HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:20 PM

Long term repercussions from Covid-19 what will they be?

When this virus is finally gone what do you think the long term repercussions from this experience will be? Could it mean:

Changes in immigration and trade policy especially from places like China due to how the virus was handled, the bullying with detained Canadians and Canadian farm products trade and the theft of North American intellectual properties?

The collapse of the European Union due to their open border policy and the Italian debt crisis?

A great recession or even depression with the amount of personal and governmental debt loads being taken on from this crisis once interest rates go back up?

The airline industry possibly never being the same again and maybe a change in focus for a North American high speed rail network instead?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:23 PM

A minor recession then back to normal (that's my best guess at this point; I may be wrong, no one can tell what exactly will be happening.)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Even more cocooning.

Social distancing as a permanent thing.

Potential serious impacts on bars and other places people socialize.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:41 PM

The living will envy the dead.

(Too soon, perhaps?)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
A minor recession then back to normal (that's my best guess at this point; I may be wrong, no one can tell what exactly will be happening.)
Probably, or a severe recession then back to normal. Plus probably a large increase in funding for health authorities that will be dropped in a few years. China will hopefully modernize some of its bad practises and continue its rise.

The world needs a shake up, hopefully this is bad enough that it burns away a lot of the rotten undergrowth. If not, then we'll have to wait for something worse sometime down the line.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

(Too soon, perhaps?)
I lol'ed. The only thing worse than dying from a plague is living through one lol.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I lol'ed. The only thing worse than dying from a plague is living through one lol.
The fear-based irrationality is fascinating to watch unfold. It reminds us of the thin veneer that keeps it all together.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:00 PM
I am a typical

Maybe people will finally wash their hands after they shit?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:06 PM

- More work-from-home opportunities being developed.
- More automated services introduced in the service industry
- More social isolation
- (short-term) A REAL Change of Canadian government that represents working tax payers
- More focus on Tech as a leading industry in Canada.
- More focus on stimulating the economy outside of the service industry and Tourism nationally.

Just some of my predictions.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Maybe people will finally wash their hands after they shit?
Such an optimist!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:16 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Depends how long it lasts, depends how bad it gets.

If China is any indication, things could be more-or-less under control and back to normal by summer. If that happens I think there will be a mini boom in commercial activity (especially in entertainment, restaurants, clubs, etc) and tourism as the pent up demand and cooped-up, bored populace is unleashed.

It'll be a learning opportunity for health agencies to refine their epidemic protocols, just as SARS was for us 17 years ago.

Hopefully China will consider tighter controls on the consumption and trade of bats and pangolins (the likely origin of this and other similar viruses). I think this will also lead to much stronger agitation for public health care in the US.

Otherwise, not too much will change (hopefully).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:24 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even more cocooning.

Social distancing as a permanent thing.

Potential serious impacts on bars and other places people socialize.

I think the opposite. The more that people are forced to stay home and isolate and become bored and lonely, the more they'll crave and understand the value of the company of others. As I mentioned above, if things are better by the summer it'll go down as one of the funnest, liveliest, most party-filled summers ever.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic here, but I think this could all act as something of a worldwide bonding experience. We'll all be happy when it's over.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:

(Too soon, perhaps?)
You might joke but I am struggling with my understanding of the global economy.

From what I understand we have every reason to suspect there "might/possibly/potentially/theoretically" be a collapse of our economic system.

My understanding of currencies is that they are more less a system of IOU's where value is enforced by confidence in that currency.

This IOU system, tends to fall apart quite rapidly in economic systems that are not as substantial as our own.

The problem with this virus is that India/Africa may not be able to cope due to over population and extreme lack of sanitation. Not to mention sentiments that start reflecting a certain amount of inevitability with this outbreak. If herd immunity becomes the only practical option than we might be in some real trouble.

There's lots of room for miscalculation with this type of complexity. There is an obvious scenario where their economies disappear from our frame of reference.

In this scenario you can imagine world leaders trying to freeze all currency markets and begin pegging pricing to prexisting values.

I.e. a box of kraft diner is frozen at $2 a box.

What seems like simple government intervention could break down rather quickly. As we rely on market shifts to properly allocate resources.

We take for granted that market forces determine the value and we as the consumers have the final say.

What happens if consumers loose faith in fixed pricing?

If we have mass unemployment what value does new housing, cars, and other non essentials have? If we have some sort of fixed pricing people might loose confidence in this entire system altogether.

At that point you have a rapid devaluation in the value of that currency. If nobody wants cars and everyone wants food, yet prices are fixed money becomes worthless.

If that occurs we'll devolve into a command economy where governments take control of our resources and start telling people what they are making. For all effective purposes we have lost our democracy as we know it.

With a breakdown in democratic systems you can easily imagine breakdowns in public trust. Why should a farmer be forced to give up his food when it is in such high demand.

Ironically the 1% percenters in our food supply could turn into the default super rich as all other nonessential goods loose value. This in turn creates hording and other break downs in trade. Governments are no longer seen as legitimates but proxies for the fascist elites, or vice versa the spoiled technocrats.

This will of course work itself out in several years years but in the short time we could see mass food shortages as our overly complex just in time food supply collaspes.

People simply do not understand how complex our food production is and how little excess their truly is.

We have endless amounts of land, especially if we stop wasting crop land on livestock. However food only grows so quickly and if all our off season producers of food refuse to do business with us we can't bump up our food supply until Octoberish 2021.

In short grow local will supersede all other systems causing people to fulfill their local food needs first. Food poor regions like Canada will suffer a temporary famine some time in 2021.

And there's a lot of evidence to suggest this "may be a possibility".

You can look at human history, you can look at the engineered famines of the Soviet Union, China etc.

You can look at the more obvious data which was the potential for the 2008 financial crisis to collapse into a depression. If someone tells you that wasn't a "possibility" you weren't paying attention.

Obviously current day situations are radically different. We really can't know much about anything right now as the level of complexity on this planet is completely beyond our comprehension. All our assumptions about how the world works are currently in freefall.

We simply do not know and you can't assume government coercion can really do anything other than make it worst. We have no case study for this that looks good.

If you are a westerner this entire topic is literally foreign. You've lived through your entire life "relatively" protected from even the thought of such thing occurring. But if your well versed in international politics or history you know these types of localized events are incredibly common.

Obviously we are different we are far better developed than a lot of these case studies, the only contrast to this is the fast that this is a deeply globalized event, and our default defense is intense isolation.

We don't know how things may work out.

And whatever political orientation you have there is room for concern.

If you're a right winger your defense of capitalism is paramount to your understanding of society prosperity and stability.

If you're a left winger you believe the system is already corrupt and if we resort to fascist economic policies you might assume this system will only favor the rich elites and will end up leaving the poor to starve.

If you're a centrist you're equally screwed because your entire basis for understanding society is based on appreciating the status quo. When the status quo breaks down your frame of reference and ability to understand the world is gone.

Keep in mind I'm spit balling here, no one knows what to expect. Just keep in mind I'm autistic and am relatively obsessed with the magic of our industrial society. I have a unique appreciation for as it is a hobby. I'm certainty not an expert, but I prone to have insight just because of my poor understandings of things. Keeping in mind in radical situations a solid proportion of experts tend to end up being categorically wrong.

Regardless in any scenario I don't give two fucks. I'm going home. Either I spent this summer playing video games and building my father a cabin on my families land, or I'll spend this summer farming(this is more of a hobby tbh) the land that has been in my family for 130 years. I'm from a place where there are 2-3 moose per person. If things get bad in the next few weeks I may be heading to the mountains to build an icehouse for the preservation of moose meat if poaching becomes a thing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Probably, or a severe recession then back to normal. Plus probably a large increase in funding for health authorities that will be dropped in a few years. China will hopefully modernize some of its bad practises and continue its rise.

The world needs a shake up, hopefully this is bad enough that it burns away a lot of the rotten undergrowth. If not, then we'll have to wait for something worse sometime down the line.
I fear this once-for-all marks the decline of western democracy.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
The fear-based irrationality is fascinating to watch unfold. It reminds us of the thin veneer that keeps it all together.
The same feeling one gets watching a Trump rally.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 5:00 PM

In the US the Trump administration will likely be re-elected. The spin doctors will work overtime to frame this as a "China did this to us. All foreigners need to be stopped." The US will become more isolationist.

China has been building strong relationships on multiple fronts in Asia, Africa and Europe. Countries will increasingly be forced to pick between the two.

Many people who were forced into work-from-home will discover they actual like it. That is going to drive a variety of social changes and urban planning changes.

Some of the smaller airlines will be out of business.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 5:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some positive changes that I hope will happen:

- Canadian labour laws are updated with minimum sick time and it should not be legal to ask employees for a doctor's note when they take those days off.
- China and other countries improve sanitation standards, reducing transmission of disease from animals to humans.
- Countries invest in better screening infrastructure and close off borders faster when the next pandemic hits.
- The US reforms its health care system so that services that significantly impact general public health (vaccination, screening) are free.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 5:09 PM

I say the stock market continues to drop to Dow under 18,000. A complete destruction of our tourism industry and service industry. Just the oil price drop would have caused a recession. This will be the largest stock market crash in history once the US calls the martial law. This virus will cancel any economic recovery in 2020. Canada will still be in lockdown in May.

If you hope for a small recession, everything should already be fixed, we are not even 25% into the crisis.

worst case scenario, equivalent or worse than in 1929-1933.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 5:17 PM
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVKZH_tD-Q

For a crash course in what may happen watch this.

EDIT: I think Trump is a phenomenal and greatest president there has ever been.

But we all know he's a narcissist, who loves poewr.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 5:24 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

For the consideration of you doomsday preppers: the 1918-19 Spanish flu killed a full 3% of the world's population (and unlike this, particularly hit healthy, working age adults) - and yet most of the world not only avoided calamity, it even then preceded a massive economic boom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada