HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 3:25 AM

Cities of Vermont: The Icy Fist of Winter

Here are the cities of our nation's 14th state. Vermont is a very rural state; After Burlington, we're really talking about big towns. Anything over 8,000 people stands out here.

BURLINGTON is the largest city in the state at a bit under 40,000. It has a few suburbs as well, such as Essex Junction, Winooski, and South Burlington.
This is Church Street, the pedestrian mall. It was okay. Kinda dull. I prefer State Street in Madison, WI. One pic will do.

Burlington is home of the University of Vermont (no photos, sorry.) It dominates the city to a large extent, but there were other things going on as well. There are a lot of tech firms in town.

City Hall Square, I think

The city lies on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain. There was a very nice promenade.

New York's Adirondack Mountains loom across the lake.

ACROSS THE STATE, this is the Connecticut River, which seperates Vermont from New Hampshire. We're looking at NH from VT

RUTLAND is the 2nd largest city in Vermont with 17,000 folks. I had heard nothing but bad things, and was expecting Methville. Vermonters can be a bit dramatic descibing how bad places are. Rutland has some troubles (some funky looking folks at the gas station on the edge of town), and some unsightly highway stores, but the downtown was great. This is why we travel: surprises like Rutland.

There was a big walmart downtown, on the other side of this street. At least it's downtown, I suppose.

Nice location, right in the mountains.

Some scenery west of town

MONTPELIER. As state capitals go, this is as quaint as they get. Montpelier has about 9,000 people, and a vibrant downtown with lots of bookstores. I'm sure 'real' Vermonters hate this town, but we can't all be lumberjacks. These are from November, prior to the descent of winter's icy fist.
State house and Winooski River

Being someone who works with computers all day, I should be able to figure out why this is right up in my photo folders, and sideways here. Just tilt your head.

It took 11 pictures to get the flag like that

The Onion River, a tributary of the Winooski

Hubbard Park was a magnificent mountain park near the center of town.

Hark, a castle of sorts

The Green Mountains

BRATTLEBORO is in the southeast corner of the state, a few miles north of the Massachusetts state line, and on the Connecticut River across from New Hampshire. It was a dark September night. 12,000 citizens.

Does anyone know if there is a college in Brattleboro? I'm not aware of one, but there were alot of college-looking types about.

Spooky house

West of Brattleboro (before I got there, which is why it's still light. I'm bad about chronology). I stopped at a scenic lookout to enjoy the sunset. Walking back to the car, I passed two 90-year old ladies sitting in a car with Vermont plates "X NYC". I told them I liked the plates and they said "Oh, we have fun with it." I told them I was soon to be X Chicago, and they congratulated me. People like it up here.

Texas Falls, in Addison County

Heading towards the Adirondacks on VT Route 17.

ST. JOHNSBURY is located in the Northeast Kingdom, which is the most remote, backwoods part of the state. Not much tourism money makes it up here. St. Jay was attractive, but seemed depressed. 6,300 people are this town.

There were actually two downtowns, one at the bottom of the hill and a smaller on on top. These are all from the smaller one.

All I'm really missing here is Barre, which is a blue-collar quarry town near Montpelier. It had more of an Anytown USA look than anywhere else in VT, and not in a bad way. Also Bennington, a colonial town in the SW corner. Pretty touristy.

Let's all do a shot of maple syrup.

Last edited by Thundertubs; Jan 27, 2008 at 6:08 AM. Reason: Added photos, spellin'

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 4:43 AM

Great tour. I love Vermont but I rarely make it up there these days. I used to run the Vermont City Marathon every Memorial Day in Burlington but now I've gotten old and fat!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 6:45 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

Rarely seen places!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 7:00 AM

i like vermont. totally my speed. outstanding pictures.

really like the one of the porches over that small river. facinating.

there was a naval battle during the war of 1812 on lake champlain.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 3:03 PM

I think if I ever decide I don't like big city living, a place like Vermont seems like the right place to enjoy the slow pace of life. What a beautiful region, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Jan 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 3:13 PM
Eurosceptic

Excellent pics... I'm a big fan of Vermont... it's the "land the sprawl forget"... though I loathe that huge suburban parking lot and shopping center across the street from Downtown Rutland...

I had an interview in St. Jay a couple years back... charming town... quite remote.

If you're interested Thundertubs, here's a few Vermont galleries I put together a couple years ago... it's a state that gets virtually no play on this forum (so it's a treat to see your photos!)

Newport, VT - One of Vermont's larger towns on the shores of Lake Memphremagog... a stone's throw away from Quebec:
http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/newport_vt

Granby and Lyndonville, VT - Granby is just 86 persons... operating one-room schoolhouse. Lyndonville is a small town with a college.... both in the Northeast Kingdom
http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/granby_lyndonville_vt

St. Johnsbury in summer... I thought it was a gorgeous town
http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/st_johnsbury_vt

Littleton, NH - St. Jay's rival
http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/littleton_nh

Plattsburgh, NY - Burlington's "rival" (one-sided) across Lake Champlain
http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/plattsburgh_ny

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 3:39 PM
Corporate logo

Lovely. Just lovely.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 4:54 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Excellent photos thundertubs! Certainly an underrepresented area. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 5:01 PM

Trouble in paradise

Nice pics, Evergrey. I need to hit up Newport and Lake Mephremagog.
There is a very deceptive type of sprawl up here. I live and work in Lebanon, NH (4 mile/10 minute commute, it's wonderful). My co-workers come from 30, 40, 50, even 70 miles away. The 2-lane highways can't handle the traffic and Rt. 4 coming from Killington is a mess, I hear. When it snows, people have 2+ hour commutes. I think it's people wanting to have thier cake and eat it too (live on 100 acres in the middle of nowhere, but have a professional job). Alot of people up here do the Los Angeles-style power commute. Towns like Lebanon that have alot white collar jobs have gotten badly overpriced (I pay about what I paid in Chicago for my apt, and Leb is kind of dumpy) which drives people in search of big land further out. West Lebanon has become a big box hub since I-89 was put in, and the local streets can't deal with all the shoppers.
Not trying to squash everyone's escape-from-the-city dreams, but life up here is different from vacation up here. Lebanon is kind of a dud, though. Montpelier, Concord, Burlington, Keene are all lovely towns.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 7:47 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

What a wonderful state.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 8:00 PM

Great tour! I love Vermont. Have you been to Middlebury and Bennington yet? Two great college towns.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 8:39 PM
Honored Member

It would be hard not to love Vermont. Burlington's Church Street is a lot more lively in summer and the demographic mix is pretty wide, from college kids to geezers.

The Lake Champlain ferry ride between Port Kent and Burlington is a treat, especially in autumn, and the bike path along the old Rutland RR right-of-way is excellent.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 9:19 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Good post. We never see Burlington or Rutland here. My first wife was from Burlington, where I lived for a few years in '75 and '76..... and I went to Castleton State College near Rutland, so I know the area well.
I was back there this summer, and was amazed at how little change there has been in the last 35 years....which I guess is a good thing in many ways!
Thanks again for the tour.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 9:40 PM

Thanks for showing us places I probably never would've seen. Beautiful photography.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 9:43 PM

Woooo Northern New England. Love it. This Boston native only knows VT for its ski resorts...but these towns are beyond charming.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 10:16 PM

Awesome pics!!

I love Burlington. Great little city with a great university presence (University of Vermont and Champlain College)

Church Street does bustle a lot more in the summer - it is nice to see name brand shops in a pedestrian friendly setting in a real downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 10:22 PM
||||||||||||||||

Ohhh, very nice as Vermont is in every picture... as seen here again.
So close to us... here in Québec by so many ways to say.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 10:47 PM

Wonderful old structures! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:03 PM

Great pictures! It's nice to see some Vermont on here, which don't happen quite too often.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:08 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Great pics!

You are right about Montpelier being quaint! I can't believe a state capital can look that small!

I loved this picture. Small town urbanism can be great:

Also, you know your state is small when you count city populations by number of 'folks'!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos