HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:43 PM

Vista on Sparks [412 Sparks St] | 64m | 18f | U/C

Toronto developer eyes 18-storey retirement home on Sparks Street

https://obj.ca/article/toronto-devel...-sparks-street

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 6:54 PM

Lots of retirement homes going up. At least 4 off the top of my head proposed or under-construction (Carling, Bank, Wellington, and this). Any others?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 6:55 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Only scanned the article quickly. Does this replace the once planned office tower?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Only scanned the article quickly. Does this replace the once planned office tower?
Yes, and Windmill does not seem to be involved.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:21 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Lots of retirement homes going up. At least 4 off the top of my head proposed or under-construction (Carling, Bank, Wellington, and this). Any others?
Ones that I know of under construction are Trim/Innes and Tenth Line/Jeanne D'arc in Orleans, One in Kanata, and one about to start on Hunt Club beside the Airport Pkwy. 3 out of the 4 are Claridges' Riverstone Ritirement Brand. They are also proposing at least 4 more.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 9:44 PM

There will be big demand for them in the coming decades. Although that demand may sink in 20-30 years after the boomers die off; I would hope that the current projects are designed to allow for conversion to regular apartments down the line.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
There will be big demand for them in the coming decades. Although that demand may sink in 20-30 years after the boomers die off; I would hope that the current projects are designed to allow for conversion to regular apartments down the line.
The Echo generation will keep most of them in good business.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:09 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

https://obj.ca/article/toronto-devel...-sparks-street

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Mar 18, 2019 1:56pm EDT

A Toronto-based developer has announced plans to build an 18-storey retirement residence on a prime piece of downtown real estate owned by the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa.

Reichmann Seniors Housing Development Corp. is leasing the property at 412 Sparks St. from the Cathedral Hill Foundation, a joint venture between the diocese and Christ Church Cathedral, which sits next door to the proposed new highrise. According to company officials, the residence is expected to include 152 rental units and will offer amenities such as exercise rooms, a formal dining room, an indoor swimming pool and a chapel.

Project manager Victoria Lucas said the proposal exceeds current height limits for the site by about 12 metres and the property must be rezoned to permit a retirement residence. Pending city approval, she said, the developer hopes to put shovels in the ground in the second half of 2020.

Cathedral Hill Foundation chair Barbara Gagne called the proposal a “lovely fit” for the site, which is surrounded by the cathedral and other heritage buildings but has served as a parking lot since a house on the property was demolished in 1993.

“It’s a (proposal for a) more residential community and not just another office tower that closes up at 5 o’clock,” she said.

The not-for-profit organization was set up in 2010 to provide a “stable, long-term revenue stream” for the cathedral and diocese by encouraging development on church-owned land on Sparks Street between Bay Street and Bronson Avenue, Gagne said.

That same year, the foundation inked an agreement with Ottawa-based Windmill Developments, which built a 21-storey condo tower and a smaller four-storey condo building on the western portion of the property. But the developer’s plans for a 14-storey office tower at 412 Sparks St. ultimately fell through, opening the door for Reichmann’s proposal.

“We’ve been at this a long time to make sure that we did it right and found the right partners,” said Gagne.

Revenue the foundation earns from developers is split evenly between the cathedral and the diocese. The money goes toward maintaining the historic church, which opened in 1873, and funding diocese-sponsored initiatives such as running community ministries and assisting refugees, she added.

Gagne said as attendance at traditional religious services continues to dwindle, churches must find new ways of supporting their congregations and surrounding communities.

“We’ve got a very large, active role within the city,” she said. “We have to be responsible to look for other places to supply the revenues that we need to keep moving."

http://www.obj.ca/article/toronto-de...-sparks-street

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:21 PM

I hope these buildings turn out better than Windmill's Cathedral Hill tower did. It ended up looking nothing like the renderings, and resembles the Claridge Tribeca crappy towers a little too much.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I hope these buildings turn out better than Windmill's Cathedral Hill tower did. It ended up looking nothing like the renderings, and resembles the Claridge Tribeca crappy towers a little too much.
I love how Cathedral Hill turned out... Maybe I'm in the minority. I think it looks great on the skyline from the West.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 7:01 PM

Cathedral Hill is definitely unique. No complaints, but glad it's the only one.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:09 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 5:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

412 Sparks St | 64m | 18f | U/C

The applicant (Reichmann Seniors Housing) plans to construct an 18-storey retirement residence at 412 Sparks Street. Hobin Architecture is the designer.

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__ADRZI8

Site:

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 6:18 PM

Nothing spectacular, but I like it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:47 PM

This looks decent enough...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:46 PM

Certainly isn't overly exciting, but it's not terrible either.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:24 AM

yeah, this is fine. A bit imposing on the view from Portage, but i think the light colours help mask that. The Raddisson it's blocking is reflagging to holiday inn.

The ped path to the west is eventually going to connect the Garden of the Provinces and Territories (Sparks street) to Laurier through various escarpment district improvements. Hopefully the owner of queen towers sees the value in redeveloping soon.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:30 PM

Pretty decent looking development. Nothing special, but with the right materials, it could still be a good addition. Anything designed by Hobin usually turns out well.

Though the building does look a bit chunky from Portage and Zibi, Clardige Moon should counterbalance.

One thing I'm concerned about is the lack or retail in this and most buildings between the CBD and the escarpment. If we expect people to walk from work to the new library, you need something in between to make the walk livelier.

If this development and Cathedral Hill would have included retail, combined with the newly opened Hilton and it's restaurants() and improvements to the Sparks side of the Vets/Supreme Court Building, it could have been interesting if they continued the pedestrian street over the next two blocks to new path/bridge/funicular down to the library site.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Pretty decent looking development. Nothing special, but with the right materials, it could still be a good addition. Anything designed by Hobin usually turns out well.

Though the building does look a bit chunky from Portage and Zibi, Clardige Moon should counterbalance.

One thing I'm concerned about is the lack or retail in this and most buildings between the CBD and the escarpment. If we expect people to walk from work to the new library, you need something in between to make the walk livelier.

If this development and Cathedral Hill would have included retail, combined with the newly opened Hilton and it's restaurants() and improvements to the Sparks side of the Vets/Supreme Court Building, it could have been interesting if they continued the pedestrian street over the next two blocks to new path/bridge/funicular down to the library site.
that #5 in the photo above is actually supposed to be an eventual stair/elevator down to pooley's bridge, depending on funding and feasibility.

I'd agree about the retail, that's a residential neighbourhood (which is why i'm moving there next month). I dont think sparks west of Bay needs anything though, it would clash with confederation boulevard. There will be some opportunities for retail on Queen in whatever goes in the Lutheran's parking lot, but ultimately redevelopment of queen towers and the shared services canada building will be needed i think.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 3:54 PM

The area is now fenced off and machinery is on site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa