HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 8:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Cassette Commons [119 Ryan Reynolds Way 2900 Brian Coburn Blvd] | 18m | 6f | Proposed

Broadstreet Properties Inc. is proposing to develop a six storey mixed use building containing a total of 121 units and a 375m2 Medical Facility on the ground floor at 119 Ryan Reynolds Way and 2900 Brian Coburn Boulevard. The unit mix includes one-, two- and three bedroom units. A full 18% of the units are three bedroom. The units have a balcony or ground level terrace as private open space. There are communal amenity areas throughout the site, including a dog run and community garden.

A network of pathways is provided for pedestrian circulation throughout the site and to the broader public realm. Pedestrian accesses are provided from both street frontages. Extensive pathways connect through the parking lot to all building entrances. A total of 66 bicycle parking spaces are provided, 32 are on the surface and close to the building entry and the remainder are in the secure underground parking.

Vehicular access is from Brian Coburn Boulevard to a surface parking lot and underground parking. A total of 155 parking spaces are proposed, 122 for the residential tenants, 24 for visitors and 9 for the medical facility.

Architect: Abele Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...4-0087/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 9:28 PM

Definitely like this proposal. I do however hope that it helps push the city to look at that traffic circle at Mer Blue and Brian Colburn. There are accidents almost daily, no pedestrian signalling and a very high volume of traffic.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 1:40 PM

Nice proposal. Really out of character for the area, in a good way. Interesting they purchased one sf residential lot for, a dog run? Good pedestrian links on the property, including I assume from Ryan Reynolds.

Does that medical facility take up all of the commercial space? Do we know exactly what will go there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMug View Post
Definitely like this proposal. I do however hope that it helps push the city to look at that traffic circle at Mer Blue and Brian Colburn. There are accidents almost daily, no pedestrian signalling and a very high volume of traffic.
Brian Coburn sounds like (yet another) failed suburban experiment. That parking lot entrance/exit might be problematic. It's the only one on the road.

Last edited by J.OT13; Sep 3, 2024 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:14 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMug View Post
What do you mean by no pedestrian signalling? There are crosswalks and cars are supposed to yield. That's exactly how a roundabout works. In theory anyways.

We could really use some more raised intersections/crosswalks here. Just got back from a month in Europe and raised crosswalks and intersections are quite normal and you only ignore about one of those before realizing you actually have to pay attention while driving as your undercarriage/suspension screams in horror.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
What do you mean by no pedestrian signalling? There are crosswalks and cars are supposed to yield. That's exactly how a roundabout works. In theory anyways.

We could really use some more raised intersections/crosswalks here. Just got back from a month in Europe and raised crosswalks and intersections are quite normal and you only ignore about one of those before realizing you actually have to pay attention while driving as your undercarriage/suspension screams in horror.
I don't really trust drivers at roundabouts, so those new crosswalks with the flashing lights the City has been installing (Somerset at Dundonald Park for example) should be included at all turning circles.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:42 AM
Mooderator

Ryan Reynolds Way.. ugh.

Is there a community dead pool..

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 3:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Ryan Reynolds Way.. ugh.

Is there a community dead pool..
It always strikes me how Ontario always names stuff for people who are still alive.

Pretty sure Brian Coburn (former local politician) is still alive as well.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It always strikes me how Ontario always names stuff for people who are still alive.

Pretty sure Brian Coburn (former local politician) is still alive as well.
It's such an awful practice, and risky.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:49 PM

Jeffrey Epstein place?

Seriously, there is a huge risk whenever we name anything after a person (alive or dead)

Even 200 years later I doubt the name "Dundas" means anything to anybody alive but all of a sudden its controversial in Toronto. We will soon run out of bird and tree names!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 9:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

UNESCO recommends against naming stuff for people still alive. Most places follow this rule. Quebec does for sure.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Nice proposal. Really out of character for the area, in a good way. Interesting they purchased one sf residential lot for, a dog run? Good pedestrian links on the property, including I assume from Ryan Reynolds.

Does that medical facility take up all of the commercial space? Do we know exactly what will go there?

Brian Coburn sounds like (yet another) failed suburban experiment. That parking lot entrance/exit might be problematic. It's the only one on the road.
Same builder for the entire portion of the subdivision. The remainder is townhomes. I'm assuming it's dumping residents onto Brian Coburn as the access point will be further from the traffic circle than it would be on Mer Blue. Not sure if everyone is aware but the only access to the Health Hub is off of Mer Blue and northbound only. A lot of U turns north of the Hub and half trips around the traffic circle south of it to exit or access the site. I'm sure it was planned this way but considering who uses the facility there should be more than one way in and out.

It's Orleans so it'll be a dentist office.

Yes Brian Coburn is a failed experiment. The city built a two lane road when four lanes and cycling infrastructure should've been built from day one. This has created the mess that is the intersection with 10th Line as well as the mess at that roundabout. There are no pedestrian flashing lights and while yes pedestrians have right of way when drivers are trying to squeeze through and traffic is heavy the last thing they are watching for is someone on foot or cycling. The accidents I saw were both of that nature. To compound the stupidity, they built four traffic circles after the initial build that will have to be ripped out and rebuilt along with two others whenever they decide to add in the two missing lanes and the boulevard. Of note, local MPP Stephen Blais lives in the neighbourhood and likely had an impact in his time as a councilor on this roadway and it's design and subsequent changes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs