HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:29 PM

Canada Science & Technology Museum | Completed

This just in, 9 cities will have the opportunity to bid for the proposed re-location of the Canada Science and Technology Museum!

j/k

We have the technology ... but nowhere to show it off
In 1967, Canada's national science museum opened in a bakery. Four decades later, it's still there.

Tom Spears
The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, November 15, 2007

You think you know the Canada Science and Technology Museum -- sprawling lawn, red and white tower, big trains inside, all on a commercial strip with McDonald's handy. But the real museum is hidden.

Yes, you can tour through the main building anytime. But close to 98 per cent of what the museum owns, the full collection of Canada's scientific and technological history, is in warehouses.

It's called the Reserve Collection, and there's nowhere else to put it.

This bugs the boss, Claude Faubert.

"I used to think about five per cent (of the overall collection) was on display," he says. But a closer look shows it's much worse than that: Less than two per cent of the full collection, from early X-ray machines to a Popemobile, is in public view.

"And that's a shame," says Mr. Faubert, the museum's director-general. "We've got everything in there: Dentists' chairs, fire trucks, little computers, cars. If you could just walk through there."

Maybe, in fact, that's a solution. The current warehouses can't be turned into public buildings. But if the museum played its cards right, he thinks that 10 to 15 per cent of the collection could be viewed -- if a new site could open up storage space for public viewing.

That's been the big "if" in the museum story since it opened on Nov. 15, 1967.

This Saturday, the museum will celebrate its 40th birthday, and it is still searching for a new home.

The cramped building you know today used to be the warehouse for the Morrison Lamothe bakery. It was a temporary solution in 1967, and still is, on paper.

It had about 118,000 square feet of floor space and 12 hectares of land, and one more attribute: It was available for a 1967 opening.

The first visitors found 16 main displays, with a heavy dose of transportation. Seven steam locomotives. Five aircraft and a number of carriages, automobiles and railway cars. Then came aircraft engines, plows, harvesting equipment, an Amoskeag fire engine reputed to have been used during the Great Fire of 1900 in Hull and smaller displays on meteorology, atomic energy, surveying, communications, and astronomy.

In Canada's Centennial year, this meant a lot. It was a Centennial demonstration of Canadian culture and history.

Great timing. But not such a great building, says Del Muise, a history professor at Carleton University with particular expertise in museums. (He used to work for what is now the Canadian Museum of Nature).

"They need a purpose-built building," he said.

"It would give them a broader range to do the kind of programming and interpretive work than they can do on those bare concrete floors.

"These guys for the last 30 years have been looking for a better building. They've been retrofitting that building over and over again so that it's beyond its capacity to support what it's doing."

What's wrong with an old bakery warehouse?

"The staff is spread all over the place. The collections are in a variety of different buildings," Mr. Muise says.

"The big highlight is that they've got big stuff. Everybody likes to go and see the railway engines and various other things. But when it gets down to their detailed programming, whether it's printing or the canoe exhibit or other things, they're squished into tiny little spaces and there's very little opportunity to do anything with that.

"They've been doing their best with what they have, and a lot better than we have the right to expect them to do, I think."

The stuff out back in warehouses is spectacular, and the odd visitor (supervised) gets to see airplane wings from the first days of flight in Canada, a railway car that carried King George VI and Queen Elizabeth across Canada ("Sometimes the story of where a thing came from is more interesting than the item itself," Mr. Faubert says) and Ski-Doo No. 1,000,001, in its original crate.

Also parts, from compressors to hex bolts, piled to the ceilings. "It's all about the shelving," he notes.

A site search is under way now, he says. A lot of the planning went on in 2002 and 2003, and the museum has narrowed its wishlist to three sites: One on the western section of LeBreton Flats, one in Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau, and one just south of the Canada Aviation Museum.

He won't be pinned down on what a new building would look like; that depends on the site, and the budget. It would have to be bigger than they have now, though, and able to put on bigger displays.

The problem remains money. In January, then-Treasury Board president John Baird said the country can't afford $400 million for a new science and tech museum. (That figure, he said, was half the original proposal.) He promised that the Conservatives would reassess the situation. It's a road the museum has been down before.

Museums are expensive, Mr. Muise notes, and politically, he believes this project "is nowhere.

"They're way way down on anybody's political agenda at the moment -- beyond museums that are going to look at human rights or beyond even what they now call the National Portrait Gallery of Canada," he said.

"What you need is a political will," and this would require "multi-multi-million-dollar" spending that no party feels is very urgent.

In the meantime, there's a "modest" birthday party coming: Cake and balloons during regular hours Saturday (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and a bring-your-own-artifact event on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The museum will have experts ready to tell you all you wanted to know about Aunt Mathilde's funny old kitchen gadgets, or perhaps the 1950s equipment salvaged from an early TV station.

What there won't be is a stunning announcement about a new building.

"It's a bakery, it's a bakery, it's a bakery," Carleton's Mr. Muise says, "and no matter how much you retrofit it, it's going to be problematic, I think."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:52 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

As a country that has given the world so much in terms of new technology, we should have the biggest science and technology museum in the world. It should be in a prominent location in a central part of Ottawa. That should be one of our city's claims to fame - the world's most massive Sci-Tech museum (and I mean by far the most massive, nothing any other country could come even close to matching unless they make a gigantic effort).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:31 PM
R2-D2's army of death

So in other words, Ontario Science Centre times five?

I don't think that LeBreton, Rockliffe or Jacques Cartier Park has that kind of space!
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:56 PM

:This just in, 9 cities will have the opportunity to bid for the proposed re-location of the Canada Science and Technology Museum!"

OMG - you almost gave me a heart attack with that! But you know what? I wouldn't be surprised!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post

I don't think that LeBreton, Rockliffe or Jacques Cartier Park has that kind of space!
City Centre, that is all.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 5:54 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I believe that there are already plans for the City Centre site, but hey, whatever works!
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:42 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:

More like Science Centre times ten.

It depends how one builds a museum. The latest efforts have been pretty big-box like renditions (the War Museum is a big box, a stunning one but a big box nonetheless).

Lots of modern museums around the world build up, are linked to rapid transit and have limited underground parking. I visited the Baltimore Aquarium this year and it is 3 storeys tall with a different theme on each storey.

All of the sites you mentioned could easily accommodate the largest Sci-Tech Museum on the world in a multi-storey format. I would see an urban site like the Turpin Dealership and the little Bank of Montreal branch at the corner of Montreal Rd. and St-Laurent. Nine museum storeys above one ground floor of museum shop, restaurant and science-tech related retail.

This would be an impetus for a Rideau-Montreal transit line, plus it would strengthen the fabric between the older and suburban sections of Montreal Road, as a springboard for further urbanization of that Mainstreet eastward. And it would be a good chance to animate a stretch of that street that has a cemetery on the other side.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 2:07 PM

I'd like to see it at the old Domtar site on the Gatineau side (not Victoria Island)....that site is huge and lends itself to a unique architecture.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by the capital urbanite View Post
I'd like to see it at the old Domtar site on the Gatineau side (not Victoria Island)....that site is huge and lends itself to a unique architecture.
That's another great location, but the City of Gatineau is looking for another tenant. Preferably an Industrial minded one.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 12:22 AM

Speaking of City Centre,does anyone know what those plans might be?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:03 AM
Still optimistic

they could build it on one of the chaudière islands...
there is lots of space!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:36 AM

Chaudiere Islands are for the Aboriginal museum.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:29 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Speaking of City Centre,does anyone know what those plans might be?
From some brief ghosts of plans past, it seems that it would be an office complex. Not sure what the current plans are.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:03 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
From some brief ghosts of plans past, it seems that it would be an office complex. Not sure what the current plans are.
The City Centre, thankfully, doesn't have any active plans. At this point in its evolution it would probably get the wrong plan, something too suburban. It needs to bridge West Centretown with Hintonburg across the O-Train line in an urban way. The office tower proposals that have been floated for the site do anything but. In the meantime, nothing wrong with a little industry in the heart of the city... and the Orange Monkey still has a few good years left!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:38 AM
National Capital Region

Science museum wants to replace front-yard park with storage facility
Lighthouse, train would go
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Science...010/story.html

BY MARIA COOK, THE OTTAWA CITIZENDECEMBER 2, 2009 11:24 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA — The Canada Science and Technology Museum will offer the park in front of its St. Laurent Boulevard building for private development in exchange for a new building on the site to store museum artifacts.

Denise Amyot, president and CEO of the museum, said she plans to seek a public-private partnership next spring to develop the land, about 3.4 hectares that is currently used to display a lighthouse and locomotive.

“What I want to offer to the private sector is access to my prime land,” she said in an interview yesterday.

“It means they could build my building and I would pay so much rent per year and eventually own it. I would lease that piece of land for development,” said Amyot.

“What I would love is if it would be someone involved in science and technology,” she said. “Then we could create a hub.”

Meanwhile, the museum is developing concept plans for a new museum building and gearing up for fundraising.

“The government told me it’s not ‘if’ but ‘when’ we are getting a new museum,” she said, adding: “I do not yet have the green light.” The museum has decided to separate the public building from the structure that will house the reserve collection.

“In order to be ready when funding for construction becomes available (for a new museum building), the Canada Science and Technology Museum is proceeding with the functional program for the building that will house the reserve collection,” says a project description.

“The decision to move ahead on this building also responds to the auditor general’s recent report on the corporation’s need to properly house this national science and technology collection,” it says.

The museum currently rents three warehouses for storage. Only two per cent of the million objects in the collection are on display. “I’m already at 125 per cent capacity and I have a piece of land where I can build,” said Amyot. “The (federal) government is really encouraging people to do public-private partnership. I think the time is good to do something like that.”

The museum recently hired Toronto museum consultants Lundholm Associates to establish what the museum’s needs will be in a new storage building.That will in turn determine its size and height.

City zoning allows eight storeys, but Amyot doubts they will build that high. “The facility should adequately house the current collection with room for a 25-year growth, as well as offer storage space that could be leased to other national museums,” says the project description.

It “should also have sufficient space for collection related services (conservation lab, collection management, archives) and corporate services,” it says.

“Finally, this new reserve collection facility will have a public accessible collection component, where visitors will be able to view significant objects from the collection and to learn about the collection as a whole.”

The consultants’ study is expected to be finished next March, followed by a request for proposals from the private sector.

Amyot says two unnamed museums have expressed interest in renting space in the building as have three associations related to science and technology.

She envisions a floor of office space available for rent to organizations or start-ups, possibly a high-tech incubator. “Our library and all the staff that is now in the warehouses would be housed there,” she adds.

She hopes the new building could be ready in 18 months, but admits that’s optimistic. “Maybe two-and-a-half years.”

Since opening in 1967, the museum has been housed in a former bakery. The location was meant to be temporary.

“It looks like a dollar store,” she said. “I’m ashamed of that. It’s not functional like it should be. “I do not think we should celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada (in 2017) at that location.”

Amyot has been travelling across Canada to get public input on what Canadians want for the museum, as well as to build support for cross-country exhibitions and shared projects such as distance education. A public consultation session was held in Ottawa on Wednesday.

“I do not want to be a local museum,” she said. “I am a national federal museum.”

Three locations have been identified as suitable: beside Place Jacques Cartier near the Canadian Museum of Civilization, behind the Canadian War Museum and beside the Canada Aviation Museum. A fourth — the former E.B. Eddy site — is being studied.

“No decision has been taken,” said Amyot. “It will be a decision of government. We are pushing to be downtown in Ottawa or the Outaouais.” As a Crown corporation, the museum is not eligible for federal stimulus funds.

Amyot said she was told by government officials that it was important to get funding from individuals as well as the private sector to supplement a federal contribution.

She says they have developed three options for a new museum building, varying by cost and features. These options and costs are not yet public information, she said. But, the idea is to have a “contemporary, elegant” building with open flexible spaces and built to high standards for environmental sustainability.

Exhibition halls will be divided into theme galleries, theatres and discovery centres as well as space for temporary exhibitions.

“The museum will function much like a theatre, with its stage, sets, lights, grid and other built-in systems allowing for a relatively economical change (from show to show),” says a statement of the vision.

“The exhibitions and the collection will be placed in the forefront, rather than the architecture,” it says. “The intent is not to spend excessive funds to create an architectural monument, but to make a lasting impression of the impact of science and technology on visitors of all ages.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:46 AM

How about the area just north of Bayview Station and just east of the railway line leading to the Prince of Wales Bridge? A direct transit access could be provided by a short bridge to the new Bayview LRT station...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 3:30 PM

Ah, the game continues and this could be 'Check and Mate': By removing the front lawn, the existing site will be made totally unsuitable. There will be no expansion options for that location and the Museum will be 'hidden' in the back. Thus, the Museum will have to be moved before the 150th celebration.

Also, the choice of a huge artifact storage facility for the site is a good one. Having other Museums house artifacts there is an even better one - especially since it is to include all the technical support for those collections. Once the Museum is moved, the original building can be removed and that space also used for a new (second) warehouse, consolidating most of the area's needed artifact storage and handling facilities into one place. It is unfortunate that the rail link isn't there any more, though. It was a short-sighted move to remove is since it should have been known that the Museum would have to move some day.

As one of the 'compatible' uses of the new front lawn's building, perhaps schools could set up Museum/Curator education facilities there. Maybe archive facilities could also be included.

I hope that there is sufficient 'work' space included in the warehouse to allow full new displays to be created before being moved to the various Museums. This could help reduce the 'fit-up' time required at the Museums, maximizing the useful time of the public galleries.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
How about the area just north of Bayview Station and just east of the railway line leading to the Prince of Wales Bridge? A direct transit access could be provided by a short bridge to the new Bayview LRT station...
If we had chosen something like Mag-Lev for our rail back-bone, then the train could have run right through the Museum as part of one of its exhibits.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:14 PM
Closed account

I like the idea of the EB Eddy plant.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:18 PM

I do like the idea of clustering most or all of the national museums in one area from Jacques Cartier Park down to Tunney's Pasture - making a mini-Smithsonian of sorts and the ability to visit multiple museums in one day possible...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa