HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 9:59 PM
National Capital Region

Centrepointe Collective [19 Centrepointe Dr] | 65+72m | 21+23f | U/C

Developer: Richcraft
Architect: Roderick Lahey
Planning Consultant: FoTenn

Not sure if it's 22/24 or 24/26..... there are references to both sets of numbers

Proposed residential condominium development on a 3 storey townhouse podium that includes a restaurant (cafe) use with 2 residential towers 26 and 24 storeys in height (including podium element)\

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8UV7EU

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Awesome!

Do like the top part. It's about time, there are tall (rather semi-tall) tower proposals for that area. Of course, the two main assets, being close to Algonquin and an intensification right near a transit station. I'm sure there will be some NIMBYISM on that project and probably something will be written on the Bulldog.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 1:37 AM

That area reminds me of the growing city centre in Thornhill. With these towers it'll look like it even more.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 2:03 AM

now that's a proper-looking townhouse podium and point towers (for pure-residential, not mix use, of course, then the podium should be different..,), anyway, why has it been so hard to design some of these in this town? (and it's not a developer-specific thing, because Richcraft's Galleria site would have been a great location for townhouse-point-towers instead of the two massive slabs they built).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 2:47 AM

It would be great to see these so close to a transit hub. Precisely what's needed.

I wonder when the other elements of the 2007 Centrepointe plan will be implemented.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 5:58 PM

It is what's needed, in a big way - and the influx of population will probably spur new funding for the Baseline Station completion (Bob Chiarelli, are you there?)...
However, I see these towers being brought down to a stubby 12 storeys at the urging of impacted neighbours. And those neighbours won't be college students renting basement apartments on Baseline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
It is what's needed, in a big way - and the influx of population will probably spur new funding for the Baseline Station completion (Bob Chiarelli, are you there?)...
However, I see these towers being brought down to a stubby 12 storeys at the urging of impacted neighbours. And those neighbours won't be college students renting basement apartments on Baseline.
I don't think the shadows from these buildings could possible touch another residential property so what could people be complaining about? If they're worried about traffic then they should move. Situating this type of development along two major arterials as well as adjacent to a major transit hub is ideal. Not to mention it is walking distance to Algonquin and a big shopping centre. This will be a great addition to the area.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I don't think the shadows from these buildings could possible touch another residential property so what could people be complaining about?
Astronomical reality has never, to my knowledge, prevented an Entitled Ottawan from bitching about shadows, real or imagined. On one of the media reports about the Preston project (CBC? Citizen?) someone was whinging that the Italia tower would keep Preston street in shadow all day.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 3:13 AM

While it sounds like myself and some others are knee-jerking this coming NIMBY outcry, the truth is: if any part of the building is visible at any time of year from a private residence, then that's a quality of life issue. Looming towers, and all that.

If at any point of the day at any time of the year a shadow encroaches even one inch onto said property - that's permanent shade and no blue sky. Vitamin D, etc. Sad, but I've seen it countless times for buildings even three storeys tall. Luckily, with this council and the location - which has little residential encroachment and is near all those good things, something close to this will be built.

It will just be annoying as the community group fights it tooth and nail. And I'd love to be proven wrong by a wall of silence from the Centrepointe neighbourhood, I really would.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 12:10 PM

i always pictured centrepointe becoming a secondary cbd/residential high density area akin to scarborough or north york. it's the perfect spot for it. hopefully this is the first of many nice high density projects in this area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 6:22 PM

I'm really pleased.

The facing side of Centrepointe Drive has a nice urban feel to it, with closely packed town homes and some nice walk-up businesses down the street. Kind of brownstone-like. But the other side of the street faces the solid back wall of a high school, and ... nothing. This will help to give the street a bit more of a feeling of completion and consistency.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I'm really pleased.

The facing side of Centrepointe Drive has a nice urban feel to it, with closely packed town homes and some nice walk-up businesses down the street. Kind of brownstone-like. But the other side of the street faces the solid back wall of a high school, and ... nothing. This will help to give the street a bit more of a feeling of completion and consistency.
Speaking of which, why did the school boards start building such ugly, street-killing, neighbourhood-deadening schools?

Compare, say, the schools on Broadview Avenue, to bunkers like Lester B. Pearson.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Speaking of which, why did the school boards start building such ugly, street-killing, neighbourhood-deadening schools?

Compare, say, the schools on Broadview Avenue, to bunkers like Lester B. Pearson.
I blame Bauhaus and Le Corbusier for making it so easy to copy their designs badly/cheaply. Machines for learning?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I'm really pleased.

I agree. I live off Centrepointe and I think this project will really improve the neighbourhood. Though based on the meeting that I attended last week on this project, I may be in the minority.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
I agree. I live off Centrepointe and I think this project will really improve the neighbourhood. Though based on the meeting that I attended last week on this project, I may be in the minority.
I'm also in Centrepointe, and I agree with you.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Just to make it easier for everyone to see... thanks for finding the links!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:45 PM
Citizen-at-large

Really nice street-level interaction!

I think if one takes developments like this in context, looking at the forest (what projects ultimately are being proposed and approved now vs. 15 years ago) rather than focusing on the trees (NIMBY reactions to individual projects, suburplosive requests of developers in the suburbs) we are starting to see how amalgamation is actually working at what I always thought would be its greatest purpose: allowing for a planning vison for the city as a whole to flourish, and specifically a planning vision focused on intensification.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Just to make it easier for everyone to see... thanks for finding the links!

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 2:06 AM

Excellent proposal being near Baseline Station. While some NIMBYism might be expected, there is already higher-density commercial and institutional in the area. APPROVE it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa