HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: 17th ave SW or Notre Dame Ave?
Yes 20 58.82%
No 7 20.59%
Yes, but a different name 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:24 PM
Editor

17th ave SW or Notre Dame Ave?

I posted a poll on twitter for this and figured, might as well post one here too. This is better anyhow....it's hard to debate or discuss on Twitter.

So which is it? Is 17th ave good as it is, or could it be better using the original street name of Notre Dame Ave? Maybe another name altogether?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:31 PM

I think the questions you are asking is: "Should we rename 17th ave SW to its original name, Notre Dame Ave?"

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:59 PM

When was it called Notre Dame Avenue?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:08 PM

I find it pretty forced when people use street names that were changed decades ago. I do prefer named streets to numbers, but unless the city makes some sweeping changes, I'll call 17th ave 17th, 1st St SW, 1st St SW etc.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:17 PM
BANNED

I don't it would be a good idea simply because most of the locals would really botch the name. I do think a name change to something different makes sense - maybe the city should put out a poll with various options to choose from.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_179 View Post
When was it called Notre Dame Avenue?
Check out these old maps: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191375

http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/wp-co...treetnames.gif You'll have to zoom into the hi-res image to see the names.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:49 PM

Interesting that only part of it is Notre Dame. Was their a church at one point called that there? What is the history of the name?

I think it needs to have something cowboyish in the name. Maybe Wagoneer Stampychaps Ave or something. People often forget about how much of a cowboy town we are. We need to remind them.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

To be fair, Notre Dame (and likely other names like Stephen) were only in use until 1904. Considering this photo from ~1900

shows the Lougheed house 600m away with few houses in between could mean that few Calgarians ever used or identified with the street name.

Outside of downtown I do wonder how many historic street names existed other than as print on a map. Not to say that the intent of using the name is invalid as a choice today.

Perhaps a good research project for 5seconds

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:27 AM
No man's land

Lougheed Avenue?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I posted a poll on twitter for this and figured, might as well post one here too. This is better anyhow....it's hard to debate or discuss on Twitter.

So which is it? Is 17th ave good as it is, or could it be better using the original street name of Notre Dame Ave? Maybe another name altogether?
I support a name change to highlight the significance of the street better. Something classy like "Notre Dame" or "loughheed" would work. It's less about the locals and more about the brand.

Sure it would take a generation to get all the locals people to forget, but I think our numbering system aligns with our major problem of being a city designed for engineers and not one designed for people. Any moves to give Calgary a bit more personality is a good thing.

And though I support a new / old name, I will be one of those that will call it 17th. Too old to switch now for me

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:05 AM

'Notre Dame' or any name for that matter is an improvement. People always complain that tourists don't leave the CBD, and don't know about the Beltline. It's because a name like '17th ave' doesn't stand out at all to tourists only locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
I support a name change to highlight the significance of the street better. Something classy like "Notre Dame" or "loughheed" would work. It's less about the locals and more about the brand.

Sure it would take a generation to get all the locals people to forget, but I think our numbering system aligns with our major problem of being a city designed for engineers and not one designed for people. Any moves to give Calgary a bit more personality is a good thing.

And though I support a new / old name, I will be one of those that will call it 17th. Too old to switch now for me

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:22 AM
I am the law!

Notre Dame is an awful name. 17th is fine for street name. Well, not really a fan of the quadrants that bisect downtown . Just get those hotels directing tourists to the Red Mile. A community/neighbourhood/district name is more enticing than just a street.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:18 AM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Notre Dame is an awful name. 17th is fine for street name. Well, not really a fan of the quadrants that bisect downtown . Just get those hotels directing tourists to the Red Mile. A community/neighbourhood/district name is more enticing than just a street.
Why? I have no idea what community/neighbourhood/district Queen Street west, King Street, Yonge/Dundas, Bloor are in but I know those are some of the streets to go to.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Why? I have no idea what community/neighbourhood/district Queen Street west, King Street, Yonge/Dundas, Bloor are in but I know those are some of the streets to go to.
Exactly. Same goes for just about any well known street in other cities. I've been to streets like Rush Street in Chicago or South Street in Philly. I have no idea what neighborhoods they are in. Some streets also cross more than one neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
I think the questions you are asking is: "Should we rename 17th ave SW to its original name, Notre Dame Ave?"
That's how I interpreted it, as per his post

Quote:
Is 17th ave good as it is, or could it be better using the original street name of Notre Dame Ave? Maybe another name altogether?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:44 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
I'll give you Queen Street West but, Yonge & Dundas is an intersection and King Street or Bloor mean nothing. Where on Bloor? The Annex? Koreatown?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 1:41 PM

Quote:
I'll give you Queen Street West but, Yonge & Dundas is an intersection and King Street or Bloor mean nothing. Where on Bloor? The Annex? Koreatown?
King Street West is the entertainment district in Toronto. It is full of restaurants, lounges and nightclubs. Bloor is known for high end shopping, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Holt Renfrew, etc. It's Canada most expensive retail area. Both areas are very prominent for visitors.

Last edited by red_179; Mar 8, 2016 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Not true, it depends case by case. In some cases the street is more known than the neighborhood, and in other cases it's the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Lougheed Avenue?
How about Connaught Avenue, since that adjacent community name has faded away mostly

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:50 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
How about Connaught Avenue, since that adjacent community name has faded away mostly
Connaught High Street
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy