HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:53 PM

1546 Scott St | 90m | 25f | Approved

New proposal right next door to this proposal on Devapp 1546 SCOTT to be exact

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0216/details

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1546 Scott St | 90m | 25f | Proposed

Reid’s Heritage Properties is proposing a development at 1546 Scott Street that includes the construction of a 25-storey mixed-use, high-rise apartment building, with a total of 230 dwelling units and a 222 square metre commercial unit on the ground floor. The building design includes a covered parking area, with 13 spaces and a drive aisle which provides access from Scott Street to the rear of the building and adjacent loading facilities on the abutting property, as well as access to the underground parking ramp. The covered parking area is buffered to the east by a 1.3-metre-wide landscape strip. Four levels of underground parking are provided, with an additional 163 parking spaces. A total of 176 parking spaces are proposed, of which 154 are allocated for residential parking and 22 spaces are provided to meet the minimum visitor parking requirement.

The commercial space is located at the front of the building adjacent to Scott Street and the residential entrance is adjacent to the commercial unit but is set back farther from the street. A residential lobby, and elevator lobby are provided on the ground floor, together with a garbage room. An exterior staging and loading area are provided adjacent to the garbage room and autoturn has confirmed a waste management truck can manoeuvre the drive aisle and loading area.

Interior bicycle parking is provided on the ground floor (54 spaces) and an additional storage room is provided on Parking Level 1, with parking for 61 bicycles. Additional bicycle parking spaces are provided at grade adjacent to the commercial and residential entrances for a total of 129 spaces. Communal amenity area is provided on the second floor both indoors and outdoors. An area of 566 square metres indoors provides programming opportunities for kitchen and lounge areas, workspaces, screening room, games area and children’s play area. An additional 308 square metre outdoor terrace is proposed with lounge areas and children’s play area.

Architect: Tregebov Cogan Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0216/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:33 PM

I like the shape, but can we move on from randomized barcode window/coloured panels layout?
Can't wait for this trend to fade away.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
I like the shape, but can we move on from randomized barcode window/coloured panels layout?
We're at the point now where I like a building proposal in Ottawa simply by the virtue of NOT Being a Roderick Lahey/Neuf copy past. I agree the barcode thing is annoying, but at least it's something different than the 90% of clone stamp towers going up in this city. Not sure about the micro-balconies on the side though, what are those for? Your cat's litterbox or something?

Last edited by Harley613; Dec 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:52 PM
You call that a knife?

- Rideau St Beer Store - closed
- Montreal Rd (West) Beer Store - closing
- Scott St Beer Store - closing

I fear for Dundonald Park

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:54 PM
ハルウララ

Beer Stores closing has been a common element throughout Ontario. With sales now allowed at grocery stores, and with the increased presence of micro-brews, I don't really see them closing as a bad thing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
- Rideau St Beer Store - closed
- Montreal Rd (West) Beer Store - closing
- Scott St Beer Store - closing

I fear for Dundonald Park
They're opening a Beer store on bank in that retirement building in front of Lansdowne! They're not all closing :p

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:07 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Beer Stores closing has been a common element throughout Ontario. With sales now allowed at grocery stores, and with the increased presence of micro-brews, I don't really see them closing as a bad thing.
Less concerned about the people buying five dollar 7% DIPAs and more about those trying to survive

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:11 PM

Surely some of these will return in the new developments no? Like the one on Bank that closed but is opening in the new building?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
Less concerned about the people buying five dollar 7% DIPAs and more about those trying to survive
Perhaps there are better potential policies out there for supporting lower income Canadians than Beer Store recycling centres.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:26 PM

176 parking spots for 230 units is 76.5%, literally right beside a rapid transit station in one of the most walkable neighbourhoods in this city. Really? Does no one understand TOD and why they're upzoning around transit stations?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:39 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
Agreed. No more. Please.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:25 PM

Design is interesting, but it's quite jarring how different it is from the tower that was jsut approved. Usually you want towers in one complex to complement each other. Maybe not to Claridge level, but similar to the Dale towers which are different, but have a consistent design language.

Podium is weird. Screams 1970s. All around, not a huge fan.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:06 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

It's an ok-looking building overall IMO but the retail interface with the sidewalk is awkward. We have landscape-itis in this city - we just automatically throw some green in front of a building to check a box and hope for the best, but unless landscaping actually works with and on the space, it becomes a giant ashtray/trash can or a path of mud. And the architecture of retail frontages has to be... just that. You need a visible store entrance, a prominent sign band above the storefront, and a basic notion of proximity between the sidewalk and the front door.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 1:41 AM

New proposal. 1546 Scott Street 25 story high rise on site of the Beer Store. This would be immediately north of the proposed 25 story at 1560 Scott Street.

https://kitchissippiward.ca/content/...l-applications

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
176 parking spots for 230 units is 76.5%, literally right beside a rapid transit station in one of the most walkable neighbourhoods in this city. Really? Does no one understand TOD and why they're upzoning around transit stations?
First of all, that is 176 parking spots for 230 units and 222 square metre of ground floor commercial. Having said that, given that it is in Area Z on Schedule 1A, there is no minimum parking requirement for residents or commercial space; however, they are required to provide 0.1 visitor parking space per dwelling unit beyond the first 12, but no more than 30, which works out to between 22 and 30 visitor parking spaces .

That means between 146 and 154 parking spots to be shared between the commercial tenants and residents. How they will divide those up isn't clear, but even if you assume no parking assigned to the commercial tenants, that is between 63.5% and 67.0% per residential unit (not resident).

While I agree we don't want to build sprawling parking lots near transit stations, in this case, the vast majority of the parking (163 of the 176 spaces) will be underground, in what would otherwise be relatively useless space. Would you rather see that space not be used at all?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
First of all, that is 176 parking spots for 230 units and 222 square metre of ground floor commercial. Having said that, given that it is in Area Z on Schedule 1A, there is no minimum parking requirement for residents or commercial space; however, they are required to provide 0.1 visitor parking space per dwelling unit beyond the first 12, but no more than 30, which works out to between 22 and 30 visitor parking spaces .

That means between 146 and 154 parking spots to be shared between the commercial tenants and residents. How they will divide those up isn't clear, but even if you assume no parking assigned to the commercial tenants, that is between 63.5% and 67.0% per residential unit (not resident).

While I agree we don't want to build sprawling parking lots near transit stations, in this case, the vast majority of the parking (163 of the 176 spaces) will be underground, in what would otherwise be relatively useless space. Would you rather see that space not be used at all?
Actually, if they weren't building underground parking these buildings would be built much faster because they wouldn't have to excavate to build the parking; they'd just drill for structure/ foundation piles. It would also be more cost-effective to not have to build underground parking (don't forget, below-grade parking is more expensive to build, too). So yes, I would prefer to see no parking, be it underground or on the surface. Are you familiar with Induced Demand? I recommend look it up and learning about it. Building parking underground or on the surface will have the same effect on the area anyway and contribute to more people choosing to drive despite this building being right across from a rapid transit station in one of the most walkable neighbourhoods in the city, which is also counter to intensification efforts, 15-minute neighbourhood plans and Transit-Oriented Development.

To clarify your numbers, they are providing 22 parking spots for visitors and 154 for residents. That is 67%, which is still far to high for this site and area.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Dec 20, 2021 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, if they weren't building underground parking these buildings would be built much faster because they wouldn't have to excavate to build the parking; they'd just drill for structure/ foundation piles. It would also be more cost-effective to not have to build underground parking (don't forget, below-grade parking is more expensive to build, too). So yes, I would prefer to see no parking, be it underground or on the surface.
Assuming that the soil/geological conditions allow them to build 25 floor tower on the surface by only drilling piles, and assuming that they can put the minimum 22 visitor parking spots on the surface without reducing the footprint of the building (the current design only has 13), then that could be a faster, cheaper option. However, if the developer feels that the cost in time and money of digging out a parking garage will be recouped by improved demand and parking fees, then those costs become a non-issue. This is private money after all.

Quote:
Are you familiar with Induced Demand? I recommend look it up and learning about it. Building parking underground or on the surface will have the same effect on the area anyway and contribute to more people choosing to drive despite this building being right across from a rapid transit station in one of the most walkable neighbourhoods in the city, which is also counter to intensification efforts, 15-minute neighbourhood plans and Transit-Oriented Development.
Yes I am familiar with Induced Demand. While excessive residential parking can have a small induced demand effect, I would argue that more/larger roads and excessive destination parking will have a much larger effect.

While going car free is admirable, people own cars for a variety of reasons. Maybe while they use transit for their commute, their spouse can't, maybe they frequently visit family/friends/places that aren't easily accessed by transit, or maybe they aren't quite ready to cut the cord and commit to being car free yet (in which case having a place to park a car could help wean them from needing a car).

If you were talking about a decade ago, when Ottawa didn't have different minimum parking requirements near transit stations, and this building would have been required to have significantly more parking than is currently proposed, then you would have a valid argument, but I don't see this as being the big problem you are claiming it is.

I am not sure what the exact rules were back then, but by comparison, if this same building were built in Area C, it would require at a minimum 276 parking spaces for residents plus 46 parking spaces for visitors plus however many would be needed for the commercial portion, depending what type of tenant it is planned to have. So that is more than 322 parking spaces, with the developer having the option to have over 400 parking spaces.

Quote:
To clarify your numbers, they are providing 22 parking spots for visitors and 154 for residents. That is 67%, which is still far to high for this site and area.
Where are you seeing that? Section 5.2.1 (Parking Supply) of the Transportation Impact Assessment says:
Quote:
a minimum of 22 designated visitor parking spaces must be accommodated based on the prescribed ratio and no more than 30.
And as far as I can tell, the Architectrual Set doesn't seem to indicate which parking spots are for visitors and which are for tenants either.

Even if you are correct, when you consider that the average household in Ottawa has 2.5 people, that works out to 1 parking spot for every 3.7 people living in the building.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:39 PM

I'm assuming this garage will be a direct connecting extension to the adjacent existing Holland Cross underground garage and that the amount of spaces for residents/public will be flexible. I also assume the second building will have it's own extension of the garage.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'm assuming this garage will be a direct connecting extension to the adjacent existing Holland Cross underground garage and that the amount of spaces for residents/public will be flexible. I also assume the second building will have it's own extension of the garage.
Looking at the the Architectrual Set (spelling mistake theirs, not mine) for P1-P4 of this development (pp. 3&4), it doesn't appear to be connected to the adjacent existing Holland Cross underground garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa