HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 8:29 PM

The Ancient Remains of Great Zimbabwe

The Ancient Remains of Great Zimbabwe

The ancient city of Great Zimbabwe was an engineering wonder. But archaeologists credited it to Phoenicians, Babylonians, Arabians – anyone but the Africans who actually built it.

by Zeb Larson

Walking up to the towering walls of Great Zimbabwe was a humbling experience. The closer I got, the more they dwarfed me – and yet, there was something inviting about the archaeological site. It didn't feel like an abandoned fortress or castle that one might see in Europe: Great Zimbabwe was a place where people lived and worked, a place where they came to worship – and still do. It felt alive.

Great Zimbabwe is the name of the extensive stone remains of an ancient city built between 1100 and 1450 CE near modern-day Masvingo, Zimbabwe. Believed to be the work of the Shona (who today make up the majority of Zimbabwe's population) and possibly other societies that were migrating back and forth across the area, the city was large and powerful, housing a population comparable to London at that time – somewhere around 20,000 people during its peak. Great Zimbabwe was part of a sophisticated trade network (Arab, Indian and Chinese trade goods were all found at the site), and its architectural design was astounding: made of enormous, mortarless stone walls and towers, most of which are still standing.

However, for close to a century, European colonisers of the late-19th and early-20th Centuries attributed the construction to outsiders and explorers, rather than to the Africans themselves.

[...]

Built between 1100 and 1450 CE, Great Zimbabwe was large and powerful (Credit: evenfh/Getty Images)

Europeans of the late-19th and early-20th Centuries attributed the construction to outsiders and explorers, rather than to the Africans (Credit: Agostini/Getty Images)

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Sep 21, 2024 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 3:57 AM

Really interesting. Didn't know anything about this.

Zimbabwe is one of the countries I've always wanted to visit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Really interesting. Didn't know anything about this.

Zimbabwe is one of the countries I've always wanted to visit.
There are a number of African countries I'd like to visit. The cultures, cuisines, and languages fascinate me.

The article I posted really gets me because people are finally coming around to the fact that actual sub-Saharan Africans built this city; it was racism pure and simple that European colonizers and archaeologists doubted that Africans were capable of building something like this.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 10:30 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

7 Influential African Empires (not counting Egypt)

1. The Kingdom of Kush
2. The Land of Punt
3. Carthage
4. The Kingdom of Aksum
5. The Mali Empire
6. The Songhai Empire
7. The Great Zimbabwe

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions