HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:46 AM

New Rochelle

I will be moving to New Rochelle from DC next month. I was looking at apartments there yesterday but I was curious about what is the Dec equivalent of New Rochelle? Clarendon or Silver Spring?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 11:53 AM

I don't think there's an exact equivalent. NR would have elements of Bethesda, Silver Spring and the Arlington Metro corridor neighborhoods. Like Bethesda, NR has some upscale, establishmentarian areas (Wykagel and waterfront areas), like Silver Spring, its very polyglot and mixed-income and has a bit of grit, like Arlington it serves somewhat as a more affordable, close-in, transit-oriented alternative to the core city.

The station will undergo a renovation/expansion in the coming years, so that will be nice. Also, there are a lot of downtown highrise developments planned and Iona University is expanding. A major linear park corridor is also in development.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I will be moving to New Rochelle from DC next month. I was looking at apartments there yesterday but I was curious about what is the Dec equivalent of New Rochelle? Clarendon or Silver Spring?
Welcome to the area. I’m too originally from the DC area but moved up here to NYC a while ago (28 yrs) but still have lots of family down in the DMV. I’d probably say that New Rochelle is probably the equivalent to Silver Spring, Rockville MD or Reston, Clarendon, etc VA is to DC. New Rochelle sits right next to I95 and you’re near Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers, NY and Greenwich, Stamford, CT (and many other town centers). Most people outside the NYC area don’t realize how big the metro area is up here especially when you consider that it encompasses 30 counties including the five inside NYC. Good luck 👍 with your move!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:24 PM

Westchester is most similar to Montgomery so I'd say that would be the DC-area equivalent. Easier to make county comparisons than city comparisons, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Westchester is most similar to Montgomery so I'd say that would be the DC-area equivalent. Easier to make county comparisons than city comparisons, IMO.
Agreed…..

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:41 PM

Thank you for your observations. I think in terms of demographics, Silver Spring might be most similar to New Rochelle and in its built form, there are similarities to Bethesda, Clarendon, and Silver Spring, as both of you noted above.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think there's an exact equivalent. NR would have elements of Bethesda, Silver Spring and the Arlington Metro corridor neighborhoods. Like Bethesda, NR has some upscale, establishmentarian areas (Wykagel and waterfront areas), like Silver Spring, its very polyglot and mixed-income and has a bit of grit, like Arlington it serves somewhat as a more affordable, close-in, transit-oriented alternative to the core city.

The station will undergo a renovation/expansion in the coming years, so that will be nice. Also, there are a lot of downtown highrise developments planned and Iona University is expanding. A major linear park corridor is also in development.
clearly you looked all this up, why not post your links?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 1:07 PM

NR is kind of lousy. It’s a city, so it has a lot of diversity: poor urban areas near downtown, nice suburban areas on the north side of the city, and a revitalized downtown.

I think that you would have liked Hoboken, NJ better.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Welcome to the region!

Yeah IDK the reason for the move, if for work or family or just starting somewhere new but I agree with the post above. Might want to check out NJ. Also not sure what job plans are but remember than you'll pay that city tax if you work within the 5-boroughs in addition to everything else. NJ with employment secured in NJ will net you more bang for the buck.

Also anywhere in Hudson or Bergen or even Essex County will give you a very good urban experience with access to a ton of things.

On a side note, White Plains NY is also a good option (IMO, better than New Rochelle). Just an idea.

If you have any questions on NJ 202_Cyclist, feel free to PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Welcome to the region!

Yeah IDK the reason for the move, if for work or family or just starting somewhere new but I agree with the post above. Might want to check out NJ. Also not sure what job plans are but remember than you'll pay that city tax if you work within the 5-boroughs in addition to everything else. NJ with employment secured in NJ will net you more bang for the buck.
Only NYC residents pay NYC income tax. I think Yonkers is the only other municipality in NYS that has an income tax.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 8:30 PM

Wow, a municipality income tax? I never knew!

It made me look it up to see if any California cities have a local income tax, and San Francisco is the only one, which levies a 0.38% income tax. I never knew that. ¡Chingado!

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions