HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 4:14 PM

17 most beautiful skylines

This list was compiled by Architectural Digest:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...s-in-the-world
Seems legit except I’m not sure how Milwaukee got in there…

Last edited by IluvATX; Jun 29, 2024 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 4:57 PM
Environmental Sabotage

In general I agree with many of those but the fact that Milwaukee is on that List and San Francisco isn't made it lose all credibility in my eyes. It also seems like to get on that list just put one of those mid-century observation towers somewhere in your skyline and you're all but guaranteed to make their list.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Jacksonville robbed again!

But seriously, Milwaukee????

And I actually really love Milwaukee.

But come on, man!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:08 PM

Milwaukee at least has some variety and the museum on the waterfront is cool. Perth is just Dubai 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:31 PM

Milwaukee has a nice mid-western skyline. But it's a very hard sell to put it at 15th best in the world and ahead of Toronto - and many other cities. It's good to see Panama City recognized because it doesn't get mentioned too much in skyline discussions.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:36 PM

LMAOOO! Whoever made this list must be from Milwaukee.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:36 PM

Here's the link to the OP. Proximity to Lake Michigan seems to be the reason it was ranked so high. Apparently Toronto doesn't get enough credit for being on Lake Ontario in addition to having a huge skyline.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Some of those skylines like Tokyo and Bangkok are quite impressive. But beautiful? To me beautiful means a pleasing arrangement of the buildings, quality of the architecture, and/or harmonious relationship with the surrounding setting. It doesn't need all of those factors but should have at least 2/3. Like with Panana, the architecture doesn't do anything for me but the arrangement of the buildings combined with the setting is beautiful. And KL has enough attractive prominent landmarks that it overcomes the haphazard arrangement. But a skyline that's just a large number of buildings with seemingly random arrangement and varying design quality? I don't personally see it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:50 PM
E pluribus unum

No Jacksonville and at least three other Midwest cities (Detroit, Cleveland, maybe Minneapolis or Cincinnati) presumably behind Milwaukee!?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's the link to the OP. Proximity to Lake Michigan seems to be the reason it was ranked so high. Apparently Toronto doesn't get enough credit for being on Lake Ontario in addition to having a huge skyline.

Thanks for the link. I added it to the headline.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:07 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'd replace several of those with absent skylines that should be included. For starters I'd remove Tokyo, Perth, Bangkok, Singapore, Auckland and Milwaukee and add Melbourne, Doha, La Defense, London, and SF.

And yes Milwaukee is absolutely perplexing. There are so many other US cities that could have held that spot. LA, SF, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Boston, and Pittsburgh, and Philly all make more compelling cases. Not hating on it as it's perfectly fine, but 15th the in the world is wild.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post

And yes Milwaukee is absolutely perplexing. There are so many other US cities that could have held that spot. LA, SF, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Boston, and Pittsburgh, and Philly all make more compelling cases. Not hating on it as it's perfectly fine, but 15th the in the world is wild.
Even if you just wanted to limit it to great lakes cities, Toronto would be WAY ahead of Milwaukee.

Milwaukee's skyline is very nice, but if we're being real, it's barely even a rounding error compared to a major league skyline like Toronto.

And I think most honest assessments would have Milwaukee's skyline at 5th in the great lakes, obviously WAY behind Chicago and Toronto, and also in back of Detroit and Cleveland.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 29, 2024 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:28 PM
Resu Deretsiger

The top 17? Trying to stand out on a search engine I see.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 7:07 PM
Doc Love 3.0

There’s really no metrics it’s a subjective but fun topic. Perspective, preference and weight of opinions matter to a degree. I agree with some others I think have great skylines but I think Detroit or Cleveland could easily be up there with or instead of Milwaukee. I think in to be fair to all regions (though Brazil is conspicuously missing, Rio has a great one) and well rounded leave some in the lurch.

I to think New York and Chicagos skylines are my model of ideal. The large critical mass of density Chicago has in the loop and extending along the shore while NYC has that critical mass all across most of the boroughs except with Statan Island and part of Queens being outliers. The mix of art deco and modern skyscrapers is my preference. I also give more points for art deco skyscrapers because of their rarity globally and domestically in numbers outside of a few cities.

Imo Detroit looking south from height has a great skyline. Cleveland doesn’t have as many tall art deco but it’s on Lake Erie which is gains it points. I get Milwaukee getting points due to it building some revolutionary skyscrapers having art deco & being on Lake Michigan which gets points for setting as it has one of the most beautiful shores and water color up there with Maimi in water setting points (Chicago would be my first choice to make the comparison but Milwaukee shouldn’t be forgotten).

Gil Scott Heron - We almost lost Detroit - 1966 Fermi 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNUqNe0U5g

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 7:32 PM

I always dismiss the never ending supply of click bait city lists. Yes, I'm looking at you WalletHub and LawnStarter. But this is from Architectural Digest which offers some legitimacy. I spent a couple minutes Googling the author to see if there was a Milwaukee connection, but it appears she grew up in Indiana. A mid-west bias is a possibility, but where is Indianapolis on the list?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 8:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

probably a placeholder while spending time googling some foreign cities, and forgot to replace...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 8:53 PM

I wouldn't have put Tokyo that high either. In terms of beauty, Busan, South Korea probably deserves a spot over Tokyo and Seoul.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 10:49 PM

Meh, they all badly lack that famous antenna and style.

2405_Eiffel by mousquet, sur Flickr

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 11:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Why top 17? Why Milwaukee, Perth, or Tianjin above objectively better skylines within each of those countries?

These AI-generated listicles are getting out of control.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 1:51 AM
E pluribus unum

Cleveland forces you to pay attention to it by the sheer domination of its three or four tallest buildings (including Sherwin Williams) but it's behind Detroit for me for the mix of art deco (Penobscot et all), modern/international (Renaissance Center), postmodern (Ally Detroit) and whatever the hell we're calling the current vernacular (Hudsons)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions