HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:04 PM

London Drivers Are Selfish

Like why does everyone in this city drive super slow and always under the limit? It drives me insane.

We live in a city with NO expressway, NO decent road infrastructure, NO ringroad, and NO great way to get around the city. Yet everyone drives like we live in a small city like St. Thomas, when our population is well over 500k, maybe getting to 600k soon.

When are people going to drive like it's a large city? When are people going to learn this is a large city now, and nowwhere near a small town? I go to the GTA and I love it because everyone goes faster, they zipper merge, and no one wastes your time on the road. They understand that they don't want to sit in traffic all day.

I also don't understand why some of you act like driving is hard. Driving is literally one of the easiest things you can do. If you can't understand 2 pedals, a steering wheel, and to pay attention, you shouldn't drive.

It just seems like no one in London cares at all. No one cares to have better roads and not sit in traffic all day. Everyone here seems to love taking 30 minutes to get from South London to Downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:09 PM

Next time, please don’t hold back on your thoughts.

I don’t think London drivers are any different than any other city. We have the crappy infrastructure that we have and we drive accordingly. I dont want to live in a city that allows people to drive 30 km/hour over. Instead make the roads better.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:26 PM
User Registered

The most frustrating spot for me is Highbury southbound south of Hamilton when the short freeway stretch begins. It's 100, and a lot of the time I can't even get to 60 before the hill begins south of the river. That's when things start to get a little faster- maybe 80, but accelerating on a hill is stupid as its bad fuel economy and hard on your engine.

Funny thing Highbury often operates well over 100 northbound- people are used to freeway speeds from the 401 I guess? Big contrast between the directions.

-----

As for speed limits elsewhere in town, I have seen a mix and I guess it depends on where you are and what the traffic is like. I find Fanshawe, Commissioners and Wonderland flow at speed when there's moderate traffic, for example. Many roads have been reduced to 40 and it feels super slow doing that speed on them since the design of the road hasn't changed, just the sign.

An example is Cheapside east of Highbury where it felt comfortable doing 80 in a 60 zone as the driving lane is wide and straight. They reduced it from 60 to 40 to try and slow people down without making any changes in road design. Hahaha no.

-----

For my driving habits, if I see the light ahead change from green to red I'm goona take my foot off the pedal and coast to it, so yes I will be below the speed limit for that stretch. It's fun to see people try to lane change accelerate to the red light, slam on the brakes, then come to a stop when the light turns green, meanwhile I'm still doing 20-30 and easily pass them.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Driver found guilty of all counts in London, Ont., crash that killed 8-year-old girl guide and injured 7

Quote:
During the trial, court heard McNorgan drove her Honda CRV westbound through the intersection of Wonderland Road and Riverside Drive at high speed on the evening of Nov. 30, 2021.

As McNorgan's car travelled through the intersection, reaching speeds of 121 km/h, she clipped the back bumper of a Jeep stopped at the red light. From there, her car continued through the intersection, struck a light pole, and slammed into a group of Girl Guides and their chaperones as they walked on a sidewalk.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Selfish drivers in London:

1) Assholic pickup truck drivers, tailgating with their massive grills covering your rear window. Often with extremely and unnecessarily (deliberate?) loud vehicle exhaust systems. Gesticulating as they pass you by, en route to Timmies for another Quadruple-Quadruple.

2) Assholic motorcycle drivers, driving double the limit with impunity, usually at night, in groups, and with modified gaspack mufflers. One bike disturbing the peace of tens of thousands of residents.

I hate driving in the GTA (and I am from Montreal, land of the loony drivers), because people drive like irresponsible assholes at very high speed.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

1) Assholic pickup truck drivers, tailgating with their massive grills covering your rear window. Often with extremely and unnecessarily (deliberate?) loud vehicle exhaust systems. Gesticulating as they pass you by, en route to Timmies for another Quadruple-Quadruple.

2) Assholic motorcycle drivers, driving double the limit with impunity, usually at night, in groups, and with modified gaspack mufflers. One bike disturbing the peace of tens of thousands of residents.

I hate driving in the GTA (and I am from Montreal, land of the loony drivers), because people drive like irresponsible assholes at very high speed.
Let's not forget the assholic BMW, Mercedes and Audi drivers who also drive badly because they think they're better than everyone else because they drive one of those marques of vehicles.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I don’t think London drivers are any different than any other city. We have the crappy infrastructure that we have and we drive accordingly. I dont want to live in a city that allows people to drive 30 km/hour over. Instead make the roads better.
I agree. That is basically the point I'm trying to get across. Problem is the road infrastructure hasn't changed much. We have all these new people, all want to drive because transit sucks, and it just causes heartache to our roads.

You go to Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, around 5pm on a weekday, driving around isn't even bad. You got many expressways, Hwy 7 and 8, and then Homer Watson, one way roads with mutli lanes like Erb St, LRT, the difference is night and day. Only time it got kinda bad was when King Street was under construction, but I just took Homer Watson to bypass it and it was fine.

You can't do those things in London. Around 5pm it's a shitshow wherever you go, mainly because of the on going construction everywhere.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I actually liked driving in Montreal. Granted yeah you gotta watch out constantly, especially those bikers who come out of nowhere going faster than you, but I thought it was decent for the size of the city. Maybe I went during a decent time.

I agree with all those points. I like going a bit over the limit (20 max usually), but I hate those people who always want to go 30 or 50 over, usually a pickup truck too.

But I find a lot of these assholes are like that due to the slow drivers who clog up the main roads, and in turn makes these people crazy. London just needs a ton of new road infrastructure, intersections and roads that make sense and create better traffic flow. Right now, London is a clusterfuck of stroads and random streets that make no sense or just abruply stop.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
As for speed limits elsewhere in town, I have seen a mix and I guess it depends on where you are and what the traffic is like. I find Fanshawe, Commissioners and Wonderland flow at speed when there's moderate traffic, for example. Many roads have been reduced to 40 and it feels super slow doing that speed on them since the design of the road hasn't changed, just the sign.

An example is Cheapside east of Highbury where it felt comfortable doing 80 in a 60 zone as the driving lane is wide and straight. They reduced it from 60 to 40 to try and slow people down without making any changes in road design. Hahaha no.
That is my issue too. The city just lowering speed limits with no change or anything to road design. People just do the same speeds still.

My least favourite spot is Wharncliffe South, from Exeter to Lambeth, and from Wonderland to Southdale. City reduced the speed limit going to Lambeth to 60, yet people still go 80 or higher, and I don't blame them. Then you got Wharcliffe North past Wonderland, the limit is 80 and people struggle here to actually get to 80, usually going 70. BUT, when the speed limit drops to 60 at Bradley, then everyone wants to go 80 or 90 all of a sudden. I don't get it.

Why drop limits if no one is going to enforce them or care?

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 9:47 PM

Yeah, people in the GTA drive keep their foot on the gas all the way to the red light or stop sign, and then hit the brakes at the last second. Very good drivers. So selfless, they waste their so much money on gas like that. No wonder they are imposing 30 km/h limits on most side streets now.

I doubt takes 30 minutes for even a bus to get from any part of London to downtown, let alone a car. 30 minutes in GTA is like driving from Mississauga to Hamilton.

According to LTC schedule, a bus on route 90 takes 21 minutes to get from White Oaks Mall to Queens Avenue. Perhaps you should contact them and inform them of their error?

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
That is my issue too. The city just lowering speed limits with no change or anything to road design. People just do the same speeds still.

My least favourite spot is Wharncliffe South, from Exeter to Lambeth, and from Wonderland to Southdale. City reduced the speed limit going to Lambeth to 60, yet people still go 80 or higher, and I don't blame them. Then you got Wharcliffe North past Wonderland, the limit is 80 and people struggle here to actually get to 80, usually going 70. BUT, when the speed limit drops to 60 at Bradley, then everyone wants to go 80 or 90 all of a sudden. I don't get it.

Why drop limits if no one is going to enforce them or care?
This I agree with, far to many roads in the city have speed limits that make no sense at all. Add in very little or no enforcement, you have some people wanting to drive 80 in a 50 which is likely the correct speed and others going 65 to try and remain within the limits.

Hyde Park and Westdel Bourne both do this, randomly drops to a 50, should be 60 at minimum and most are driving closer to 80.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure