles that use it. What a waste.

As for the idea of a roundabout, definitely no. I agree with KeithP. It would just cause more slowdowns in traffic. So there's no need for one.

That's my 2 cents.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
What the Bedford Highway needs is a 3rd lane. That would help reduce the traffic, instead it was replaced with a bicycle lane that is barely used. I drive that Highway everyday and I see about 3-4 bicycles that use it. What a waste.

As for the idea of a roundabout, definitely no. I agree with KeithP. It would just cause more slowdowns in traffic. So there's no need for one.

That's my 2 cents.
While I agree the Bfd Hwy needs a third lane for left-turning vehicles your choice of words is odd. The vast majority of the road never had a third-lane to begin with so they didn't "replace" it though maybe in one or two stretches there might not be room for the lane now in the right-of-way (they can always purchase land from streetfront lots).

I also drive the road daily but as both a motorist and a cyclist I disagree completely on the role of cycling on the highway. On nice days like today there are dozens of cyclists out at a time using the road and given that it is a direct flat route it will be well used no matter how many mtorists try to run us off the road. If there was no bicycle lanes we'd simply ride down the middle of the road and since motorists would hate that even more I think we can all agree that giving bicycles their own lane is for the benefit of everyone.

As for the roundabout I once again disagree with your statement. The Bedford Highway is not meant to be a high-speed throughfare. If you want to go fast drive up a hill and go in town through the Bi-Hi. Considering the intersection is at the bottom of a hill going around a bend in the road a roundabout could do wonders for slowing down traffic and getting people to stop speeding through the intersection and onto Halifax or Bedford (I get tailgated for going 55-60 through there right now).

Besides the island in the centre of the roundabout would make an excellent spot for some local artwork (of anything but a lighthouse).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Besides the island in the centre of the roundabout would make an excellent spot for some local artwork (of anything but a lighthouse).
It's a major artery, not an art gallery. That idea in the proposal is among the most absurd I have ever read.

The Bedford Hwy was supposed to be 4 lanes at one point, and the moron councillor for the area at the time derailed it. Hence you have that silly section north of Bayview with 2 lanes inbound, one lane outbound.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 4:48 PM

Quote:
It's a major artery, not an art gallery. That idea in the proposal is among the most absurd I have ever read.

The Bedford Hwy was supposed to be 4 lanes at one point, and the moron councillor for the area at the time derailed it. Hence you have that silly section north of Bayview with 2 lanes inbound, one lane outbound.
Well I never did say an art gallery. Many roundabouts in the world have local art in the centre island as a way to fill in otherwise useless space. I think a sculpture of a local legend or even nearby wildlife could fit well in the area.

Just to correct you its two lanes outbound, one lane inbound in front of the Mount which is fine by me. In my mind the layout in Rockingham is what the entire highway should be like with one lane each way and a centre turning lane, mind you I would love to see bicycle lanes added in at some point too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Just to correct you its two lanes outbound, one lane inbound in front of the Mount which is fine by me.
That is not what I was referring to, but helps illustrate the folly of the council decision way back when. I was referring to the section between Bayview and MSVU, which is 2 in/1 out. Then when you get to MSVU it switches to 2 out/1 in before becoming 1/1 after that for the most part. Bad, bad design.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:27 AM

Hi, I'm a resident of Birch Cove, and this is my first post, although I've been following this forum since I moved here from San Francisco 4 years ago.

I attended the public meeting tonight. St. Peter's church was packed with several hundred people, many more than at previous meetings. City staff presented the preferred design, which included the roundabout. They promised that the complete report will be posted here in the next few days.

http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanni...fordBasin.html

All in all, the project once complete will have 400-500 residential units, which adds quite a bit of density to the area. Lots of concern from residents about the potential impact of all of those people on (what else) traffic. Staff pointed out that the additional people means that there will be additional demand on transit, and therefore transit options will need to improve.

The Q&A was quite lively. Lots of residents concerned about traffic and the loss of their private views. Interestingly, at one point, the developer got up and presented an alternate plan, which involved a single highrise tower on the north end of the Chinatown site, instead of two mid-rises, and explained that this might be preferable to the community because it enhances ground level views for most, leaves the waterfront mostly out of the shadows, and provides more space for public 'amenities', by which I assume he means a park.

Personally, despite some of negativity tonight, I think that some version of this project will go through. Everyone recognizes that the status quo is not really an option because the site has too much potential, and city staff made it very clear that without a 'plan' the alternative is relatively unregulated development (using 1970's-era bylaws) that could result in a strip mall type development. (Ugh, there's enough of that already on the Bedford Hwy, thank you!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs