HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:06 PM

Toronto - Queens Quay

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 10:18 PM

Toronto is so incredibly ugly. Why did the give all these new builings the same colour? A nightmare in grey-blue-turquoise.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 10:56 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
Toronto is so incredibly ugly. Why did the give all these new builings the same colour? A nightmare in grey-blue-turquoise.

This is an industrial area that is part of a huge redeveloped to turn it into urban neighbourhoods. Still a work in progress and hardly representative of "Toronto".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...tudy-says.html

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:46 PM

Suprisingly busy given its basically a giant constructon zone.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:50 PM
forutono

scratch that

Last edited by DGodin; May 9, 2015 at 1:56 PM. Reason: oopsy

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:54 PM
forutono

Quote:
Of course you are entitled to your opinion keeping in mind it is only an opinion, mine is very different than that. I think the buildings are in keeping with each other much like following a theme. Perhaps architects and developers are doing it by design to match the bluish waterfront location that is this area. A common design criterion for architects is the principle of blending-in in some fashion with the surroundings, or at least to not gaudily clash with the neighbourhood. Or maybe it is just coincidence given the preponderance of glass cladding in this era of skyscraper building design. I do believe that a few well-placed, significantly tall, and contrasting colour buildings MAY add a great deal to the look of this local skyline, especially if they have a really creative shape as well. In the meantime I get off on the different shapes (or lines) of these buildings as well as the variety of balcony placements on the elevations, the sheer height of these monoliths and yes subtle colour variations, which is admittedly an acquired taste, not readily apparent with a casual glance. Outdoor lighting does play a big part in the look of these buildings as well, which can and does change often depending on the time of day and weather, as many among us already know. One just needs to look north of Gardner Expressway at the Bay & King Street area to see a good contrast of skyscraper building colours that seem to work well together.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:35 PM
forutono

Quote:
To me this area is another great example of man-made or rather human-made beauty and functionality in modern built structures. In a word awesome. Thanks MIIAIIRIIK for a wonderful picture montage of Queens Quay.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 8:50 PM

This area of the city is not exactly pulchritudinous. One can only hope it improves with time.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 3:11 AM
forutono

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
This area of the city is not exactly pulchritudinous. One can only hope it improves with time.
“Pulchritudinous” great word, I know I had to look it up. I luuuv learning new words, really, I’m serious and not kidding. This one was kinda tough though, not much progeny so far, in time that might change. Maybe you are starting something, maybe one day we will see that word on the cover of a high-end cereal box. Imagine: “the beautiful or pulchritudinous flake” of corn or spelt or whatever.

BTW and more to the point when I said “awesome” in post #7 in this context I am writing about the perhaps purer form of the word thinking about the achievement of constructing these things and the change that has transformed this area so far. To me there is beauty in that and indeed there seems to be a lot of tourists that like to take pictures of this waterfront area. Sure there is always room or hope for improvements and the “Daniels Waterfront-City of the Arts” is one development that is now under way will add to the “flow of the glow” if you will - see the excavator on the right side of the second picture at the beginning of this tread for its (C. of the A.) location. I think we are doing pretty well in the spectrum between third world slums on one end and Dubai, Shanghai or Hong Kong on the other; Singapore is certainly nice. I believe it is true that North America is generally more conservative in world building design and we could use more Avant guard or cutting edge architecture as a contrast. There are some really amazing structures being built on the globe now and Toronto is in a good position to occasionally contribute to that kind of thing. At least more than it already is doing, but I maintain that TO still “has it going” and overall is a great place.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 5:04 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Great shots mate!

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 6:05 AM
Meh

Nice. It looks like the weather is good for a bike ride.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos