HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 3:39 AM

622 SW Marine Drive | 28, 32 Floors | 96m, 101m | Proposed

Demolition underway:

Last edited by gaviscon; Feb 20, 2023 at 6:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 8:59 PM

^Thanks for creating the thread.

The Denny's was finally demolished today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^Thanks for creating the thread.

The Denny's was finally demolished today.
Grand slam indeed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:00 PM

Shame, that was a good Denny's. Oh well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:13 PM

Hopefully something better can replace it. I would love a sushi or Indian restaurant. The neighbourhood has more than enough generic western chains as it is.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Hopefully something better can replace it. I would love a sushi or Indian restaurant. The neighbourhood has more than enough generic western chains as it is.
There's somewhere in Metro Vancouver that doesn't have a sushi restaurant!?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 10:31 PM

Haha I know it's shocking. I don't get it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
If there's a sushi place on freaking Bowen Island, there's one here - we just haven't seen it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Yeah, Marine Gateway. Shocking eh?

T&T does sell bad-quality sushi though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Is this satire? Because I’m reading this as satire.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Is this satire? Because I’m reading this as satire.
Well you shouldn't because it's not satire.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:15 AM

Bah, sushi and Indian restaurants are literally everywhere and so similar to each other. Denny's type diners are actually becoming very rare in many areas, so this was a loss. I visited that location fairly often and it was always very busy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:19 AM

Any large retail space in the podium that is designated for restaurant use in this development? Would be a loss to lose a Dennys. The renders show some smallish CRU's, which usually equates to bubble tea and physio/dentists.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:54 AM

Their rezoning application specifically mentions a restaurant and cafe are part of the envisioned retail mix with some outdoor patios as well. Retail is 17,000 square feet.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2022012...cantboards.pdf

Here's the floor plans

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...5ad9334b37eed6

The largest CRU is 3995 SF which I think is for the restaurant with a 1923+484 SF patio. The other patio 993 SF next to ta 1760 SF retail unit.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:44 PM

Slightly off topic but on the topic of replacements, were we ever supposed to get a White Spot replacement at Cambie and 12th, when they named the condo project "The Spot" and then a high end Chinese restaurant took the main space?

I'm not sure White Spot could have afforded the rent, but I always thought it was coming back?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Slightly off topic but on the topic of replacements, were we ever supposed to get a White Spot replacement at Cambie and 12th, when they named the condo project "The Spot" and then a high end Chinese restaurant took the main space?

I'm not sure White Spot could have afforded the rent, but I always thought it was coming back?
Shato Holdings (who own White Spot) were the developer, so if they'd wanted to locate there, they wouldn't have had a problem. I don't think they ever indicated they were going back, but maybe it was assumed to be the case as they were the developer. The render for the condo building had a generic 'Food and Drink' sign, not a White Spot logo.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Shato’s managing director, Ron Toigo, told the Straight by phone that if the application is approved, the company will move a heritage house to another part of the site. He added that a new White Spot might be included in the project, depending on how the development proceeds.
This was the closest they ever got to committing to re-open there.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:

I remember hearing the story second-hand when the construction had started, from one of my friends who was close to the proceedings. The family that owns/owned White Spot is related to the family that owns the developer of the project. Some internal family fallings-out meant that they reneged on their deal to bring White Spot back to that location.

I would guess - and this is pure conjecture - that the iDen & Quan Ju restaurant (the high-end Chinese restaurant that has gone into the development) were willing to pay a stupendously high rent for that high-profile location, whereas having a family business there would never have been able to match the potential for profits. Hence the potential for two sides of the family falling out over what to do - let family in or reap big profits.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
I remember hearing the story second-hand when the construction had started, from one of my friends who was close to the proceedings. The family that owns/owned White Spot is related to the family that owns the developer of the project. Some internal family fallings-out meant that they reneged on their deal to bring White Spot back to that location.

I would guess - and this is pure conjecture - that the iDen & Quan Ju restaurant (the high-end Chinese restaurant that has gone into the development) were willing to pay a stupendously high rent for that high-profile location, whereas having a family business there would never have been able to match the potential for profits. Hence the potential for two sides of the family falling out over what to do - let family in or reap big profits.
The developer Magnum seems to have been founded by someone of Chinese heritage. Some other article said one of the Toigo brothers ran the restaurants while the other real estate so maybe it was the same family?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The developer Magnum seems to have been founded by someone of Chinese heritage. Some other article said one of the Toigo brothers ran the restaurants while the other real estate so maybe it was the same family?
Magnum is a real estate marketer.
Shato Holdings (as mentioned above) is the Toigo/White Spot family real estate development arm (and I think they still own the small office block on the NE corner of Cambie & King Edward Ave. where there used to be a White Spot too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver