HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:44 AM

Boston in January -- ain't she beautiful??

Nah, not really. But hey, I gotta live through this damn polar vortex so why not snap pictures of it!

Oh so lovely...

Now we take a tour through my favorite neighborhood, the ridiculously charming Bay Village:

The new guy:

Another new guy, this one at the beginning of posh Newbury Street:

And another new guy:

Of course it's hard to focus on it when you have this awesomeballz solarium next door...

But back to the new tower guy:

Quick interlude: I spotted some of those No Pants on the subway people (of course not on the subway):

Gutting our big old department store building downtown, aka Filene's:

OK now it's time to leave for sunnier climes...

But first let's take one last look at my fair city:

Thanks for viewing! If you liked then please check out my other recent threads:

--September & October
--November
--December

Last edited by kznyc2k; Feb 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:03 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

The polar vortex made Boston even prettier. Fantastic tour, very complete, you covered many areas of this beautiful city. Thanks a lot!

Bay village neighbourhood with its red brick buildings and houses is lovely. Such a quiet place to live at of have a walk around! Besides, with its decoration for Christmas is so nice...

I´ve liked your aerial shots from the plane too, showing the city covered by snow.

Yes, Boston is so lovely... It has something special.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:08 PM

Nah man, she looks beautiful to me. Boston wears snow very nicely

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:10 PM
Editor

Very pretty indeed!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:14 PM
Pacific Wonderland

No pants on the subway people? pls explain

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:54 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow. GREAT set. I love Boston so much. I can't believe how dense and mature and photogenic it is. I have never even been there. Someday; When I DO go, I want to be there for about 1 week so I can hit up some different areas and really do a lot of sightseeing. Cheers!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:39 PM

Looks pretty good to me!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:14 PM

Your overcast Boston pictures are much better than any "sunny day" photos I've seen of Boston. Such a great moody atmosphere, I'd love to know what you are doing in post to get that effect (cause I know it doesn't come straight out of the camera).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsand View Post
Your overcast Boston pictures are much better than any "sunny day" photos I've seen of Boston. Such a great moody atmosphere, I'd love to know what you are doing in post to get that effect (cause I know it doesn't come straight out of the camera).
First three pictures (which are in overcast conditions) have ambiguous subject. The pic with Brighton High School in the background isn't really a picture of the high school, or is it a pic of the bit of tree and fence in the foreground. The residential street scene is similar--the most prominent thing in the pic is the back of an ordinary white car but it's not a picture of a car because there's so much else in the view-- telephone wires, trees, apartment buildings--but none of those things is really the focus of the pic. That's what I notice about those "moody" pictures.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quabbin View Post
First three pictures (which are in overcast conditions) have ambiguous subject. The pic with Brighton High School in the background isn't really a picture of the high school, or is it a pic of the bit of tree and fence in the foreground. The residential street scene is similar--the most prominent thing in the pic is the back of an ordinary white car but it's not a picture of a car because there's so much else in the view-- telephone wires, trees, apartment buildings--but none of those things is really the focus of the pic. That's what I notice about those "moody" pictures.
Well to each his own, but I have a fairly artistic background and thus tend to pay more attention to shapes, color grading, patterns - that kind of thing. Pictures that overemphasize "subject" at the expense of these other things are boring to me. A subject is a subject, and that's pretty much all there is tp it. You see it once and there is no reason to look again. A picture that focuses on more elemental aspects can be endlessly fascinating to look at.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:12 PM

Great tour - I like the jumble of forms - shows the city as the chaotic place it is.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 4:34 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

amazing aerials!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 5:24 PM

Great shots! Always nice to see Bay Village.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Hey man, thanks! Which overcast pictures are you talking about? The ones at the beginning have nothing more than a little vignetting added, while the Bay Village shots have some vignetting plus a very mild brown-green filter I created specifically for grey wintery days like those. Is that what you're talking about?

But by and large, the only editing I do is light level stuff...you know, make sure the blacks are black and the whites are bright. Add maybe a touch of vignetting and that's enough for me!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Hey man, thanks! Which overcast pictures are you talking about? The ones at the beginning have nothing more than a little vignetting added, while the Bay Village shots have some vignetting plus a very mild brown-green filter I created specifically for grey wintery days like those. Is that what you're talking about?

But by and large, the only editing I do is light level stuff...you know, make sure the blacks are black and the whites are bright. Add maybe a touch of vignetting and that's enough for me!
Well there's not a whole lot in this particular set. You did one of the Bowker overpass in the rain that kinda stood out to me. It was a bit back though, maybe a year ago. There have been some others that were similar, though I like the sunny day stuff too, with the more vibrant colors.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Well there's not a whole lot in this particular set. You did one of the Bowker overpass in the rain that kinda stood out to me. It was a bit back though, maybe a year ago. There have been some others that were similar, though I like the sunny day stuff too, with the more vibrant colors.
Sorry to get back so late, but which shot are you talking about?

or...

Either way, both were just "presets" aka filters for Lightroom. I was pretty new to the program then and I was relying on filters for any and all effects.

The first one killed all yellow saturation while adding blue-purple color toning to both the highlights and shadows and pushing the reds more towards magenta. It's one of those filters that's super weird and only works for maybe 1% of the shots you'll take, but when it does... And the second shot has a relatively straightforward yellow-green filter...nothing too mysterious there.

PS that first shot is a personal fave. I absolutely love how it turned out!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The density is incredible from the air.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 6:24 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Helluva tour kz. So many different types of pics, and thanks for the aerials. Great set.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos